Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Refuse'
n : food that is discarded (as from a kitchen) [syn: garbage,
food waste, scraps]
- show unwillingness towards; "he declined to join the group on a hike" [syn: decline] [ant: accept]
- refuse to accept; "He refused my offer of hospitality" [syn: reject, pass up, turn down, decline] [ant: accept]
- elude, especially in a baffling way; "This behavior defies explanation" [syn: defy, resist] [ant: lend oneself]
- refuse to let have; "She denies me every pleasure"; "he denies her her weekly allowance" [syn: deny] [ant: allow]
- resist immunologically the introduction of some foreign tissue or organ; "His body rejected the liver of the donor" [syn: resist, reject]
- refuse entrance or membership; "They turned away hundreds of fans"; "Black people were often rejected by country clubs" [syn: reject, turn down, turn away] [ant: admit]
- Refuse \Re*fuse"\ (r?*f?z"), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Refused
(-f?zd"); p. pr. & vb. n. Refusing.] [F. refuser, either
from (assumed) LL. refusare to refuse, v. freq. of L.
refundere to pour back, give back, restore (see Refund to
repay), or. fr. L. recusare to decline, refuse cf. Accuse,
Ruse), influenced by L. refutare to drive back, repel,
refute. Cf. Refute.]
- To deny, as a request, demand, invitation, or command; to decline to do or grant. That never yet refused your hest. --Chaucer.
- (Mil.) To throw back, or cause to keep back (as the
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Refuse'
Waste (also known as rubbish, trash, refuse, garbage, junk) is unwanted or useless materials. Litter is waste which has been disposed of improperly.
In biology, waste is any of the many unwanted substances or toxins that are expelled from living organisms; such as urea, sweat or feces.
Waste is directly linked to human development, both technologically and socially. The compositions of different wastes have varied over time and location, with industrial development and innovation being directly linked to waste materials. Examples of this include plastics and nuclear technology. Some components of waste have economical value and can be recycled once correctly recovered.
Waste is sometimes a subjective concept, because items that some people discard may have value to others. It is widely recognized that waste materials are a valuable resource, whilst there is debate as to how this value is best realized. Such concepts are colloquially expressed in western culture by idioms like "One man's trash is another man's treasure."[See more about Refuse at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Refuse'
'Refuse' in famous quotation sentence
* There are some books that refuse to be written. They stand their ground year after year and will not be persuaded. It isn't because the book is not there and worth being written -- it is only because the right form of the story does not present itself. There is only one right form for a story and if you fail to find that form the story will not tell itself. - Mark Twain
* People who ask our advice almost never take it. Yet we should never refuse to give it, upon request, for it often helps us to see our own way more clearly. - Brendan Francis
Click here for more related quotations on 'Refuse'
Refuse Sample Sentences in News
- Some Insurers Refuse To Cover Contraceptives, Despite Health Law Requirement
Some Insurers Refuse To Cover Contraceptives, Despite Health Law Requirement Read more on this news related to 'Refuse'
- Research and Markets: FDA's Refuse to Accept Policy - How to Prepare 510 (K) Submission to Avoid the Pitfalls of the ...
Research and Markets has announced the addition of the "FDA's Refuse to Accept Policy - How to Prepare 510 Su Read more on this news related to 'Refuse'
- Golfers Refuse to Testify About on-Course Fight
Golfers refuse to testify against each other about on-course fight over rules, charges nixed Read more on this news related to 'Refuse'