Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Refined'
- used of persons and their behavior; cultivated and genteel; "she was delicate and refined and unused to hardship"; "refined people with refined taste" [ant: unrefined]
- freed from impurities by processing; "refined sugar"; "refined oil"; "to gild refined gold"- Shakespeare [syn: processed] [ant: unrefined]
- showing a high degree of refinement and the assurance that comes from wide social experience; "his polished manner"; "maintained an urbane tone in his letters" [syn: polished, svelte, urbane]
- made pure [syn: purified, sublimate]
- suggesting taste, ease, and wealth [syn: elegant, graceful]
- free from what is tawdry or unbecoming; "a neat style"; "a neat set of rules"; "she hated to have her neat plans upset" [syn: neat, tasteful]
- Refined \Re*fined"\ (-f?nd"), a.
Freed from impurities or alloy; purifed; polished; cultured;
delicate; as; refined gold; refined language; refined
Refined wits who honored poesy with their pens.
-- Re*fin"ed*ly (r?*f?n"?d*l?), adv. -- Re*fin"ed*ness,
- Refine \Re*fine"\ (r?*f?n"), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Refined
(-find"); p. pr. & vb. n. Refining.] [Pref. re- + fine to
make fine: cf. F. raffiner.]
- To reduce to a fine, unmixed, or pure state; to free from impurities; to free from dross or alloy; to separate from extraneous matter; to purify; to defecate; as, to refine gold or silver; to refine iron; to refine wine or sugar. I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined. --Zech. xiii. 9.
- To purify from what is gross, coarse, vulgar, inelegant, low, and the like; to make elegant or exellent; to polish;
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Refined'
Refining (also called affining) is the process of purification of a (1) substance or a (2) form. The term is usually used of a natural resource that is almost in a usable form, but which is more useful in its pure form. For instance, most types of natural petroleum will burn straight from the ground, but it will burn poorly and quickly clog an engine with residues and by-products. The term is broad, and may include more drastic transformations, such as the reduction of ore to metal (for which see Refining (metallurgy)).
The refining of liquids is often accomplished by distillation or fractionation. Gases can be refined in this way as well, by being cooled and/or compressed until they liquefy. Gases and liquids can also be refined by extraction with a selective solvent that dissolves away either the substance of interest, or the unwanted impurities.[See more about Refined at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Refined'
'Refined' in famous quotation sentence
* It is wise to apply the oil of refined politeness to the mechanisms of friendship. - Colette
Click here for more related quotations on 'Refined'