Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Reckon'
- expect, believe, or suppose; "I imagine she earned a lot of money with her new novel"; "I thought to find her in a bad state"; "he didn't think to find her in the kitchen"; "I guess she is angry at me for standing her up" [syn: think, opine, suppose, imagine, guess]
- judge to be probable [syn: calculate, estimate, count on, figure, forecast]
- deem to be; "She views this quite differently from me"; "I consider her to be shallow"; "I don't see the situation quite as negatively as you do" [syn: see, consider, view, regard]
- make a mathematical calculation or computation [syn: calculate, cipher, cypher, compute, work out, figure]
- have faith or confidence in; "you can count on me to help you any time"; "Look to your friends for support"; "You can bet on that!"; "Depend on your family in times of crisis" [syn: count, bet, depend, look, calculate]
- take account of; "You have to reckon with our opponents"; "Count on the monsoon" [syn: count]
- Reckon \Reck"on\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Reckoned; p. pr. & vb.
n. Reckoning.] [OE. rekenen, AS. gerecenian to explain;
akin to D. rekenen to reckon, G. rechnen, OHG. rahnjan), and
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Reckon'
Counting is the action of finding the number of elements of a finite set of objects. The traditional way of counting consists of continually increasing a (mental or spoken) counter by a unit for every element of the set, in some order, while marking (or displacing) those elements to avoid visiting the same element more than once, until no unmarked elements are left; if the counter was set to one after the first object, the value after visiting the final object gives the desired number of elements. Counting is also used (primarily by children) to demonstrate knowledge of the number names and the number system. The related term enumeration refers to determining the number of elements of a finite (combinatorial) set in some manner, not necessarily by explicitly counting in the above sense.[See more about Reckon at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Reckon'
'Reckon' in famous quotation sentence
* And whether I come to my own today or in ten thousand or ten million years, I can cheefully take it now, or with equal cheerfulness I can wait... And as to you, Life, I reckon you are the leavings of many deaths, (No doubt I have died myself ten thousand times before.) - Walt Whitman
* Words are wise men's counters, they do but reckon with them, but they are the money of fools. - Thomas Hobbes
Click here for more related quotations on 'Reckon'
Reckon Sample Sentences in News
- Reckon delegates descend upon Queenstown for conference
Reckon NZ has chosen Queenstown as the perfect venue to celebrate the 10th anniversary of its Reckon NZ annual conference - hot on the heels of the rebrand of its entire product suite. Over 90 Reckon NZ delegates - including Reckon-accredited partners, trainers, accountants, IT consultants, financial advisors and bookkeepers - will hit Queenstown to celebrate the Read more on this news related to 'Reckon'
- Reckon chooses Queenstown for 10th anniversary conference
Reckon NZ has chosen Queenstown as the perfect venue to celebrate the 10th anniversary of its Reckon NZ annual conference - hot on the heels of the rebrand of its entire product suite. Read more on this news related to 'Reckon'
- More Risks for Regal to Reckon With
More Risks for Regal to Reckon With Read more on this news related to 'Reckon'