Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Recess'
Recess Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- a state of abeyance or suspended business [syn: deferral]
- a small concavity [syn: recession, niche, corner]
- an arm off of a larger body of water (often between rocky headlands) [syn: inlet]
- an enclosure that is set back or indented [syn: niche]
- a pause from doing something (as work); "we took a 10-minute break"; "he took time out to recuperate" [syn: respite, break, time out] v
- put into a recess; "recess lights"
- make a recess in; "recess the piece of wood"
- close at the end of a session; "The court adjourned" [syn: adjourn, break up]
- Recess \Re*cess"\, n. [L. recessus, fr. recedere, recessum. See
- A withdrawing or retiring; a moving back; retreat; as, the recess of the tides. Every degree of ignorance being so far a recess and degradation from rationality. --South. My recess hath given them confidence that I may be conquered. --Eikon Basilike.
- The state of being withdrawn; seclusion; privacy. In the recess of the jury they are to consider the evidence. --Sir M. Hale. Good verse recess and solitude requires. --Dryden.
- Remission or suspension of business or procedure; intermission, as of a legislative body, court, or school. The recess of . . . Parliament lasted six weeks. --Macaulay.
- Part of a room formed by the receding of the wall, as an alcove, niche, etc. A bed which stood in a deep recess. --W. Irving.
- A place of retirement, retreat, secrecy, or seclusion. Departure from his happy place, our sweet Recess, and only consolation left. --Milton.
- Secret or abstruse part; as, the difficulties and recesses of science. --I. Watts.
- (Bot. & Zo["o]l.) A sinus.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Recess'
- Recess: Recess may refer to: Recess (break), a break period. Recess (motion), in parliamentary procedure. Recess (TV series), an animated series by ...
- Recess (TV series): Recess is an American animated television series that was created by Paul Germain and Joe Ansolabehere , and produced by Walt Disney ...
- Recess (break): Recess is a general term for a period of time in which a group of people is temporarily dismissed from its duties. a recess is initiated ...
- Recess Records: Recess Records is an independent record label founded in 1989 with the release of F.Y.P 's Extra Credit, an 11 song 7-inch record. ...
- Recess (motion): NOTOC_In parliamentary procedure , "recess" refers to legislative bodies—such as parliament s, assemblies , juries —that are released to ...
- Recess, County Galway: Recess is a village in County Galway , Ireland . Its official name is in Irish , Sraith Saileach, and translates as "stream of the willow ...
- Recess appointment: A recess appointment is the appointment, by the President of the United States , of a senior federal official while the Senate is in recess ...
Words and phrases related to 'Recess'
Recess Sample Sentences in News
- Skrillex Surprises Fans with ‘Recess’ Album Release
Skrillex now has more in common with Beyoncé than a pile of Grammys. They both like to release surprise albums. Starting on the evening of March 10,... Read more on this news related to 'Recess'
- The Learning Network Blog: Do Kids Need Recess?
Is recess just for elementary school students, or should students in middle school — or even high school — have some form of recess or unstructured time? Read more on this news related to 'Recess'
- Students Who Lose Recess Are the Ones Who Need It Most
Taking away recess as a punishment for behavior problems or academic lapses won't help, and might hurt. Read more on this news related to 'Recess'