Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Recess'
Recess Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- a state of abeyance or suspended business [syn: deferral]
- a small concavity [syn: recession, niche, corner]
- an arm off of a larger body of water (often between rocky headlands) [syn: inlet]
- an enclosure that is set back or indented [syn: niche]
- a pause from doing something (as work); "we took a 10-minute break"; "he took time out to recuperate" [syn: respite, break, time out] v
- put into a recess; "recess lights"
- make a recess in; "recess the piece of wood"
- close at the end of a session; "The court adjourned" [syn: adjourn, break up]
- Recess \Re*cess"\, n. [L. recessus, fr. recedere, recessum. See
- A withdrawing or retiring; a moving back; retreat; as, the recess of the tides. Every degree of ignorance being so far a recess and degradation from rationality. --South. My recess hath given them confidence that I may be conquered. --Eikon Basilike.
- The state of being withdrawn; seclusion; privacy. In the recess of the jury they are to consider the evidence. --Sir M. Hale. Good verse recess and solitude requires. --Dryden.
- Remission or suspension of business or procedure; intermission, as of a legislative body, court, or school. The recess of . . . Parliament lasted six weeks. --Macaulay.
- Part of a room formed by the receding of the wall, as an alcove, niche, etc. A bed which stood in a deep recess. --W. Irving.
- A place of retirement, retreat, secrecy, or seclusion. Departure from his happy place, our sweet Recess, and only consolation left. --Milton.
- Secret or abstruse part; as, the difficulties and recesses of science. --I. Watts.
- (Bot. & Zo["o]l.) A sinus.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Recess'
- Recess: Recess may refer to: Recess (break), a break period. Recess (motion), in parliamentary procedure. Recess (TV series), an animated series by ...
- Recess (TV series): Recess is an American animated television series that was created by Paul Germain and Joe Ansolabehere , and produced by Walt Disney ...
- Recess (break): Recess is a general term for a period of time in which a group of people is temporarily dismissed from its duties. a recess is initiated ...
- Recess Records: Recess Records is an independent record label founded in 1989 with the release of F.Y.P 's Extra Credit, an 11 song 7-inch record. ...
- Recess (motion): NOTOC_In parliamentary procedure , "recess" refers to legislative bodies—such as parliament s, assemblies , juries —that are released to ...
- Recess, County Galway: Recess is a village in County Galway , Ireland . Its official name is in Irish , Sraith Saileach, and translates as "stream of the willow ...
- Recess appointment: A recess appointment is the appointment, by the President of the United States , of a senior federal official while the Senate is in recess ...
Words and phrases related to 'Recess'
Recess Sample Sentences in News
- ‘Recess’ publishes student work in creative nonfiction
Marc Briz ’14 launched the online journal that aims to explore nonfiction through digital exhibition. Read more on this news related to 'Recess'
- Senate GOP files friend-of-the-court brief in recess appointment case
WASHINGTON, Nov. 26 (UPI) -- The Senate Republican Conference filed a friend-of-the-court brief with the U.S. Supreme Court to oppose President Obama's use of recess appointment power. Read more on this news related to 'Recess'
- President Obama Can’t Dictate Senate Rules
The Recess Appointments Clause, which gives the president the power to “fill up Vacancies” in federal offices and judgeships that “may happen during the Recess of the Senate,” allows the president to fill vacancies without going through the normal requirements of obtaining the Senate’s “advice and consent.” Read more on this news related to 'Recess'