Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Recess'
Recess Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- a state of abeyance or suspended business [syn: deferral]
- a small concavity [syn: recession, niche, corner]
- an arm off of a larger body of water (often between rocky headlands) [syn: inlet]
- an enclosure that is set back or indented [syn: niche]
- a pause from doing something (as work); "we took a 10-minute break"; "he took time out to recuperate" [syn: respite, break, time out] v
- put into a recess; "recess lights"
- make a recess in; "recess the piece of wood"
- close at the end of a session; "The court adjourned" [syn: adjourn, break up]
- Recess \Re*cess"\, n. [L. recessus, fr. recedere, recessum. See
- A withdrawing or retiring; a moving back; retreat; as, the recess of the tides. Every degree of ignorance being so far a recess and degradation from rationality. --South. My recess hath given them confidence that I may be conquered. --Eikon Basilike.
- The state of being withdrawn; seclusion; privacy. In the recess of the jury they are to consider the evidence. --Sir M. Hale. Good verse recess and solitude requires. --Dryden.
- Remission or suspension of business or procedure; intermission, as of a legislative body, court, or school. The recess of . . . Parliament lasted six weeks. --Macaulay.
- Part of a room formed by the receding of the wall, as an alcove, niche, etc. A bed which stood in a deep recess. --W. Irving.
- A place of retirement, retreat, secrecy, or seclusion. Departure from his happy place, our sweet Recess, and only consolation left. --Milton.
- Secret or abstruse part; as, the difficulties and recesses of science. --I. Watts.
- (Bot. & Zo["o]l.) A sinus.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Recess'
- Recess: Recess may refer to: Recess (break), a break period. Recess (motion), in parliamentary procedure. Recess (TV series), an animated series by ...
- Recess (TV series): Recess is an American animated television series that was created by Paul Germain and Joe Ansolabehere , and produced by Walt Disney ...
- Recess (break): Recess is a general term for a period of time in which a group of people is temporarily dismissed from its duties. a recess is initiated ...
- Recess Records: Recess Records is an independent record label founded in 1989 with the release of F.Y.P 's Extra Credit, an 11 song 7-inch record. ...
- Recess (motion): NOTOC_In parliamentary procedure , "recess" refers to legislative bodies—such as parliament s, assemblies , juries —that are released to ...
- Recess, County Galway: Recess is a village in County Galway , Ireland . Its official name is in Irish , Sraith Saileach, and translates as "stream of the willow ...
- Recess appointment: A recess appointment is the appointment, by the President of the United States , of a senior federal official while the Senate is in recess ...
Words and phrases related to 'Recess'
Recess Sample Sentences in News
- New Study: Does Better Recess Equal A Better School Day?
PRINCETON, N.J., May 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- A new study released today from Mathematica Policy Research and the John W. Gardner Center for Youth and Their Communities at Stanford University suggests ... Read more on this news related to 'Recess'
- Second court invalidates Obama recess appointment
WASHINGTON (AP) — A second federal appeals court has found that President Barack Obama exceeded his power when he bypassed the Senate to install a member to the National Labor Relations Board. Read more on this news related to 'Recess'
- Teacher accused of molesting students used recess activities as cover, police say
Elementary school teacher Michael Howey appeared in court Monday to be arraigned on 17 counts of lewd and lascivious acts with a child under 14 and 23 counts of annoying and molesting a child. Police say he kept a small group of students in the classroom during recess, when he would kiss and touch the children. Read more on this news related to 'Recess'