Realistic Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- aware or expressing awareness of things as they really are; "a realistic description"; "a realistic view of the possibilities"; "a realistic appraisal of our chances"; "the actors tried to create a realistic portrayal of the Africans"
- representing what is real; not abstract or ideal; "realistic portraiture"; "a realistic novel"; "in naturalistic colors"; "the school of naturalistic writers"
- of or relating to the philosophical doctrine of realism; "a realistic system of thought"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Realistic'?
Realistic Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Reality means anything that is real. An event that has actually happened, or a thing which really exists is said to have "reality." Something close to reality is realistic.
Reality is the state of things as they are, rather than as they may appear or might be imagined. In a wider definition, reality includes everything that is and has been, whether or not we can see it and understand it. An even wider definition includes everything that has existed, exists, or will exist.
Reality is often contrasted with what is imaginary, delusional, in the mind, dreams, what is false, what is fictional, or what is abstract. The truth refers to what is real, while falsity refers to what is not. Fictions are not real.
All the same, what is abstract plays a role in everyday life and in academic research. For instance, causality, virtue, life and justice are abstract concepts. They are difficult to define, but they are not pure delusions.
Words and phrases related to 'Realistic'
'Realistic' example sentence in quotations
* We have been taught to believe that negative equals realistic and positive equals unrealistic. - Susan Jeffers
* I never have a realistic sense of self. I either think everything I do is terrible and I'm the worst guy on the planet, or from time to time I'll think I'm the greatest gift to music and the coolest guy who ever lived, but that happens maybe an hour out of the week. Some days I'm more concerned with how my hair looks than what my guitar sounds like. - Dave Navarro
Click here for more related quotations on 'Realistic'
Realistic Sample Sentences in News
- French 2015 GDP view realistic, depends on stability: Hollande
PARIS (Reuters) - The French government's forecast for 1 percent economic growth in 2015 is realistic, but achieving it will depend on low interest rates, stability in Ukraine, a healthy U.S. economy and other factors, President Francois Hollande said on Thursday. The Socialist government revised down its growth forecast for 2015 from a previous 1.7 percent, a Read more on this news related to 'Realistic'
- Arsenal's injuries offer hope to Anderlecht
BRUSSELS (Reuters) - If Anderlecht are to have any realistic chance of prolonging their involvement in the Champions League beyond the group stage, a home win over Arsenal on Wednesday is paramount. The Belgium side are joint bottom of Group D with one point from their opening two games, two points behind Arsenal and five behind leaders Borussia Dortmund. Arsenal Read more on this news related to 'Realistic'
- Manchester United's Realistic Expectations for the 2014/15 Season
The 2014/15 season feels as if it is beginning to hit its stride, and as Manchester United prepare to face West Bromwich Albion , it seems like a good time to take a look at their chances of success. The idea that a title challenge is not automatically assumed to be on the cards is an unsettling one for United fans. Many of the club's supporters will not remem Read more on this news related to 'Realistic'