Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Ravished'
Ravished Meaning and Definition from Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
- Ravish \Rav"ish\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Ravished; p. pr. & vb.
n. Ravishing.] [OE. ravissen, F. ravir, fr. L. rapere to
snatch or tear away, to ravish. See Rapacious, Rapid, and
- To seize and carry away by violence; to snatch by force. These hairs which thou dost ravish from my chin Will quicken, and accuse thee. --Shak. This hand shall ravish thy pretended right. --Dryden.
- To transport with joy or delight; to delight to ecstasy. ``Ravished . . . for the joy.'' --Chaucer. Thou hast ravished my heart. --Cant. iv. 9.
- To have carnal knowledge of (a woman) by force, and against her consent; to rape. --Shak. Syn: To transport; entrance; enrapture; delight; violate; deflour; force.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Ravished'
- Ravished Armenia: Ravished Armenia is the title of both a book written in 1918 by Arshaluys (Aurora) Mardiganian about her experiences in the Armenian ...
Words and phrases related to 'Ravished'
Ravished Sample Sentences in News
- 2 homes charred in separate fires
Fire ravished two mobile homes in separate incidents early Friday morning. The blazes were reported within 30 minutes of the other. Read more on this news related to 'Ravished'
- Faith, perseverance and volunteers to rebuild church ravished by fire
The pastor of a New Orleans church says it will take time and prayers to put their building back together. Read more on this news related to 'Ravished'
- Thumbs up, thumbs down for Hinsdale
Thumbs up to the handful of local officials and Graue Mill Homeowners Association for helping secure more than $3 million in state and federal flood mitigation grants, which will be put toward a $3.4 flood proofing project at Graue Mill hosing area. Torrential downpours ravished the community in 2010 and 2013, but the construction of berms, flood gates, upgraded p Read more on this news related to 'Ravished'