Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Rainbow'
- an arc of colored light in the sky caused by refraction of the sun's rays by rain
- an illusory hope; "chasing rainbows"
- Rainbow \Rain"bow`\, n. [AS. regenboga, akin to G. regenbogen.
See Rain, and Bow anything bent,]
A bow or arch exhibiting, in concentric bands, the several
colors of the spectrum, and formed in the part of the
hemisphere opposite to the sun by the refraction and
reflection of the sun's rays in drops of falling rain.
Note: Besides the ordinary bow, called also primary rainbow,
which is formed by two refractions and one reflection,
there is also another often seen exterior to it, called
the secondary rainbow, concentric with the first, and
separated from it by a small interval. It is formed by
two refractions and two reflections, is much fainter
than the primary bow, and has its colors arranged in
the reverse order from those of the latter.
Lunar rainbow, a fainter arch or rainbow, formed by the
Marine rainbow, or Sea bow, a similar bow seen in the
spray of waves at sea.
Rainbow trout (Zo["o]l.), a bright-colored trout
(Salmoirideus), native of the mountains of California,
but now extensively introduced into the Eastern States.
Japan, and other countries; -- called also brook trout,
mountain trout, and golden trout.
Rainbow wrasse. (Zo["o]l.) See under Wrasse.
Supernumerary rainbow, a smaller bow, usually of red and
green colors only, sometimes seen within the primary or
without the secondary rainbow, and in contact with them.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Rainbow'
A rainbow is an optical and meteorological phenomenon that causes a spectrum of light to appear in the sky when the Sun shines onto droplets of moisture in the Earth's atmosphere. They take the form of a multicoloured arc, with red on the outer part of the arc and violet on the inner section of the arc.
A rainbow spans a continuous spectrum of colours; the distinct bands are an artifact of human colour vision. The most commonly cited and remembered sequence, in English, is Newton's sevenfold red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet (popularly memorized by mnemonics like Roy G. Biv). Rainbows can be caused by other forms of water than rain, including mist, spray, and dew.
Rainbows can be observed whenever there are water drops in the air and sunlight shining from behind at a low altitude angle. The most spectacular rainbow displays happen when half of the sky is still dark with raining clouds and the observer is at a spot with clear sky in the direction of the Sun. The result is a luminous rainbow that contrasts with the darkened background.[See more about Rainbow at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Rainbow'
'Rainbow' in famous quotation sentence
* No vision and you perish No Ideal, and you're lost Your heart must ever cherish Some faith at any cost. Some hope, some dream to cling to, Some rainbow in the sky, Some melody to sing to, Some service that is high. - Harriet Du Autermont
* May the sun always shine on your windowpane May a rainbow be certain to follow each rain May the hand of a friend always be near you May God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you. - Blessing Irish
Click here for more related quotations on 'Rainbow'
Rainbow Sample Sentences in News
- Rainbow Springs State Park manager focused on education
For millennia, the headsprings of the Rainbow River have attracted humans to the crystal clear water that bubbles up from the depths of the earth. Read more on this news related to 'Rainbow'
- Rainbow Light's Leadership Initiative Translates into Double-Digit Growth for Most Trusted Natural Vitamin Brand
ANAHEIM, Calif., March 7, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Rainbow Light Nutritional Systems , the number-one trusted natural vitamin brand, today unveiled its new Game Changer/Life Changer campaign at Natural Products ... Read more on this news related to 'Rainbow'
- Rainbow Light Launches Circle of Care Program to Celebrate 30 Years of Leadership in Corporate Social Responsibility
ANAHEIM, Calif., March 6, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Rainbow Light Nutritional Systems, the number-one trusted natural vitamin brand, today announced its Circle of Care corporate social responsibility (CSR) program. This new program will formalize Rainbow Light's history of good corporate citizenship that began with the introduction of the first natural, food-based Read more on this news related to 'Rainbow'