Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Radix'
n : (numeration system) the positive integer that is equivalent
to one in the next higher counting place; "10 is the
radix of the decimal system" [syn: base]
[also: radices (pl)]
- Radix \Ra"dix\, n.; pl. Radices, E. Radixes. [L. radix,
-icis, root. See Radish.]
- (Philol.) A primitive, from which spring other words; a radical; a root; an etymon.
- (Math.) (a) A number or quantity which is arbitrarily made the fundamental number of any system; a base. Thus, 10 is the radix, or base, of the common system of logarithms, and also of the decimal system of numeration. (b) (Alg.) A finite expression, from which a series is derived. [R.] --Hutton.
- (Bot.) The root of a plant.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Radix'
In mathematical numeral systems, the base or radix for the simplest case is the number of unique digits, including zero, that a positional numeral system uses to represent numbers. For example, for the decimal system (the most common system in use today) the radix is ten, because it uses the ten digits from 0 through 9.
In any numeral system, the base is written as "10". In a base ten numeral system, "10" represents the number ten; in a base two system, "10" represents the number two.
Radix is a Latin word meaning root (e.g. "eradicate", to pull up from the root – destroy; "radish", a root vegetable; "radiculopathy", medical pathology at the root of a nerve). Root can be considered a synonym for base in the arithmetical sense.
Radices are usually natural numbers. However, more sophisticated positional systems are possible, e.g. golden ratio base (whose radix is a non-integer algebraic number), and negative base (whose radix is negative).[See more about Radix at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Radix'
Radix Sample Sentences in News
- Religious camp loses tax exemption after sale
Radix, a rural Lancaster County religious nonprofit group that holds large fitness camps and other events at its Camp Gargano, lost its religious property tax exemption Tuesday. Read more on this news related to 'Radix'