Radiation Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- (medicine) the treatment of disease (especially cancer) by exposure to radiation from a radioactive substance
- the act of spreading outward from a central source
- a radial arrangement of nerve fibers connecting different parts of the brain
- the spread of a group of organisms into new habitats
- energy that is radiated or transmitted in the form of rays or waves or particles
- the spontaneous emission of a stream of particles or electromagnetic rays in nuclear decay
- syndrome resulting from exposure to ionizing radiation (e.g., exposure to radioactive chemicals or to nuclear explosions); low doses cause diarrhea and nausea and vomiting and sometimes loss of hair; greater exposure can cause sterility and cataracts and
Definitions from Wiktionary
- energy that is radiated or transmitted in the form of rays or waves or particles ,
- the act of spreading outward from a central source ,
- syndrome resulting from exposure to ionizing radiation (e.g., exposure to radioactive chemicals or to nuclear explosions); low doses cause diarrhea and nausea and vomiting and sometimes loss of hair; greater exposure can cause sterility and cataracts and some forms of cancer and other diseases; severe exposure can cause death within hours; "he was suffering from radiation" ,
- the spontaneous emission of a stream of particles or electromagnetic rays in nuclear decay ,
- the spread of a group of organisms into new habitats ,
- a radial arrangement of nerve fibers connecting different parts of the brain ,
- (medicine) the treatment of disease (especially cancer) by exposure to a radioactive substance
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Radiation'?
Radiation Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Radiation is when energy moves through space away from a source (of radiation). There are two broad classes of radiation: ionizing radiation which comes from radioactive materials and x-ray machines and non-ionizing radiation (usually electromagnetic radiation) which comes from other sources. Ionizing radiation, which carries a large energy in each particle, can change things that it hits, hurting people or animals or causing chemical changes. Non-ionizing radiation does not cause microscopic damage, but some types can cause chemical changes or make things hotter.
There are many different ways that energy can travel through space in this way. One way is in the form of shifting electrical and magnetic fields. This is why some common types of radiation are referred to as Electromagnetic radiation, also known as light. (A different way to think of electromagnetic radiation is as a stream of particles of energy called photons.) Another way that radiation can travel is in the form of tiny particles. These are pieces of atoms, like neutrons or protons (please see the article on atoms for more information). When radiation is made up of quickly moving particles (like pieces of atoms), it is referred to as particle radiation.
Words and phrases related to 'Radiation'
'Radiation' example sentence in quotations
Click here for more related quotations on 'Radiation'
Radiation Sample Sentences in News
- Latest in Imaging: Radiation Oncology
Thanks to new 3D imaging technology, known as AlignRT, the radiation oncology team at Cone Health Cancer Center is able to move patients into the most precise treatment position, as well as monitor them throughout the course of the radiation session to make sure they stay in the correct position. Through the combination of using […] Read more on this news related to 'Radiation'
- Hazardous Radiation Threats To Future Deep-Space Astronauts
April Flowers for redOrbit.com - Your Universe Online For NASA, manned missions to Mars and other deep-space destinations remain an essential goal. A new study from the University of New Hampshire, however, reveals that researchers are only beginning to understand and characterize the radiation hazards such missions would encounter. UNH associate physics professor Read more on this news related to 'Radiation'
- Two Alaska Radiation Oncology Centers Awarded Ambulatory Health Care Accreditation From The Joint Commission
NASHVILLE, Tenn., Oct. 24, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- RBS Evolution, owner and operator of cancer centers in rural, underserved areas, announced today that two of the company's radiation oncology centers, Peninsula Radiation Oncology Center in Soldotna, AK and Southeast Radiation Oncology Center in Juneau, AK, have earned The Joint Commission's Gold Seal of Appr Read more on this news related to 'Radiation'