Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Rabbet'
n : a rectangular groove made to hold two pieces together [syn:
- join with a rabbet joint
- cut a rectangualr groove into
- Rabbet \Rab"bet\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Rabbeted; p. pr. & vb.
n. Rabbeting.] [F. raboter to plane, plane down,rabot a
plane; pref. re- re- + OF. abouter, aboter. See Abut, and
- To cut a rabbet in; to furnish with a rabbet.
- To unite the edges of, as boards, etc., in a rabbet joint.
- Rabbet \Rab"bet\, n. [See Rabbet v., and cf. Rebate, n.]
- (Carp.) A longitudinal channel, groove, or recess cut out of the edge or face of any body; especially, one intended to receive another member, so as to break or cover the joint, or more easily to hold the members in place; thus, the groove cut for a panel, for a pane of glass, or for a door, is a rabbet, or rebate.
- Same as Rabbet joint, below. Rabbet joint (Carp.), a joint formed by fitting together rabbeted boards or timbers: -- called also rabbet. Rabbet plane, a joiner's plane for cutting a rabbet. --Moxon.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Rabbet'
A rabbet (also known as rebate) is a recess or groove cut into the edge of a piece of machineable material, usually wood. When viewed in cross-section, a rabbet is two-sided and open to the edge or end of the surface into which it is cut.
The word rabbet is from Old French rabbat, "a recess into a wall."
An example of the use of a rabbet is in a glazing bar where it makes provision for the insertion of the pane of glass and putty. It may also accommodate the edge of the back panel of a cabinet. It is also used in door and casement window jambs, and for shiplap planking. A rabbet can be used to form a joint with another piece of wood (often containing a dado).
A rabbet can be cut by the following methods:[See more about Rabbet at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Rabbet'
Rabbet Sample Sentences in News
- Automatic Lineal Cutting System can be used on double miter saws.
For use on double miter saws, SawGear is available with Double MiterPro™ kit. It adds CNC accuracy to length cutting and includes back rabbet compensation software standard for framing applications. Eliminating need to repeatedly move stops by hand, double miter saw users can enter lengths into keypad. Cutting system sets up in minutes, attaches to either Read more on this news related to 'Rabbet'