Quantity Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
- how much there is of something that you can quantify [syn: measure, amount]
- an adequate or large amount; "he had a quantity of ammunition"
- something that has a magnitude and can be represented in mathematical expressions by a constant or a variable
- Square \Square\, a.
- (Geom.) Having four equal sides and four right angles; as, a square figure.
- Forming a right angle; as, a square corner.
- Having a shape broad for the height, with rectilineal and angular rather than curving outlines; as, a man of a square frame.
- Exactly suitable or correspondent; true; just. She's a most truimphant lady, if report be square to her. --Shak.
- Rendering equal justice; exact; fair; honest, as square dealing.
- Even; leaving no balance; as, to make or leave the accounts square.
- Leaving nothing; hearty; vigorous. By Heaven, square eaters. More meat, I say. --Beau. & Fl.
- (Naut.) At right angles with the mast or the keel, and parallel to the horizon; -- said of the yards of a square-rigged vessel when they are so braced. Note: Square is often used in self-explaining compounds or combination, as in square-built, square-cornered, square-cut, square-nosed, etc. Square foot, an area equal to that of a square the sides of which are twelwe inches; 144 square inches. Square knot, a knot in which the terminal and standing parts are parallel to each other; a reef knot. See Illust. under Knot. Square measure, the measure of a superficies or surface which depends on the length and breadth taken conjointly. The units of square measure are squares whose sides are the linear measures; as, square inches, square feet, square meters, etc. Square number. See square, n., 6. Square root of a number or quantity (Math.), that number or quantity which, multiplied by itself produces the given number or quantity. Square sail (Naut.), a four-sided sail extended upon a yard suspended by the middle; sometimes, the foresail of a schooner set upon a yard; also, a cutter's or sloop's sail boomed out. See Illust. of Sail. Square stern (Naut.), a stern having a transom and joining the counter timbers at an angle, as distinguished from a round stern, which has no transom. Three-square, Five-square, etc., having three, five,
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Quantity'?
Quantity Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Quantity or amount is how much of something there is that can be counted or measured.
Whole numbers (1, 2, 3…) are used to count things. This can be done by pointing to each one. As things are pointed to, a number is said. Start with the number one. Each time another thing is pointed to, the next whole number is used. When the last thing in a group it pointed to, that number is the quantity of the group.
Measuring is done with a ruler or a machine. We put a ruler next to a thing to measure how long it is. We put things on a scale to measure their mass. Other machines are used to measure temperature, speed, or electricity.
When measuring things, a whole number might not be the best answer. A distance might be longer than 5 meters, but less than 6 meters. Meter sticks are marked off in parts of a meter. Decimals are formed by marking off a ruler in ten equal parts. Each part is a tenth. 5.2 meters is a little bit longer than 5 meters. 5.7 meters is a little bit shorter than 6 meters. Each of these tenths can be marked with ten smaller parts. The one hundred centimeters on a meter stick are done this way.[See more about Quantity at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Quantity'
'Quantity' example sentence in quotations
* I have known a vast quantity of nonsense talked about bad men not looking you in the face. Don't trust that conventional idea. Dishonesty will stare honestly out of countenance any day of the week, if there is anything to get got by it. - Charles Dickens
* Some authors should be paid by the quantity NOT written. - Anon.
Click here for more related quotations on 'Quantity'
Quantity Sample Sentences in News
Quality over quantity is the Government's aim with the state housing stock. Quality over quantity for state housing State Housing, Government, Nick Smith Read more on this news related to 'Quantity'
- Quality over quantity for state housing
Quality over quantity is the Government's aim with the state housing stock. Read more on this news related to 'Quantity'
- Prices edge lower at Kochi tea auction
The Kochi tea auction market continues to witness a declining trend, with prices quoting lower for almost all varieties. In Sale No 20, the quantity on offer in the CTC dust category was... Read more on this news related to 'Quantity'