Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Punctual'
adj : acting or arriving or performed exactly at the time
appointed; "she expected guests to be punctual at
meals"; "he is not a particularly punctual person";
"punctual payment" [ant: unpunctual]
- Punctual \Punc"tu*al\, a. [F. ponctuel (cf. Sp. puntual, It.
puntuale), from L. punctum point. See Point.]
- Consisting in a point; limited to a point; unextended. [R.] ``This punctual spot.'' --Milton. The theory of the punctual existence of the soul. -- Krauth.
- Observant of nice points; punctilious; precise. Punctual to tediousness in all that he relates. -- Bp. Burnet. So much on punctual niceties they stand. --C. Pitt.
- Appearing or done at, or adhering exactly to, a regular or an appointed time; precise; prompt; as, a punctual man; a punctual payment. ``The race of the undeviating and punctual sun.'' --Cowper. These sharp strokes [of a pendulum], with their inexorably steady intersections, so agree with our successive thoughts that they seem like the punctual stops counting off our very souls into the past. -- J. Martineau.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Punctual'
Punctuality is the characteristic of being able to complete a required task or fulfill an obligation before or at a previously-designated time. "Punctual" is often used synonymously with "on time."
According to each culture, there is often an understanding about what is considered an acceptable degree of punctuality. Usually, a small amount of lateness is acceptable; this is commonly about ten or fifteen minutes in Western cultures. In some cultures, such as Japanese society, or in the military there basically is no allowance.
Some cultures have an unspoken understanding that actual deadlines are different from stated deadlines; for example, it may be understood in a particular culture that people will turn up an hour later than advertised. In this case, since everyone understands that a 9 am meeting will actually start around 10 am, no one is inconvenienced when everyone turns up at 10 am.[See more about Punctual at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Punctual'
'Punctual' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Punctual'
Punctual Sample Sentences in News
- Sonakshi, Akshay: B-Town's punctual on-screen couple
Mumbai, April 12 (IANS) "Holiday" is the fourth film in which Sonakshi Sinha has been cast with Akshay Kumar. She says there's no doubt that they share a good working rapport, but the fact that they are both punctual also keeps the producers happy. The duo has earlier featured in films like "Rowdy Rathore", "Joker" and "Once Read more on this news related to 'Punctual'
- Least punctual airlines revealed
Monarch was last year's least punctual carrier, with delays of more than an hour on nearly seven per cent of its flights Read more on this news related to 'Punctual'
- Sonakshi Sinha, Akshay Kumar: B-Town's punctual on-screen couple
Mumbai, April 12 : "Holiday" is the fourth film in which Sonakshi Sinha has been cast with Akshay Kumar. She says there's no doubt that they share a good working rapport, but the fact that they are both punctual also keeps the producers happy. Read more on this news related to 'Punctual'