Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Punctual'
adj : acting or arriving or performed exactly at the time
appointed; "she expected guests to be punctual at
meals"; "he is not a particularly punctual person";
"punctual payment" [ant: unpunctual]
- Punctual \Punc"tu*al\, a. [F. ponctuel (cf. Sp. puntual, It.
puntuale), from L. punctum point. See Point.]
- Consisting in a point; limited to a point; unextended. [R.] ``This punctual spot.'' --Milton. The theory of the punctual existence of the soul. -- Krauth.
- Observant of nice points; punctilious; precise. Punctual to tediousness in all that he relates. -- Bp. Burnet. So much on punctual niceties they stand. --C. Pitt.
- Appearing or done at, or adhering exactly to, a regular or an appointed time; precise; prompt; as, a punctual man; a punctual payment. ``The race of the undeviating and punctual sun.'' --Cowper. These sharp strokes [of a pendulum], with their inexorably steady intersections, so agree with our successive thoughts that they seem like the punctual stops counting off our very souls into the past. -- J. Martineau.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Punctual'
Punctuality is the characteristic of being able to complete a required task or fulfill an obligation before or at a previously-designated time. "Punctual" is often used synonymously with "on time."
According to each culture, there is often an understanding about what is considered an acceptable degree of punctuality. Usually, a small amount of lateness is acceptable; this is commonly about ten or fifteen minutes in Western cultures. In some cultures, such as Japanese society, or in the military there basically is no allowance.
Some cultures have an unspoken understanding that actual deadlines are different from stated deadlines; for example, it may be understood in a particular culture that people will turn up an hour later than advertised. In this case, since everyone understands that a 9 am meeting will actually start around 10 am, no one is inconvenienced when everyone turns up at 10 am.[See more about Punctual at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Punctual'
'Punctual' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Punctual'
Punctual Sample Sentences in News
- Safety & punctuality top agenda of Eastern railway
General Manager of Eastern Railway R K Gupta today emphasised on safe and punctual running of mail/express and local trains. Read more on this news related to 'Punctual'
- Hax: Folks who run late fit into 1 of 4 categories
While I’m away, readers give the advice: On the anguish of the prompt who fall in love with the tardy: As a punctual person who ... Read more on this news related to 'Punctual'
- Alaska Airlines in June was the most punctual major U.S. airline, with an on-time arrival rate of 85.6 percent,
according to FlightStats. On average, North American airlines delivered 73.3 percent of their flights to the gate within 15 minutes of schedule. Read more on this news related to 'Punctual'