Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Punctual'
adj : acting or arriving or performed exactly at the time
appointed; "she expected guests to be punctual at
meals"; "he is not a particularly punctual person";
"punctual payment" [ant: unpunctual]
- Punctual \Punc"tu*al\, a. [F. ponctuel (cf. Sp. puntual, It.
puntuale), from L. punctum point. See Point.]
- Consisting in a point; limited to a point; unextended. [R.] ``This punctual spot.'' --Milton. The theory of the punctual existence of the soul. -- Krauth.
- Observant of nice points; punctilious; precise. Punctual to tediousness in all that he relates. -- Bp. Burnet. So much on punctual niceties they stand. --C. Pitt.
- Appearing or done at, or adhering exactly to, a regular or an appointed time; precise; prompt; as, a punctual man; a punctual payment. ``The race of the undeviating and punctual sun.'' --Cowper. These sharp strokes [of a pendulum], with their inexorably steady intersections, so agree with our successive thoughts that they seem like the punctual stops counting off our very souls into the past. -- J. Martineau.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Punctual'
Punctuality is the characteristic of being able to complete a required task or fulfill an obligation before or at a previously-designated time. "Punctual" is often used synonymously with "on time."
According to each culture, there is often an understanding about what is considered an acceptable degree of punctuality. Usually, a small amount of lateness is acceptable; this is commonly about ten or fifteen minutes in Western cultures. In some cultures, such as Japanese society, or in the military there basically is no allowance.
Some cultures have an unspoken understanding that actual deadlines are different from stated deadlines; for example, it may be understood in a particular culture that people will turn up an hour later than advertised. In this case, since everyone understands that a 9 am meeting will actually start around 10 am, no one is inconvenienced when everyone turns up at 10 am.[See more about Punctual at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Punctual'
'Punctual' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Punctual'
Punctual Sample Sentences in News
- Alaska Airlines in February was the most punctual major U.S. airline,
with an on-time arrival rate of 86.2 percent, according to FlightStats. On average, North American airlines delivered 70.1 percent of their flights to the gate within 15 minutes of schedule. Read more on this news related to 'Punctual'
- Get to work on time and win a free ride from Uber and PayrollHero!
Following its Philippines launch, Uber has announced a new partnership with PayrollHero, offering free rides to punctual employees Do you make it a point to reach your workplace on time every day? If so, have you ever hoped for a tangible reward for waking early, quite apart from the threat of reduced pay and/or dismissal? ... Read more on this news related to 'Punctual'
- Treat love life like business, say experts
Be punctual, attentive and make an effort to keep flames of romance alight, says new study Read more on this news related to 'Punctual'