Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Pulpit'
n : a platform raised above the surrounding level to give
prominence to the person on it [syn: dais, podium, rostrum,
ambo, stump, soapbox]
- Pulpit \Pul"pit\, n. [L. pulpitum: cf. OF. pulpite, F.
- An elevated place, or inclosed stage, in a church, in which the clergyman stands while preaching. I stand like a clerk in my pulpit. --Chaucer.
- The whole body of the clergy; preachers as a class; also, preaching. I say the pulpit (in the sober use Of its legitimate, peculiar powers) Must stand acknowledged, while the world shall stand, The most important and effectual guard, Support, and ornament of virtue's cause. --Cowper.
- A desk, or platform, for an orator or public speaker.
- Pulpit \Pul"pit\, a.
Of or pertaining to the pulpit, or preaching; as, a pulpit
orator; pulpit eloquence.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Pulpit'
Pulpit is a speakers' stand in a church. In many Christian churches, there are two speakers' stands at the front of the church. Typically, the one on the left (as viewed by the congregation) is called the pulpit. Since the Gospel lesson is often read from the pulpit, the pulpit side of the church is sometimes called the gospel side.
The other speaker's stand, usually on the right (as viewed by the congregation), is known as the lectern. The word lectern comes from the Latin word "lectus", past participle of legere, meaning "to read", because the lectern primarily functions as a reading stand. It is typically used by lay people to read the scripture lessons (except for the Gospel lesson), to lead the congregation in prayer, and to make announcements. Because the epistle lesson is usually read from the lectern, the lectern side of the church is sometimes called the epistle side. In other churches, the lectern, from which the Epistle is read, is located to the congregation's left and the pulpit, from which the sermon is delivered, is located on the right (the Gospel being read from either the center of the chancel or in front of the altar).[See more about Pulpit at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Pulpit'
'Pulpit' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Pulpit'
Pulpit Sample Sentences in News
- Zion Hill Church gathers for first service in repaired sanctuary
The Rev. James Heath takes the pulpit at Zion Hill United Church of Christ Sunday for the church’s first service since Hurricane Irene flooded it in 2011. Read more on this news related to 'Pulpit'
- De Blasio campaigns for pre-K tax plan support at church
In a pulpit push for his pre-K plan, Mayor de Blasio asked churchgoers Sunday to help lawmakers see the light on his tax-the-rich funding plan. “This is a matter of... Read more on this news related to 'Pulpit'
- Pulpit: Everything in life is a test
To learn the health status of a baby, testing begins even before birth. It's an exciting time for parents when they can see a sonogram of their unborn child. Read more on this news related to 'Pulpit'