Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Pulpit'
n : a platform raised above the surrounding level to give
prominence to the person on it [syn: dais, podium, rostrum,
ambo, stump, soapbox]
- Pulpit \Pul"pit\, n. [L. pulpitum: cf. OF. pulpite, F.
- An elevated place, or inclosed stage, in a church, in which the clergyman stands while preaching. I stand like a clerk in my pulpit. --Chaucer.
- The whole body of the clergy; preachers as a class; also, preaching. I say the pulpit (in the sober use Of its legitimate, peculiar powers) Must stand acknowledged, while the world shall stand, The most important and effectual guard, Support, and ornament of virtue's cause. --Cowper.
- A desk, or platform, for an orator or public speaker.
- Pulpit \Pul"pit\, a.
Of or pertaining to the pulpit, or preaching; as, a pulpit
orator; pulpit eloquence.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Pulpit'
Pulpit is a speakers' stand in a church. In many Christian churches, there are two speakers' stands at the front of the church. Typically, the one on the left (as viewed by the congregation) is called the pulpit. Since the Gospel lesson is often read from the pulpit, the pulpit side of the church is sometimes called the gospel side.
The other speaker's stand, usually on the right (as viewed by the congregation), is known as the lectern. The word lectern comes from the Latin word "lectus", past participle of legere, meaning "to read", because the lectern primarily functions as a reading stand. It is typically used by lay people to read the scripture lessons (except for the Gospel lesson), to lead the congregation in prayer, and to make announcements. Because the epistle lesson is usually read from the lectern, the lectern side of the church is sometimes called the epistle side. In other churches, the lectern, from which the Epistle is read, is located to the congregation's left and the pulpit, from which the sermon is delivered, is located on the right (the Gospel being read from either the center of the chancel or in front of the altar).[See more about Pulpit at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Pulpit'
'Pulpit' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Pulpit'
Pulpit Sample Sentences in News
- French Imams to Use Pulpit Against Islamic State
French Muslim leaders call on imams to use influence of pulpit against Islamic State militants Read more on this news related to 'Pulpit'
- OUTSIDE THE PULPIT: No to minibuses in bus terminal
The wolf shall dwell with the lamb and the leopard shall lie down with the kid, and the calf and the lion and the fatling together and a little child shall lead them – Isaiah 11:6 It was very refreshing to know that Minister of Transport and Works Michael Lashley and Minister of Education, Science, Technology and Innovation Ronald Jones paid a visit to the Fairc Read more on this news related to 'Pulpit'
- French Muslim leaders call on imams to use influence of pulpit against Islamic State militants
French Muslim leaders are calling on imams to use their pulpit to weigh against the Islamic State group and offer a message of support for Christians in the Middle East. Read more on this news related to 'Pulpit'