Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Puisne'
- Puisne \Puis"ne\ (p[=u]"n[y^]), a. [See Puny.]
- Later in age, time, etc.; subsequent. [Obs.] `` A puisne date to eternity.'' --Sir M. Hale.
- Puny; petty; unskilled. [Obs.]
- (Law) Younger or inferior in rank; junior; associate; as, a chief justice and three puisne justices of the Court of Common Pleas; the puisne barons of the Court of Exchequer. --Blackstone.
- Puisne \Puis"ne\, n.
One who is younger, or of inferior rank; a junior; esp., a
judge of inferior rank.
It were not a work for puisnes and novices. --Bp. Hall.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Puisne'
Puisne (pronounced /ˈpjuːni/) (from Old French puisné, modern puîné, later born, inferior; Lat. postea, afterwards, and natus, born) is a legal term of art used mainly in British English meaning "inferior in rank." It is pronounced like the word puny, and the word, so spelled, has become an ordinary adjective meaning weak or undersized.
The judges and barons of the common law courts at Westminster, other than those having a distinct title, were called puisne. By the Supreme Court of Judicature Act 1877, a "puisne judge" is deemed a judge of the High Court other than the Lord Chancellor, the Lord Chief Justice of England, the Master of the Rolls, the Lord Chief Justice of the Common Pleas, and the Lord Chief Baron of the Exchequer, and their successors respectively. See now the Senior Courts Act 1981, section 4.[See more about Puisne at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Puisne'
Puisne Sample Sentences in News
- CLINIQUE MAURICIENNE: L’appel du DPP rejeté par la Cour suprême
Le Senior Puisne Judge Eddy Balancy et le juge Razack Hajee Abdoula ont rejeté l’appel logé par le DPP, qui contestait la décision prise par la Cour criminelle intermédiaire de rayer l’accusation d’homicide par imprudence logée contre la Clinique Mauricienne. Read more on this news related to 'Puisne'
- LAZ welcomes ratification of seven Judges
The Law Association of Zambia (LAZ) has welcomed the ratification of the two Supreme Court judges and five High court judges whom President Michael Sata had recently appointment as puisne judges. Read more on this news related to 'Puisne'
- Parliament unanimously ratifies two Supreme court judges and five High court judges
Parliament has unanimously ratified two Supreme court judges and five High court judges which President Michael Sata appointed to serve as puisne judges. Read more on this news related to 'Puisne'