Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Projectile'
adj : impelling or impelled forward; "a projectile force"; "a
n : a weapon that is thrown or projected [syn: missile]
- Projectile \Pro*ject"ile\, a. [Cf. F. projectile.]
- Projecting or impelling forward; as, a projectile force.
- Caused or imparted by impulse or projection; impelled forward; as, projectile motion. --Arbuthnot.
- Projectile \Pro*ject"ile\, n. [Cf. F. projectile.]
- A body projected, or impelled forward, by force; especially, a missile adapted to be shot from a firearm.
- pl. (Mech.) A part of mechanics which treats of the motion, range, time of flight, etc., of bodies thrown or driven through the air by an impelling force.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Projectile'
A projectile is any object projected into space (empty or not) by the exertion of a force. Although a thrown baseball is technically a projectile too, the term more often refers to a weapon.
For details of the mathematics surrounding projectile trajectory, see equations of motion.
Arrows, darts, spears, and similar weapons are fired using pure mechanical force applied by another object; apart from throwing without tools, mechanisms include the catapult, slingshot, and bow.
Other weapons use the compression or expansion of gases as their motive force.[See more about Projectile at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Projectile'