Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Prefix'
n : an affix that added in front of the word
v : attach a prefix to; "prefixed words" [ant: suffix]
- Prefix \Pre*fix"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Prefixed; p. pr. & vb.
n. Prefixing.] [L. praefixus, p. p. of praefigere to fix or
fasten before; prae before + figere to fix: cf. F. pr['e]fix
fixed beforehand, determined, pr['e]fixer to prefix. See
- To put or fix before, or at the beginning of, another thing; as, to prefix a syllable to a word, or a condition to an agreement.
- To set or appoint beforehand; to settle or establish antecedently. [Obs.] `` Prefixed bounds. '' --Locke. And now he hath to her prefixt a day. --Spenser.
- Prefix \Pre"fix\, n. [Cf. F. pr['e]fixe.]
That which is prefixed; esp., one or more letters or
syllables combined or united with the beginning of a word to
modify its signification; as, pre- in prefix, con- in
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Prefix'
A prefix is an affix which is placed before the stem of a word. Particularly in the study of Semitic languages, a prefix is called a preformative, because it alters the form of the words to which it is affixed.
Examples of prefixes:
The word prefix is itself made up of the stem fix (meaning attach, in this case), and the prefix pre- (meaning "before"), both of which are derived from Latin roots.[See more about Prefix at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Prefix'
Prefix Sample Sentences in News
- Prefix Performance Builds Viper Medusa Roadster
Hundreds of enthusiastic Viper owners get an unexpected surprise during tour of world-class vehicle paint and finish facility. (PRWeb July 21, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014MEDUSA/ROADSTER/prweb12032057.htm Read more on this news related to 'Prefix'
- M.R. Radha: The star who questioned it all
While it is a common practise to prefix the place of birth before one’s given name, very rarely would one find someone having ‘Madras’ in their name. One of those men was ‘Madras’ Rajagopal... Read more on this news related to 'Prefix'
- Craving a Viper convertible? The Prefix Medusa is for you
There is no factory SRT (or Dodge) Viper convertible at the moment, but a company called Prefix Performance Vehicles has decided to build one of its own. The Medusa should give Viper owns some fresh air. The post Craving a Viper convertible? The Prefix Medusa is for you appeared first on Digital Trends . Read more on this news related to 'Prefix'