Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Prefix'
n : an affix that added in front of the word
v : attach a prefix to; "prefixed words" [ant: suffix]
- Prefix \Pre*fix"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Prefixed; p. pr. & vb.
n. Prefixing.] [L. praefixus, p. p. of praefigere to fix or
fasten before; prae before + figere to fix: cf. F. pr['e]fix
fixed beforehand, determined, pr['e]fixer to prefix. See
- To put or fix before, or at the beginning of, another thing; as, to prefix a syllable to a word, or a condition to an agreement.
- To set or appoint beforehand; to settle or establish antecedently. [Obs.] `` Prefixed bounds. '' --Locke. And now he hath to her prefixt a day. --Spenser.
- Prefix \Pre"fix\, n. [Cf. F. pr['e]fixe.]
That which is prefixed; esp., one or more letters or
syllables combined or united with the beginning of a word to
modify its signification; as, pre- in prefix, con- in
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Prefix'
A prefix is an affix which is placed before the stem of a word. Particularly in the study of Semitic languages, a prefix is called a preformative, because it alters the form of the words to which it is affixed.
Examples of prefixes:
The word prefix is itself made up of the stem fix (meaning attach, in this case), and the prefix pre- (meaning "before"), both of which are derived from Latin roots.[See more about Prefix at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Prefix'
Prefix Sample Sentences in News
- 762 area code to become more common in 706 areas in Georgia
AUGUSTA, Ga. (AP) -- The area code 762 is expected to become more common in several regions of the state that are currently covered by the 706 prefix. Read more on this news related to 'Prefix'
- Get the new Facebook Messenger for Android
The new Messenger app has dropped its Facebook name prefix, and it's jaded blue color. Now, you'll find a freshly designed client masquerading as a standalone chat app. Originally posted at How To Read more on this news related to 'Prefix'
- 706 area code out of numbers
The area code 762 is expected to become more common in several regions of the state that are currently covered by the 706 prefix.Director of the North American Numbering Plan Administration, John Manning, said combinations of phone numbers for the 706 area code ran out last week.The area code covers Augusta, Athens, the Columbus area and parts of north Georgia. Th Read more on this news related to 'Prefix'