Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Prefix'
n : an affix that added in front of the word
v : attach a prefix to; "prefixed words" [ant: suffix]
- Prefix \Pre*fix"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Prefixed; p. pr. & vb.
n. Prefixing.] [L. praefixus, p. p. of praefigere to fix or
fasten before; prae before + figere to fix: cf. F. pr['e]fix
fixed beforehand, determined, pr['e]fixer to prefix. See
- To put or fix before, or at the beginning of, another thing; as, to prefix a syllable to a word, or a condition to an agreement.
- To set or appoint beforehand; to settle or establish antecedently. [Obs.] `` Prefixed bounds. '' --Locke. And now he hath to her prefixt a day. --Spenser.
- Prefix \Pre"fix\, n. [Cf. F. pr['e]fixe.]
That which is prefixed; esp., one or more letters or
syllables combined or united with the beginning of a word to
modify its signification; as, pre- in prefix, con- in
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Prefix'
A prefix is an affix which is placed before the stem of a word. Particularly in the study of Semitic languages, a prefix is called a preformative, because it alters the form of the words to which it is affixed.
Examples of prefixes:
The word prefix is itself made up of the stem fix (meaning attach, in this case), and the prefix pre- (meaning "before"), both of which are derived from Latin roots.[See more about Prefix at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Prefix'
Prefix Sample Sentences in News
- Prefix Corporation Expands Performance Capabilities with Acquisition of Arrow Racing Engines
Since unveiling their Medusa Viper last month, many auto enthusiasts and industry professionals have been speculating as to what's next for Prefix Corporation. This acquisition completes the list of powerful capabilities and provides the team with unlimited opportunities for creating attention-getting vehicles. (PRWeb August 11, 2014) Read the full story at ht Read more on this news related to 'Prefix'
- CRPF to use 'Shaheed' for troopers killed in line of duty
In a first such step for a central armed police force, CRPF has decided to honour its jawans and officers killed in action with the prefix 'Shaheed' in their names. Read more on this news related to 'Prefix'
- CRPF to prefix 'Shaheed' in the name of troopers killed in line of duty
CRPF to prefix 'Shaheed' in the name of troopers killed in line of duty Read more on this news related to 'Prefix'