Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Prefix'
n : an affix that added in front of the word
v : attach a prefix to; "prefixed words" [ant: suffix]
- Prefix \Pre*fix"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Prefixed; p. pr. & vb.
n. Prefixing.] [L. praefixus, p. p. of praefigere to fix or
fasten before; prae before + figere to fix: cf. F. pr['e]fix
fixed beforehand, determined, pr['e]fixer to prefix. See
- To put or fix before, or at the beginning of, another thing; as, to prefix a syllable to a word, or a condition to an agreement.
- To set or appoint beforehand; to settle or establish antecedently. [Obs.] `` Prefixed bounds. '' --Locke. And now he hath to her prefixt a day. --Spenser.
- Prefix \Pre"fix\, n. [Cf. F. pr['e]fixe.]
That which is prefixed; esp., one or more letters or
syllables combined or united with the beginning of a word to
modify its signification; as, pre- in prefix, con- in
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Prefix'
A prefix is an affix which is placed before the stem of a word. Particularly in the study of Semitic languages, a prefix is called a preformative, because it alters the form of the words to which it is affixed.
Examples of prefixes:
The word prefix is itself made up of the stem fix (meaning attach, in this case), and the prefix pre- (meaning "before"), both of which are derived from Latin roots.[See more about Prefix at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Prefix'
Prefix Sample Sentences in News
- There's no 'i' in Apple's Team Cook
The maker of the iPhone, iPad and iTunes has dropped the i-prefix from its newest products, starting with its Apple Watch and Apple Pay. CNET discusses why. Read more on this news related to 'Prefix'
- With Apple Watch, a Naming Tradition Ends
For 16 years, Apple has bestowed the prefix “i” on the names of most of its groundbreaking products, from the iMac to the iPad. Read more on this news related to 'Prefix'
- In search of the missing ‘i’ in Apple’s Watch
Apple’s prefix has anchored the brand names of generations of products, from its phone to the iPad. Read more on this news related to 'Prefix'