Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Preference'
- a strong liking; "my own preference is for good literature"; "the Irish have a penchant for blarney" [syn: penchant, predilection, taste]
- a predisposition in favor of something; "a predilection for expensive cars"; "his sexual preferences"; "showed a Marxist orientation" [syn: predilection, orientation]
- the right or chance to choose; "given my druthers, I'd eat cake" [syn: druthers]
- grant of favor or advantage to one over another (especially to a country or countries in matters of international trade, such as levying duties)
- Preference \Pref"er*ence\, n. [Cf. F. pr['e]f['e]rence.]
- The act of Preferring, or the state of being preferred; the setting of one thing before another; precedence; higher estimation; predilection; choice; also, the power or opportunity of choosing; as, to give him his preference. Leave the critics on either side to contend about the preference due to this or that sort of poetry. --Dryden. Knowledge of things alone gives a value to our reasonings, and preference of one man's knowledge over another's. --Locke.
- That which is preferred; the object of choice or superior favor; as, which is your preference?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Preference'
The term “preferences” is used in a variety of related, but not identical, ways in the scientific literature. This makes it necessary to make explicit the sense in which the term is used in different social sciences.
In psychology, preferences could be conceived of as an individual’s attitude towards a set of objects, typically reflected in an explicit decision-making process (Lichtenstein & Slovic, 2006). Alternatively, one could interpret the term “preference” to mean evaluative judgment in the sense of liking or disliking an object (e.g., Scherer, 2005) which is the most typical definition employed in psychology. However, it does not mean that a preference is necessarily stable over time. Preference can be notably modified by decision-making processes, such as choices (Brehm, 1956; Sharot, De Martino, & Dolan, 2009), even in an unconscious way (see Coppin, Delplanque, Cayeux, Porcherot, & Sander, 2010).[See more about Preference at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Preference'
'Preference' in famous quotation sentence
* The superiority of chocolate (hot chocolate), both for health and nourishment, will soon give it the same preference over tea and coffee in America which it has in Spain. . . - Thomas Jefferson
* There is nothing more likely to drive a person mad than...an obstinate, constitutional preference of the true to the agreeable. - William Hazlitt
Click here for more related quotations on 'Preference'
Preference Sample Sentences in News
- Royal Bank of Scotland Group Non-cumulative Dollar Preference Shares, Series M Ex-Dividend Reminder
On 12/12/13, Royal Bank of Scotland Group plc's Non-cumulative Dollar Preference Shares, Series M (NYSE: RBS.PRM) will trade ex-dividend, for its quarterly dividend of $0.40, payable on 12/31/13. As a percentage of RBS.PRM's recent share price of $21.39, this dividend works out to approximately 1.87%, so look for shares of RBS.PRM to trade 1.87% lower — Read more on this news related to 'Preference'
- Brookfield Office Properties Class AAA Preference Shares, Series T About To Put More Money In Your Pocket
On 12/11/13, Brookfield Office Properties Inc's Class AAA Preference Shares, Series T (Toronto: BPO-PRT) will trade ex-dividend, for its quarterly dividend of $0.2875, payable on 12/31/13. As a percentage of BPO.PRT's recent share price of $24.10, this dividend works out to approximately 1.19%, so look for shares of BPO.PRT to trade 1.19% lower — all els Read more on this news related to 'Preference'
- Bank of Ireland says may sell stock to help redeem preference shares
said it may sell new shares to help repay 1.8 billion euros ($2.4 billion) of state-owned preference shares the bank had to issue as part of its 2009 bailout. A successful redemption of the preference shares would be a big milestone for the bank, the banking sector and for the Irish government ahead of its expected exit from an 85 billion euro international bailou Read more on this news related to 'Preference'