Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Preference'
- a strong liking; "my own preference is for good literature"; "the Irish have a penchant for blarney" [syn: penchant, predilection, taste]
- a predisposition in favor of something; "a predilection for expensive cars"; "his sexual preferences"; "showed a Marxist orientation" [syn: predilection, orientation]
- the right or chance to choose; "given my druthers, I'd eat cake" [syn: druthers]
- grant of favor or advantage to one over another (especially to a country or countries in matters of international trade, such as levying duties)
- Preference \Pref"er*ence\, n. [Cf. F. pr['e]f['e]rence.]
- The act of Preferring, or the state of being preferred; the setting of one thing before another; precedence; higher estimation; predilection; choice; also, the power or opportunity of choosing; as, to give him his preference. Leave the critics on either side to contend about the preference due to this or that sort of poetry. --Dryden. Knowledge of things alone gives a value to our reasonings, and preference of one man's knowledge over another's. --Locke.
- That which is preferred; the object of choice or superior favor; as, which is your preference?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Preference'
The term “preferences” is used in a variety of related, but not identical, ways in the scientific literature. This makes it necessary to make explicit the sense in which the term is used in different social sciences.
In psychology, preferences could be conceived of as an individual’s attitude towards a set of objects, typically reflected in an explicit decision-making process (Lichtenstein & Slovic, 2006). Alternatively, one could interpret the term “preference” to mean evaluative judgment in the sense of liking or disliking an object (e.g., Scherer, 2005) which is the most typical definition employed in psychology. However, it does not mean that a preference is necessarily stable over time. Preference can be notably modified by decision-making processes, such as choices (Brehm, 1956; Sharot, De Martino, & Dolan, 2009), even in an unconscious way (see Coppin, Delplanque, Cayeux, Porcherot, & Sander, 2010).[See more about Preference at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Preference'
'Preference' in famous quotation sentence
* The superiority of chocolate (hot chocolate), both for health and nourishment, will soon give it the same preference over tea and coffee in America which it has in Spain. . . - Thomas Jefferson
* There is nothing more likely to drive a person mad than...an obstinate, constitutional preference of the true to the agreeable. - William Hazlitt
Click here for more related quotations on 'Preference'
Preference Sample Sentences in News
- Australian and New Zealand Food Companies Poised to Prosper in the China Food Market Says DDMA
As a result, Chinese consumers of today show a clear preference for imported food brands. DDMA provides consumer and trade market research services to several leading international food and beverage brands in China. Read more on this news related to 'Preference'
- ‘Outrageous’ low-blow for democracy
IF 'preference whisperer' Glenn Druery's three meetings in Adelaide with minor parties during the past six months have the desired impact, faces in the SA Legislative Council will reflect a diverse range of views. Read more on this news related to 'Preference'
- East Capital Explorer AB - East Capital Explorer proposes preference shares to be able to take advantage of attractive ...
In addition, the Board also proposes amendments to the articles of association to adapt to the new EU regulatory framework AIFMD. The Board of East Capital Explorer AB (publ) ("East Capital Explorer" ... Read more on this news related to 'Preference'