Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Preference'
- a strong liking; "my own preference is for good literature"; "the Irish have a penchant for blarney" [syn: penchant, predilection, taste]
- a predisposition in favor of something; "a predilection for expensive cars"; "his sexual preferences"; "showed a Marxist orientation" [syn: predilection, orientation]
- the right or chance to choose; "given my druthers, I'd eat cake" [syn: druthers]
- grant of favor or advantage to one over another (especially to a country or countries in matters of international trade, such as levying duties)
- Preference \Pref"er*ence\, n. [Cf. F. pr['e]f['e]rence.]
- The act of Preferring, or the state of being preferred; the setting of one thing before another; precedence; higher estimation; predilection; choice; also, the power or opportunity of choosing; as, to give him his preference. Leave the critics on either side to contend about the preference due to this or that sort of poetry. --Dryden. Knowledge of things alone gives a value to our reasonings, and preference of one man's knowledge over another's. --Locke.
- That which is preferred; the object of choice or superior favor; as, which is your preference?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Preference'
The term “preferences” is used in a variety of related, but not identical, ways in the scientific literature. This makes it necessary to make explicit the sense in which the term is used in different social sciences.
In psychology, preferences could be conceived of as an individual’s attitude towards a set of objects, typically reflected in an explicit decision-making process (Lichtenstein & Slovic, 2006). Alternatively, one could interpret the term “preference” to mean evaluative judgment in the sense of liking or disliking an object (e.g., Scherer, 2005) which is the most typical definition employed in psychology. However, it does not mean that a preference is necessarily stable over time. Preference can be notably modified by decision-making processes, such as choices (Brehm, 1956; Sharot, De Martino, & Dolan, 2009), even in an unconscious way (see Coppin, Delplanque, Cayeux, Porcherot, & Sander, 2010).[See more about Preference at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Preference'
'Preference' in famous quotation sentence
* The superiority of chocolate (hot chocolate), both for health and nourishment, will soon give it the same preference over tea and coffee in America which it has in Spain. . . - Thomas Jefferson
* There is nothing more likely to drive a person mad than...an obstinate, constitutional preference of the true to the agreeable. - William Hazlitt
Click here for more related quotations on 'Preference'
Preference Sample Sentences in News
- Canadian General Investments, Limited Declares Dividends on Preference Shares
Canadian General Investments, Limited has declared quarterly dividends on its preference shares. Read more on this news related to 'Preference'
- Parents defy increase in child population to secure place at first-choice primary school
The number of children given a place at their first-preference school has risen in Norfolk and Cambridgeshire. Photo: Barry Batchelor/PA Wire 200 extra children entering the system. Read more on this news related to 'Preference'
- Klövern issues 987,468 preference shares
The Board of Directors of Klövern has today, by virtue of the authorization granted by the annual general meeting on 17 April 2013, decided and completed a cash issue of preference shares, with departure ... Read more on this news related to 'Preference'