Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Pounce'
Pounce Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : the act of pouncing
v : move down on as if in an attack; "The raptor swooped down on
its prey"; "The teacher swooped down upon the new
students" [syn: swoop]
- Pounce \Pounce\, v. t.
- To strike or seize with the talons; to pierce, as with the talons. [Archaic] Stooped from his highest pitch to pounce a wren. --Cowper. Now pounce him lightly, And as he roars and rages, let's go deeper. --J. Fletcher.
- To punch; to perforate; to stamp holes in, or dots on, by way of ornament. [Obs.] --Sir T. Elyot.
- Pounce \Pounce\, v. i.
To fall suddenly and seize with the claws; -- with on or
upon; as, a hawk pounces upon a chicken. Also used
Derision is never so agonizing as when it pounces on
the wanderings of misguided sensibility. --Jeffrey.
- Pounce \Pounce\, n. [F. ponce pumice, pounce, fr. L. pumex,
-icis, pumice. See Pumice.]
- A fine powder, as of sandarac, or cuttlefish bone, -- formerly used to prevent ink from spreading on manuscript.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Pounce'
- Pounce!: Pounce!, Cat and mouse, Buttons, Catch me if you can and Not now but now are some of the names used for a children's game and drinking ...
- Pounce: Pounce may refer to: Pounce (calligraphy), a powder used to prevent ink from spreading and to blot up excess ink. Pounce (cat treats), a ...
- Pounce (calligraphy): Before the invention of blotting paper a fine powder, pounce, was sprinkled over wet ink to hasten drying. This powder is prepared from ...
- Pounce (Transformers): Pounce is a fictional character from the various Transformers universes . Transformers: Generation 1: name Pounce | image pounce-boxart. ...
- Pounce (cat treats): Pounce is a brand of cat treat s that are manufactured by Del Monte Foods . The treats come in different flavors such as Tuna , Chicken , ...
- Operation Lion Pounce: Operation Lion Pounce was a series of operations conducted by the Multi-national force in and around Diwaniyah (Iraq ) to disrupt, ...
- Pounced: horsename Prounced | image | caption | sire Rahy | grandsire Blushing Groom | dam Golden Cat | damsire Storm Cat | sex Colt | foaled ...
Words and phrases related to 'Pounce'
Pounce Sample Sentences in News
- Man City stay ready to pounce if Liverpool slip up
Manchester (United Kingdom) (AFP) - Manchester City know they must keep themselves in a position to pounce if Premier League title favourites Liverpool slip up when they play the first of their two games in hand against bottom club Sunderland on Wednesday night. Liverpool's 3-2 victory at Anfield on Sunday allowed the Reds to stay clear at the top of the table Read more on this news related to 'Pounce'
- Police pounce on sex blackmailer of teens
Canadian police confirmed an arrest has been made in the Netherlands in the case of a Canadian teenager who was blackmailed into exposing herself in front of a webcam.The 15-year-old later committed suicide after detailing her harassment... Read more on this news related to 'Pounce'
- Twins pounce with wild rally in six-run eighth
The Twins rallied for six runs in the eighth inning, with the first three coming on wild pitches, to shock the Blue Jays with a 9-5 win to sweep Thursday's doubleheader at Target Field. Read more on this news related to 'Pounce'