Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Pounce'
Pounce Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : the act of pouncing
v : move down on as if in an attack; "The raptor swooped down on
its prey"; "The teacher swooped down upon the new
students" [syn: swoop]
- Pounce \Pounce\, v. t.
- To strike or seize with the talons; to pierce, as with the talons. [Archaic] Stooped from his highest pitch to pounce a wren. --Cowper. Now pounce him lightly, And as he roars and rages, let's go deeper. --J. Fletcher.
- To punch; to perforate; to stamp holes in, or dots on, by way of ornament. [Obs.] --Sir T. Elyot.
- Pounce \Pounce\, v. i.
To fall suddenly and seize with the claws; -- with on or
upon; as, a hawk pounces upon a chicken. Also used
Derision is never so agonizing as when it pounces on
the wanderings of misguided sensibility. --Jeffrey.
- Pounce \Pounce\, n. [F. ponce pumice, pounce, fr. L. pumex,
-icis, pumice. See Pumice.]
- A fine powder, as of sandarac, or cuttlefish bone, -- formerly used to prevent ink from spreading on manuscript.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Pounce'
- Pounce!: Pounce!, Cat and mouse, Buttons, Catch me if you can and Not now but now are some of the names used for a children's game and drinking ...
- Pounce: Pounce may refer to: Pounce (calligraphy), a powder used to prevent ink from spreading and to blot up excess ink. Pounce (cat treats), a ...
- Pounce (calligraphy): Before the invention of blotting paper a fine powder, pounce, was sprinkled over wet ink to hasten drying. This powder is prepared from ...
- Pounce (Transformers): Pounce is a fictional character from the various Transformers universes . Transformers: Generation 1: name Pounce | image pounce-boxart. ...
- Pounce (cat treats): Pounce is a brand of cat treat s that are manufactured by Del Monte Foods . The treats come in different flavors such as Tuna , Chicken , ...
- Operation Lion Pounce: Operation Lion Pounce was a series of operations conducted by the Multi-national force in and around Diwaniyah (Iraq ) to disrupt, ...
- Pounced: horsename Prounced | image | caption | sire Rahy | grandsire Blushing Groom | dam Golden Cat | damsire Storm Cat | sex Colt | foaled ...
Words and phrases related to 'Pounce'
Pounce Sample Sentences in News
- Watch: Ukraine Double-Team: Obama and Kerry Pounce on Putin
Secretary of State tells Russia to "return its troops to the barracks." Read more on this news related to 'Pounce'
- Democrats pounce after Katko, Maffei's likely GOP opponent, reveals he talked to Buerkle prior to running
The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee is using Republican candidate John Katko's own words against him in their latest attempt to link the GOP designee to former Rep. Ann Marie Buerkle. Read more on this news related to 'Pounce'
- Force pounce on Rebels in Perth
The Western Force produced the best 30 minutes of their Super Rugby history to stun the Melbourne Rebels in their clash in Perth on Saturday. The Force scored the first 32 points of the match to blow the Rebels away and went on to open their account for 2014 with an upset 32-7 win. The home team went within seconds of holding their opponents scoreless for the firs Read more on this news related to 'Pounce'