Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Pounce'
Pounce Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : the act of pouncing
v : move down on as if in an attack; "The raptor swooped down on
its prey"; "The teacher swooped down upon the new
students" [syn: swoop]
- Pounce \Pounce\, v. t.
- To strike or seize with the talons; to pierce, as with the talons. [Archaic] Stooped from his highest pitch to pounce a wren. --Cowper. Now pounce him lightly, And as he roars and rages, let's go deeper. --J. Fletcher.
- To punch; to perforate; to stamp holes in, or dots on, by way of ornament. [Obs.] --Sir T. Elyot.
- Pounce \Pounce\, v. i.
To fall suddenly and seize with the claws; -- with on or
upon; as, a hawk pounces upon a chicken. Also used
Derision is never so agonizing as when it pounces on
the wanderings of misguided sensibility. --Jeffrey.
- Pounce \Pounce\, n. [F. ponce pumice, pounce, fr. L. pumex,
-icis, pumice. See Pumice.]
- A fine powder, as of sandarac, or cuttlefish bone, -- formerly used to prevent ink from spreading on manuscript.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Pounce'
- Pounce!: Pounce!, Cat and mouse, Buttons, Catch me if you can and Not now but now are some of the names used for a children's game and drinking ...
- Pounce: Pounce may refer to: Pounce (calligraphy), a powder used to prevent ink from spreading and to blot up excess ink. Pounce (cat treats), a ...
- Pounce (calligraphy): Before the invention of blotting paper a fine powder, pounce, was sprinkled over wet ink to hasten drying. This powder is prepared from ...
- Pounce (Transformers): Pounce is a fictional character from the various Transformers universes . Transformers: Generation 1: name Pounce | image pounce-boxart. ...
- Pounce (cat treats): Pounce is a brand of cat treat s that are manufactured by Del Monte Foods . The treats come in different flavors such as Tuna , Chicken , ...
- Operation Lion Pounce: Operation Lion Pounce was a series of operations conducted by the Multi-national force in and around Diwaniyah (Iraq ) to disrupt, ...
- Pounced: horsename Prounced | image | caption | sire Rahy | grandsire Blushing Groom | dam Golden Cat | damsire Storm Cat | sex Colt | foaled ...
Words and phrases related to 'Pounce'
Pounce Sample Sentences in News
- Should you pounce on the next tapering sell-off?
Emerging Asian markets may fall when tapering begins, but declining risks and better pricing may make it a chance to buy, analysts said. Read more on this news related to 'Pounce'
- Next emerging market sell-off may be time to pounce
Emerging Asian markets may sell off once tapering begins, but with declining risks and better pricing, it may be a chance to buy, analysts said. Read more on this news related to 'Pounce'
- Pounce, The App That Helps Shoppers Find Items Using Image Recognition, Is Now A Deals Browser, Too
Pounce, a recently launched mobile shopping app that allows consumers to snap photos of items found in circulars, print ads, and catalogs in order to purchase directly from their smartphones, is out with a new version today that improves the overall experience and helps you find and compare deals. The Tel Aviv-based startup has been tackling one of the tougher pro Read more on this news related to 'Pounce'