Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Pot'
- metal or earthenware cooking vessel that is usually round and deep; often has a handle and lid
- a plumbing fixture for defecation and urination [syn: toilet, can, commode, crapper, potty, stool, throne]
- the quantity contained in a pot [syn: potful]
- a container in which plants are cultivated [syn: flowerpot]
- (often followed by `of') a large number or amount or extent; "a batch of letters"; "a deal of trouble"; "a lot of money"; "he made a mint on the stock market"; "it must have cost plenty" [syn: batch, deal, flock, good deal, great deal, hatful, heap, lot, mass, mess, mickle, mint, muckle, peck, pile, plenty, quite a little, raft, sight, slew, spate, stack, tidy sum, wad, whole lot, whole slew]
- the cumulative amount involved in a game (such as poker) [syn: jackpot, kitty]
- slang terms for a paunch [syn: potbelly, bay window, corporation, tummy]
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Pot'
Pottery is the ceramic ware made by potters. or made on a potter's wheel .
Pottery is made by forming a clay body into objects of a required shape and heating them to high temperatures in a kiln to induce reactions that lead to permanent changes including increasing their strength and hardening and setting their shape. There are wide regional variations in the properties of raw materials used for the production of pottery, and this can lead to wares that are unique in character to a locality. It is common for clays and other materials to be mixed to produce clay bodies suited to specific purposes.
Prior to some shaping processes, air trapped within the clay body needs to be removed. This is called de-airing and can be accomplished by a machine called a vacuum pug or manually by wedging. Wedging can also help to ensure an even moisture content throughout the body. Once a clay body has been de-aired or wedged, it is shaped by a variety of techniques. After shaping it is dried before firing. There are a number of stages in the drying process. Leather-hard refers to the stage when the clay object is approximately 15% moisture content. Clay bodies at this stage are very firm and only slightly pliable. Trimming and handle attachment often occurs at the leather-hard state. Clay bodies are said to be "bone-dry" when they reach a moisture content at or near 0%. Unfired objects are often termed greenware. Clay bodies at this stage are very fragile and hence can be easily broken.[See more about Pot at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Pot'
'Pot' in famous quotation sentence
* Fr., I want there to be no peasant in my realm so poor that he will not have a chicken in his pot every Sunday. - King Henry IV of France
* Genius will live and thrive without training, but it does not the less reward the watering pot and the pruning knife. - Margaret Fuller
Click here for more related quotations on 'Pot'
Pot Sample Sentences in News
- Californians Turn to Private Security to Police Pot Country
The workings of law enforcement are hard to track in the wildlands of California's pot country Read more on this news related to 'Pot'
- The Melting Pot Toasts to Women and the Revival of Whiskey
The Melting Pot Restaurants, Inc., the world’s premier fondue restaurant and a leading polished casual dining franchise, is celebrating women and the revival of whiskey this fall w Read more on this news related to 'Pot'
- Top tech investor Peter Thiel takes ‘pot’ shot at Twitter
Talk about a pot shot. Venture capitalist Peter Thiel, a founder of PayPal and early investor in Facebook, took a swing at Twitter CEO Dick Costolo on Wednesday, saying pot-smoking... Read more on this news related to 'Pot'