Pop Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- music of general appeal to teenagers; a bland watered-down version of rock''n''roll with more rhythm and harmony and an emphasis on romantic love
- a sharp explosive sound as from a gunshot or drawing a cork
- a sweet drink containing carbonated water and flavoring; "in New England they call sodas tonics"
- an informal term for a father; probably derived from baby talk
- burst open with a sharp, explosive sound; "The balloon popped"; "This popcorn pops quickly in the microwave oven"
- cause to burst with a lound, explosive sound; "The child popped the balloon"
- fire a weapon with a loud explosive noise; "The soldiers were popping"
- take drugs, especially orally; "The man charged with murder popped a valium to calm his nerves"
- drink down entirely; "He downed three martinis before dinner"; "She killed a bottle of brandy that night"; "They popped a few beer after work"
- hit or strike; "He popped me on the head"
- hit a pop-fly; "He popped out to shortstop"
- release suddenly; "pop the clutch"
- put or thrust suddenly and forcefully; "pop the pizza into the microwave oven"; "He popped the petit-four into his mouth"
- bulge outward; "His eyes popped"
- appear suddenly or unexpectedly; "The farm popped into view as we turned the corner"; "He suddenly popped up out of nowhere"
- make a sharp explosive noise; "The cork of the champagne bottle popped"
- cause to make a sharp explosive sound; "He popped the champagne bottle"
- (of music or art) new and of general appeal (especially among young people)
- like a pop or with a pop; "everything went pop"
Definitions from Wiktionary
- an informal term for a father; probably derived from baby talk ,
- a sweet drink containing carbonated water and flavoring; "in New England they call sodas tonics" ,
- a sharp explosive sound as from a gunshot or drawing a cork ,
- music of general appeal to teenagers; a bland watered-down version of rock'n'roll with more rhythm and harmony and an emphasis on romantic love
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Pop'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Pop'
- Pop: Pop may refer to: Common meanings : Pop, an informal term for father Pop, another term for soft drink s. Pop music , a music genre ...
- Pop!: Pop! were a UK pop group consisting of Glenn Ball, Hannah Lewis, Jamie Tinkler , and Jade McGuire. The group was formed in the summer ...
- PoP: PoP may represent: Pencils of Promise , a charity founded in 2008 by Adan Braun that builds schools in developing countries ...
- Pop music: Pop music (a term that originally derives from an abbreviation of "popular") is a genre of popular music , which originated in its modern ...
- J-pop: J-pop (often stylized as J-POP. ジェイポップ. jeipoppu; an abbreviation for Japanese pop), natively also known simply as pops, is a musical genre ...
- Pop rock: Pop rock is a music genre which mixes a catchy pop style and light lyrics in its (typically) guitar-based rock songs. subgenre of pop music. ...
- K-pop: K-pop (an abbreviation of Korean pop; 가요 gayo is a musical genre originating in South Korea that is characterized by a wide variety of ...
- Dance-pop: Dance-pop is dance -oriented pop music that originated in the early 1980s. Developing from post-disco and synthpop , it is generally up- ...
Words and phrases related to 'Pop'
Pop Sample Sentences in News
- Pop Stars Actually Do Die Too Young
The “27 Club” is a myth. Pop stars are not more likely than the general population to die at age 27. But they do tend to die much younger than the rest of us.Now, we might have a better idea why.Dianna Kenny, a professor of psychology and music at the University of Sydney, studied over 12,000 pop musicians who have died since 1950 to examine whether pop stars Read more on this news related to 'Pop'
- Kellogg’s Strategy to Win at Breakfast: PB&J Pop-Tarts
Is a peanut butter and jelly Pop-Tart the answer to Kellogg’s ( K ) woes? This was just one of many new products that Chief Executive Officer John Bryant discussed in the company’s quarterly earnings call on Thursday morning. Read more on this news related to 'Pop'
- Pop stars climb stairway to heaven early: Australian study
It's long been said that pop stars live fast and die young, but a new Australian study has added scholarly credibility to the adage, finding that US musicians die up to 25 years earlier than the general population. Read more on this news related to 'Pop'