Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Pleasure'
- a fundamental feeling that is hard to define but that people desire to experience; "he was tingling with pleasure" [syn: pleasance] [ant: pain]
- something or someone that provides pleasure; a source of happiness; "a joy to behold"; "the pleasure of his company"; "the new car is a delight" [syn: joy, delight]
- a formal expression; "he serves at the pleasure of the President"
- an activity that affords enjoyment; "he puts duty before pleasure"
- sexual gratification; "he took his pleasure of her"
- Pleasure \Pleas"ure\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Pleasured; p. pr. &
vb. n. Pleasuring.]
To give or afford pleasure to; to please; to gratify. --Shak.
[Rolled] his hoop to pleasure Edith. --Tennyson.
- Pleasure \Pleas"ure\, v. i.
To take pleasure; to seek pursue pleasure; as, to go
- Pleasure \Pleas"ure\, n. [F. plaisir, originally an infinitive.
- The gratification of the senses or of the mind; agreeable sensations or emotions; the excitement, relish, or happiness produced by the expectation or the enjoyment of something good, delightful, or satisfying; -- opposed to pain, sorrow, etc. At thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore. --Ps. xvi. 11.
- Amusement; sport; diversion; self-indulgence; frivolous or dissipating enjoyment; hence, sensual gratification; -- opposed to labor, service, duty, self-denial, etc. ``Not sunk in carnal pleasure.'' --Milton. He that loveth pleasure shall be a poor man. --Prov. xxi. 17. Lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God. --2 Tim. iii. 4.
- What the will dictates or prefers as gratifying or satisfying; hence, will; choice; wish; purpose. ``He will do his pleasure on Babylon.'' --Isa. xlviii. 14. Use your pleasure; if your love do not presuade you to come, let not my letter. --Shak.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Pleasure'
Pleasure describes the broad class of mental states that humans and other animals experience as positive, enjoyable, or worth seeking. It includes more specific mental states such as happiness, entertainment, enjoyment, ecstasy, and euphoria. In psychology, the pleasure principle describes pleasure as a positive feedback mechanism, motivating the organism to recreate in the future the situation which it has just found pleasurable. According to this theory, organisms are similarly motivated to avoid situations that have caused pain in the past.
The experience of pleasure is subjective and different individuals will experience different kinds and amounts of happiness in the same situation. Many pleasurable experiences are associated with satisfying basic biological drives, such as eating, exercise or sex. Other pleasurable experiences are associated with social experiences and social drives, such as the experiences of accomplishment, recognition, and service. The appreciation of cultural artifacts and activities such as art, music, and literature is often pleasurable.[See more about Pleasure at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Pleasure'
Meaning of the Name 'Pleasure'
- Meaning: Myth name
- Origin: Greek
- Gender: Female
'Pleasure' in famous quotation sentence
* The man whose only pleasure in life is making money, weighs less on the moral scale than an angleworm. - Josh Billings
* The pleasure of love is in the loving and there is more joy in the passion one feels than in that which one inspires. - La Rochefoucauld
Click here for more related quotations on 'Pleasure'
Pleasure Sample Sentences in News
- Pleasure Island's future could include sandy beach
Port Arthur Mayor pro tem Willie "Bae" Lewis demonstrates where he would like to see the city build a beach on Pleasure Island. Read more on this news related to 'Pleasure'
- Pleasure Bend fire training point of debate
EDGARD – A vacant fire station in Pleasure Bend continues to be a source of consternation for Councilman Art Smith, who raised the issue at the council meeting Tuesday for the second time in several w Read more on this news related to 'Pleasure'
- Feature: In Defence Of: Taylor Swift
Guilty pleasure is taking a piss in the shower, not liking Taylor Swift. Read more on this news related to 'Pleasure'