Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Pig'
- domestic swine [syn: hog, grunter, squealer, Sus scrofa}]
- a coarse obnoxious person [syn: slob, sloven, slovenly person}]
- a person regarded as greedy and pig-like [syn: hog]
- uncomplimentary terms for a policeman [syn: bull, cop, copper, fuzz]
- mold consisting of a bed of sand in which pig iron is cast [syn: pig bed]
- a crude block of metal (lead or iron) poured from a smelting furnace v
- live like a pig, in squalor [syn: pig it]
- eat greedily; "he devoured three sandwiches" [syn: devour, guttle, raven]
- give birth; "sows farrow" [syn: farrow] [also: pigging, pigged]
- Pig \Pig\, v. t. & i. [imp. & p. p. Pigged; p. pr. & vb. n.
- To bring forth (pigs); to bring forth in the manner of pigs; to farrow.
- To huddle or lie together like pigs, in one bed.
- Pig \Pig\, n.
A piggin. [Written also pigg.]
- Pig \Pig\, n. [Cf. D. big, bigge, LG. bigge, also Dan. pige
girl, Sw. piga, Icel. p[=i]ka.]
- The young of swine, male or female; also, any swine; a hog. ``Two pigges in a poke.'' --Chaucer.
- (Zo["o]l.) Any wild species of the genus Sus and related genera.
- [Cf. Sow a channel for melted iron.] An oblong mass of
220 catflap.bishopston.net dictd 1.11.2/rf on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Pig'
Domestic Pigs and their closest relatives belong to the genus Sus within the Suidae family of even-toed ungulates. Pigs are omnivores, and despite their reputation for gluttony, they are generally social and intelligent animals.
The names pig and hog most commonly refer to the domestic pig, (Sus domestica). These words also refer to for many other closely related or similar species. These English words and many in other languages are often applied pejoratively to any living being expressing pig-like behavior.
Some scientists see domestic pigs as the same species as the wild boar (Sus scrofa) and so refer to them as Sus scrofa domestica.
A pig has a snout for a nose, small eyes, and a small tail, which may be curly, kinked, or straight. It has a thick body, short legs, and coarse hair. There are four toes on each foot, with the two large middle toes used for walking.[See more about Pig at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Pig'
'Pig' in famous quotation sentence
* Give to a pig when it grunts and a child when it cries , and you will have a fine pig and a bad child. - Danish proverb
* A cat will look down to a man. A dog will look up to a man. But a pig will look you straight in the eye and see his equal. - Sir Winston Leonard Spenser Churchill
Click here for more related quotations on 'Pig'
Pig Sample Sentences in News
- 'Pig in residence' house for sale
House for sale images show pig resting in living room of 'unique' Suffolk property for sale. Read more on this news related to 'Pig'
- 'Best Pig Out Yet'
SPOKANE, Wash. - Pig Out In The Park brings in thousands to delve into their favorite fair-like foods and put diets on the back burner. But this year is a little bit different, because organizers are calling it the largest pig out yet. Read more on this news related to 'Pig'
- The Victorian pig singing competition
Author Jeremy Clay tells the story of a rather porcine talent show. Read more on this news related to 'Pig'