Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Piercing'
- having or demonstrating ability to recognize or draw fine distinctions; "an acute observer of politics and politicians"; "incisive comments"; "icy knifelike reasoning"; "as sharp and incisive as the stroke of a fang"; "penetrating insight"; "frequent penetrative observations" [syn: acute, discriminating, incisive, keen, knifelike, penetrating, penetrative, sharp]
- high-pitched and sharp; "piercing screams"; "a shrill whistle" [syn: shrill, sharp]
- as physically painful as if caused by a sharp instrument; "a cutting wind"; "keen winds"; "knifelike cold"; "piercing knifelike pains"; "piercing cold"; "piercing criticism"; "a stabbing pain"; "lancinating pain" [syn: cutting, keen, knifelike, stabbing, lancinate, lancinating]
- suitable for cutting or piercing; "incisive teeth"; "the piercing needle" [syn: incisive]
- loud and sharp; "the piercing shriek of sirens"
- Pierce \Pierce\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Pierced; p. pr. & vb. n.
Piercing.] [OE. percen, F. percer, OF. percier, perchier,
parchier; perh. fr. (assumed) LL. pertusiare for pertusare,
fr. L. pertundere, pertusum, to beat, push, bore through; per
through + tundere to beat: cf. OF. pertuisier to pierce, F.
pertuis a hole. Cf. Contuse, Parch, Pertuse.]
- To thrust into, penetrate, or transfix, with a pointed instrument. ``I pierce . . . her tender side.'' --Dryden.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Piercing'
Body piercing, a form of body modification, is the practice of puncturing or cutting a part of the human body, creating an opening in which jewelery may be worn. The word piercing can refer to the act or practice of body piercing, or to an opening in the body created by this act or practice. While the history of body piercing is obscured by a lack of scholarly reference and popular misinformation, ample evidence exists to document that it has been practiced in various forms by both sexes since ancient times throughout the world.
Lip piercing and eyebrow piercing have been particularly widespread and are well represented in historical records and among grave goods. The oldest mummified remains ever discovered were sporting earrings, attesting to the existence of the practice more than 5,000 years ago. Nose piercing is documented as far back as 1500 BCE Piercings of these types have been documented globally, while lip and tongue piercings were historically found in African and American tribal cultures. Nipple and genital piercing have also been practiced by various cultures, with nipple piercing dating back at least to Ancient Rome while genital piercing is described in Ancient India ca. 320 to 550 CE The history of navel piercing is less clear. The practice of body piercing has waxed and waned in Western culture, but it has experienced an increase of popularity since World War II, with sites other than the ears gaining subcultural popularity in the 70s and spreading to mainstream in the 1990s.[See more about Piercing at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Piercing'
Piercing Sample Sentences in News
- Condom piercing constitutes sexual assault: Canada court
Deliberately piercing a condom to cause a partner's pregnancy against her will constitutes sexual assault even if the couple is in a consensual relationship, Canada's Supreme Court ruled Friday. The unanimous ruling by the panel's seven justices upheld a lower court's decision in a 2006 case that found Jaret Hutchinson had committed aggravated sexu Read more on this news related to 'Piercing'
- Naperville to allow ear piercing
The Naperville ordinance that prohibits body piercing and tattooing got a bit looser Tuesday night. The definition of body piercing no longer includes ear piercing, so the new Claire’s jewelry and accessories shop that opened last fall in downtown Naperville can begin piercing ears. “We believe that an exception for ear piercing in this case preserves the city Read more on this news related to 'Piercing'
- Oklahoma Rep. authors bill warning of dangers of tongue piercing
OKLAHOMA CITY – The State House has unanimously passed a bill that would warn would-be clients of the dangers of... Read more on this news related to 'Piercing'