Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Philosophical'
- of or relating to philosophy or philosophers; "philosophical writing"; "a considerable knowledge of philosophical terminology" [syn: philosophic]
- characterized by the attitude of a philosopher; meeting trouble with level-headed detachment; "philosophical resignation"; "a philosophic attitude toward life" [syn: philosophic]
- characteristic of or imbued with the attitude of a philosopher or based on philosophy; "that breadth of outlook that distinguishes the philosophic mind"; "their differences were philosophical" [syn: philosophic] [ant: nonphilosophical]
- Philosophic \Phil`o*soph"ic\, Philosophical \Phil`o*soph"ic*al\,
a. [L. philosophicus: cf. F. philosophique.]
Of or pertaining to philosophy; versed in, or imbued with,
the principles of philosophy; hence, characterizing a
philosopher; rational; wise; temperate; calm; cool. --
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Philosophical'
Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems concerning matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language.
The following branches are the main areas of study:
Most academic subjects have a philosophy, for example the philosophy of science, the philosophy of mathematics, the philosophy of logic, the philosophy of law, and the philosophy of history. In addition, a range of academic subjects have emerged to deal with areas that historically were the subject of philosophy. These include psychology, anthropology and science.
The introduction of the terms "philosopher" and "philosophy" has been ascribed to the Greek thinker Pythagoras (see Diogenes Laertius: "De vita et moribus philosophorum", I, 12; Cicero: "Tusculanae disputationes", V, 8-9). The ascription is based on a passage in a lost work of Herakleides Pontikos, a disciple of Aristotle. It is considered to be part of the widespread legends of Pythagoras of this time. "Philosopher" replaced the word "sophist" (from sophoi), which meant "wise men", teachers of rhetoric, who were important in Athenian democracy.[See more about Philosophical at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Philosophical'
'Philosophical' in famous quotation sentence
* There is but one truly serious philosophical problem, and that is suicide. Judging whether life is or is not worth living amounts to answering the fundamental question of philosophy. - Albert Camus
* The war in Vietnam threatened to tear our society apart, and the political and philosophical disagreements that separated each side continue, to some extent. It's been said that these memorials reflect a hunger for healing. - Ronald Reagan
Click here for more related quotations on 'Philosophical'
Philosophical Sample Sentences in News
- Test yourself: Which non-religious beliefs have been protected by discrimination laws?
We round up an eclectic list of beliefs that claimants have argued constitute “philosophical beliefs” under equality legislation before employment tribunals . Can you work out which of these beliefs tribunals have found to be protected? Read more on this news related to 'Philosophical'
- Jeff Bridges Does Reddit AMA, Waxes Philosophical on Love, White Russians: The 5 Best Quotes
The Dude most certainly abides. Jeff Bridges participated in an "Ask Me Anything" session on Reddit on Wednesday, July 23, and waxed philosophical on everything from his celebrated The Big Lebowski character to his thoughts on true love to his real feelings about White Russians. Read more on this news related to 'Philosophical'
- #TYBG: 11 Philosophical Tweets From Lil B [Photos]
Lil B is downright prolific on Twitter. He’s is so connected to his social media fan base that he never skips an opportunity to enlighten the masses. Especially to the all the teenage girls giving thanks to the Based God on a daily basis, they definitely need his guidance. Read more on this news related to 'Philosophical'