Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Persuasion'
- the act of persuading (or attempting to persuade); communication intended to induce belief or action [syn: suasion]
- a personal belief or judgment that is not founded on proof or certainty; "my opinion differs from yours"; "what are your thoughts on Haiti?" [syn: opinion, sentiment, view, thought]
- inducement to act by argument or reasoning or entreaty [ant: dissuasion]
- Persuasion \Per*sua"sion\, n. [L. persuasio; Cf. F. persuasion.]
- The act of persuading; the act of influencing the mind by arguments or reasons offered, or by anything that moves the mind or passions, or inclines the will to a determination. For thou hast all the arts of fine persuasion. --Otway.
- The state of being persuaded or convinced; settled opinion or conviction, which has been induced. If the general persuasion of all men does so account it. --Hooker. My firm persuasion is, at least sometimes, That Heaven will weigh man's virtues and his crimes With nice attention. --Cowper.
- A creed or belief; a sect or party adhering to a certain creed or system of opinions; as, of the same persuasion; all persuasions are agreed. Of whatever state or persuasion, religious or political. --Jefferson.
- The power or quality of persuading; persuasiveness. Is 't possible that my deserts to you Can lack persuasion? --Shak.
- That which persuades; a persuasive. [R.] Syn: See Conviction.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Persuasion'
Persuasion is a form of social influence. It is the process of guiding oneself or another toward the adoption of an idea, attitude, or action by rational and symbolic (though not always logical) means.
Persuasion methods are also sometimes referred to as persuasion tactics or persuasion strategies.
Robert Cialdini, in his book on persuasion, defined six "weapons of influence":
In their book The Art of Woo, G. Richard Shell and Mario Moussa present a four-step approach to strategic persuasion. They explain that persuasion means to win others over, not to defeat them. Thus it is important to be able to see the topic from different angles in order to anticipate the reaction others have to a proposal.[See more about Persuasion at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Persuasion'
'Persuasion' in famous quotation sentence
* The most important persuasion tool you have in your entire arsenal is integrity. - Zig Ziglar
* I have with me two gods, Persuasion and Compulsion. - Themistocles
Click here for more related quotations on 'Persuasion'