Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Personified'
- invest with or as with a body; give body to [syn: body]
- represent, as of a character on stage; "Derek Jacobi was Hamlet" [syn: embody, be]
- attribute human qualities to something; "The Greeks personated their gods ridiculous" [syn: personate] [also: personified]
- Personify \Per*son"i*fy\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Personified; p.
pr. & vb. n. Personifying.] [Person + -fy: cf. F.
- To regard, treat, or represent as a person; to represent as a rational being. The poets take the liberty of personifying inanimate things. --Chesterfield.
- To be the embodiment or personification of; to impersonate; as, he personifies the law.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Personified'
Anthropomorphism is a term coined in the mid 1700s to refer to any attribution of human characteristics (or characteristics assumed or believed by some to belong only to humans) to animals or non-living things, phenomena, material states and objects or abstract concepts. Examples include animals and plants and forces of nature such as winds, rain or the sun depicted as creatures with human motivations, and/or the abilities to reason and converse. The term derives from the combination of the Greek ἄνθρωπος (ánthrōpos), "human" and μορφή (morphē), "shape" or "form".
As a literary device, anthropomorphism is strongly associated with art and storytelling where it has ancient roots. Most cultures possess a long-standing fable tradition with anthropomorphised animals as characters that can stand as commonly recognised types of human behavior.[See more about Personified at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Personified'
Personified Sample Sentences in News
- Uran athlete Neelam Rajput wins dna I can half-marathon by a clear four minutes; sets eyes on Asian Games medal
If there was anyone who personified the 'dna I can' women's half-marathon spirit on Sunday, it was Neelam Rajput. The 24-year-old, who missed the top spot in last year's marathon, had just one goal coming into the third edition of the run – to win it. She did just that, and how! Read more on this news related to 'Personified'
- Anchor Boudoir
For fifteen years, the Jean Paul Gaultier “Classique” and “Le Male” fragrances have personified the legendary couple in perfumery. Reunited on our screens once more in the new “On The Docks” saga released at the end of 2013, their mutual desire is stronger than ever. Read more on this news related to 'Personified'
- Pellegrini looks to keep City new Manchester power
MANCHESTER, England (AP) — Flashing rarely sighted smiles, unruffled by the prospect of taking on Barcelona, Manuel Pellegrini personified the calm and confidence at Manchester City where chaos once reigned. Read more on this news related to 'Personified'