Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Personified'
- invest with or as with a body; give body to [syn: body]
- represent, as of a character on stage; "Derek Jacobi was Hamlet" [syn: embody, be]
- attribute human qualities to something; "The Greeks personated their gods ridiculous" [syn: personate] [also: personified]
- Personify \Per*son"i*fy\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Personified; p.
pr. & vb. n. Personifying.] [Person + -fy: cf. F.
- To regard, treat, or represent as a person; to represent as a rational being. The poets take the liberty of personifying inanimate things. --Chesterfield.
- To be the embodiment or personification of; to impersonate; as, he personifies the law.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Personified'
Anthropomorphism is a term coined in the mid 1700s to refer to any attribution of human characteristics (or characteristics assumed or believed by some to belong only to humans) to animals or non-living things, phenomena, material states and objects or abstract concepts. Examples include animals and plants and forces of nature such as winds, rain or the sun depicted as creatures with human motivations, and/or the abilities to reason and converse. The term derives from the combination of the Greek ἄνθρωπος (ánthrōpos), "human" and μορφή (morphē), "shape" or "form".
As a literary device, anthropomorphism is strongly associated with art and storytelling where it has ancient roots. Most cultures possess a long-standing fable tradition with anthropomorphised animals as characters that can stand as commonly recognised types of human behavior.[See more about Personified at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Personified'
Personified Sample Sentences in News
- Forgiveness Incarnate
On the cross, Christ personified ultimate forgiveness. “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do” (Luke 23:34). Christ is forgiveness incarnate. Read more on this news related to 'Personified'
- It was a streaky season for the Ducks
The Oregon Ducks personified the up-and-down season. They won 13 straight to start, then dipped with losses in eight of their next 10 games before ending regular season on a seven-game winning streak. The Ducks wrapped up their 24-10 season with an 85-77 third-round loss to Wisconsin in the NCAA tournament. It was the second straight year that Oregon had reached t Read more on this news related to 'Personified'
- Jessica Simpson's Sunny Style
In today's Glam Slam feature: Jessica Simpson wowed the stylish crowd in her flattering citrus chic dress -- it's spring personified. Read more on this news related to 'Personified'