Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Personified'
- invest with or as with a body; give body to [syn: body]
- represent, as of a character on stage; "Derek Jacobi was Hamlet" [syn: embody, be]
- attribute human qualities to something; "The Greeks personated their gods ridiculous" [syn: personate] [also: personified]
- Personify \Per*son"i*fy\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Personified; p.
pr. & vb. n. Personifying.] [Person + -fy: cf. F.
- To regard, treat, or represent as a person; to represent as a rational being. The poets take the liberty of personifying inanimate things. --Chesterfield.
- To be the embodiment or personification of; to impersonate; as, he personifies the law.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Personified'
Anthropomorphism is a term coined in the mid 1700s to refer to any attribution of human characteristics (or characteristics assumed or believed by some to belong only to humans) to animals or non-living things, phenomena, material states and objects or abstract concepts. Examples include animals and plants and forces of nature such as winds, rain or the sun depicted as creatures with human motivations, and/or the abilities to reason and converse. The term derives from the combination of the Greek ἄνθρωπος (ánthrōpos), "human" and μορφή (morphē), "shape" or "form".
As a literary device, anthropomorphism is strongly associated with art and storytelling where it has ancient roots. Most cultures possess a long-standing fable tradition with anthropomorphised animals as characters that can stand as commonly recognised types of human behavior.[See more about Personified at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Personified'
Personified Sample Sentences in News
- Zohra Sehgal No More; A Life Full Of Life
Zohra Sehgal, she personified life, she personified talent and she personified dignity. This veteran actor Zohra Sehgal passed away at 04:00 pm in Delhi today, July 10, 2014. Zohra Sehgal would be cremated tomorrow at 11:oo am at the Lodhi Road crematorium. In her last days, Zohra Sehgal was residing in Delhi with her daughter, Kiran Sehgal, and as her friends sai Read more on this news related to 'Personified'
- Prince Albert Raiders founding member Habetler "personified commitment."
A member of the group that brought the Raiders to Prince Albert in 1971, Ed Habetler “personified commitment.” On Tuesday, the Raiders announced that Habetler, a Raiders season ticket holder since day one, passed away over the weekend after a long and courageous battle with cancer. On Dec. 12 ... Read more on this news related to 'Personified'
- Gary Harris aims to improve as Nuggets' 1st-round pick adjusts to playing point
The definition of calm, cool and collected is personified by Gary Harris, who answers every question with the same matter-of-fact expression. Read more on this news related to 'Personified'