Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Peppermint'
- herb with downy leaves and small purple or white flowers that yields a pungent oil used as a flavoring [syn: Mentha piperita}]
- red gum tree of Tasmania [syn: red gum, peppermint gum, Eucalyptus amygdalina]
- a candy flavored with peppermint oil [syn: peppermint candy]
Corn mint is Mentha arvensis.
Horsemint is M. sylvestris, and in the United States
Monarda punctata, which differs from the true mints in
Mountain mint is any species of the related genus
Pycnanthemum, common in North America.
Peppermint is M. piperita.
Spearmint is M. viridis.
Water mint is M. aquatica.
Mint camphor. (Chem.) See Menthol.
Mint julep. See Julep.
Mint sauce, a sauce flavored with spearmint, for meats.
- Peppermint \Pep"per*mint\, n. [Pepper + mint.]
- (Bot.) An aromatic and pungent plant of the genus Mentha (M. piperita), much used in medicine and confectionery.
- A volatile oil (oil of peppermint) distilled from the fresh herb; also, a well-known essence or spirit (essence of peppermint) obtained from it.
- A lozenge of sugar flavored with peppermint. Peppermint camphor. (Chem.) Same as Menthol. Peppermint tree (Bot.), a name given to several Australian species of gum tree (Eucalyptus amygdalina, E. piperita, E. odorata, etc.) which have hard and durable wood, and yield an essential oil.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Peppermint'
Peppermint (Mentha × piperita, also known as M. balsamea Willd.
Peppermint was first described in 1753 by Carolus Linnaeus from specimens that had been collected in England; he treated it as a species,
It is a herbaceous rhizomatous perennial plant growing to 30–90 cm (12–35 in) tall, with smooth stems, square in cross section. The rhizomes are wide-spreading, fleshy, and bare fibrous roots. The leaves are from 4–9 cm (1.6–3.5 in) long and 1.5–4 cm (0.59–1.6 in) cm broad, dark green with reddish veins, and with an acute apex and coarsely toothed margins. The leaves and stems are usually slightly hairy. The flowers are purple, 6–8 mm (0.24–0.31 in) long, with a four-lobed corolla about 5 mm (0.20 in) diameter; they are produced in whorls (verticillasters) around the stem, forming thick, blunt spikes. Flowering is from mid to late summer. The chromosome number is variable, with 2n counts of 66, 72, 84, and 120 recorded.[See more about Peppermint at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Peppermint'
Peppermint Sample Sentences in News
- Evelyn Lohoefer De Boeck, who composed for children and dance, dies at 92
A Local Life: Mrs. De Boeck, 92, wrote for dance and composed ‘Come and See the Peppermint Tree.’ Read more on this news related to 'Peppermint'
- Peppermint Muse’s Lavendar Junction at Maltings, St Albans
Everything about Lisa White’s performance in her own play Lavender Junction last week showed that it was a labour of love. Read more on this news related to 'Peppermint'
- DuckDuckGo may be the next big thing in search engines
DuckDuckGo might be the next big thing in search engines. Plus: A screenshot tour of Peppermint Five, and useful applications for new Linux engineers. read more Read more on this news related to 'Peppermint'