Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'People'
- (plural) any group of human beings (men or women or children) collectively; "old people"; "there were at least 200 people in the audience"
- the body of citizens of a state or country; "the Spanish people" [syn: citizenry]
- the common people generally; "separate the warriors from the mass"; "power to the people" [syn: multitude, masses, mass, hoi polloi]
- members of a family line; "his people have been farmers for generations"; "are your people still alive?" v
- fill with people or supply with inhabitants; "people a room"; "The government wanted to populate the remote area of the country" [syn: populate]
- make one's home or live in; "She resides officially in Iceland"; "I live in a 200-year old house"; "These people inhabited all the islands that are now deserted"; "The plains are sparsely populated" [syn: dwell, shack, reside, live, inhabit, populate, domicile, domiciliate]
- People \Peo"ple\, n. [OE. peple, people, OF. pueple, F. peuple,
fr. L. populus. Cf. Populage, Public, Pueblo.]
- The body of persons who compose a community, tribe, nation, or race; an aggregate of individuals forming a whole; a community; a nation. Unto him shall the gathering of the people be. --Gen. xlix. 10. The ants are a people not strong. --Prov. xxx. 25. Before many peoples, and nations, and tongues. --Rev. x. 11. Earth's monarchs are her peoples. --Whitter. A government of all the people, by all the people, for all the people. --T. Parker. Note: Peopleis a collective noun, generally construed with a plural verb, and only occasionally used in the plural form (peoples), in the sense of nations or races.
- Persons, generally; an indefinite number of men and women;
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'People'
People (singular "person") is a plurality of human beings. It has two usages:
Because the word people often refers to abstract and general types of groups, the word persons is sometimes used in place of people, especially when it would be ambiguous with its collective sense (e.g. missing persons instead of people). It can collectively refer to all humans or it can be used to identify a certain ethnic or religious group. For example, "people of color" is a phrase used in North America to describe non-whites.
The concept of personhood (who is a person within a society) is the fundamental component of any selective concept of people. A distinction is maintained in philosophy and law between the notions "human being", or "man", and "person". The former refers to the species, while the latter refers to a rational agent (see, for example, John Locke's Essay concerning Human Understanding II 27 and Immanuel Kant's Introduction to the Metaphysic of Morals). Central issues of interest to people are the understanding of the human condition and the meaning of life, and survival. Religion, philosophy, and science show or represent modes and aspects of inquiry which attempt to investigate and understand the nature, behavior, and purpose of people. Sociology, economics, and politics represent modes by which people investigate how to maximize a collective survival strategy.[See more about People at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'People'
'People' in famous quotation sentence
* A home is not a mere transient shelter its essence lies in the personalities of the people who live in it. - H.L. Mencken
* Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. - H.L. Mencken
Click here for more related quotations on 'People'
People Sample Sentences in News
- People Power Named TiE50 2013 Winner
People Power Company announced today that it has been named a TiE50 winner. The TiE50 recognizes the 50 hottest technology startups worldwide. TiE Silicon Valley, the organizer of TiEcon 2013, the world's ... Read more on this news related to 'People'
- Government of Canada supports participation of people with disabilities in all aspects of life
WINNIPEG , May 24, 2013 /CNW/ - People with disabilities will benefit from increased support, tools and resources to help address social issues they are facing in their communities. The announcement was ... Read more on this news related to 'People'
- People to People Announces Five New Educational Travel Programs For Winter Season
SPOKANE, Wash., May 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- People to People Ambassador Programs, the leader in global educational travel experiences for 50 years, announces the expansion of the company's winter travel ... Read more on this news related to 'People'