Pentecost Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
- seventh Sunday after Easter; commemorates the emanation of the Holy Spirit to the apostles; a quarter day in Scotland [syn: Whitsunday]
- (Judaism) Jewish holy day celebrated on the sixth of Sivan to celebrate Moses receiving the Ten Commandments [syn: Shavous, Shabuoth, Shavuoth, Shavuot, Feast of Weeks]
- Pentecost \Pen"te*cost\, n. [L. pentecoste, Gr. ? (sc. ?) the
fiftieth day, Pentecost, fr. ? fiftieth, fr. ? fifty, fr. ?
five. See Five, and cf. Pingster.]
- A solemn festival of the Jews; -- so called because celebrated on the fiftieth day (seven weeks) after the second day of the Passover (which fell on the sixteenth of the Jewish month Nisan); -- hence called, also, the Feast of Weeks}. At this festival an offering of the first fruits of the harvest was made. By the Jews it was generally regarded as commemorative of the gift of the law on the fiftieth day after the departure from Egypt.
- A festival of the Roman Catholic and other churches in commemoration of the descent of the Holy Spirit on the apostles; which occurred on the day of Pentecost; -- called also Whitsunday. --Shak.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Pentecost'?
Pentecost Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Pentecost (πεντηκοστή , "the fiftieth day") is an important feast in the Christian liturgical year, celebrated the fiftieth day after Easter Sunday (the tenth day after Ascension Thursday), Historically and symbolically related to the Jewish harvest festival of Shavuot, it commemorates the descent of the Holy Spirit upon the Apostles and other followers of Jesus as described in the Acts of the Apostles, Chapter 2. Pentecost is also called Whitsun, Whitsunday, or Whit Sunday in the United Kingdom and other English-speaking areas.
The Christian term "Pentecost" simply means "fiftieth" from the Greek, Πεντηκοστή, and has become the more common term in English, particularly in the United States.
Catholic: Roman Catholic · Eastern Catholic · Independent Catholic · Old Catholic Protestant: Lutheran · Reformed · Anabaptist · Baptist · Anglican · Methodist · Adventist · Evangelical · Holiness · Pentecostal Eastern: Eastern Orthodox · Oriental Orthodox · Assyrian Nontrinitarian: Jehovah's Witness · Latter Day Saint · Unitarian · Christadelphian · Oneness Pentecostal · Iglesia ni Cristo[See more about Pentecost at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Pentecost'
'Pentecost' example sentence in quotations
Click here for more related quotations on 'Pentecost'
Pentecost Sample Sentences in News
- Pentecost 2014: The Biggest Birthday Party Ever
"Jesus was a master at turning everyday situations that people could relate to into creative illustrations of faith" and Share Jesus International is encouraging churches across the UK to do the same. Read more on this news related to 'Pentecost'
- How the Ukraine crisis is affecting Russians in Moscow-on-Thames
There are now 150,000 Russian expats living in London and the crisis in Crimea is forcing them to take sides between east and west. Viv Groskop asks the residents of Moscow-on-Thames what the Motherland means to them "There are two sides to this story. And they are both right," Galina Pentecost sighs. "People like clean-cut, easy-to-follow narrative Read more on this news related to 'Pentecost'
- Ghanaians must forge ahead in unity - Pastor
Reverend Pastor Charles Afful Kankam Boakyei, Executive Member of Agona Swedru Area Pentecost Church, has called on Ghanaians to let the resurrection of Christ Jesus be a period of reconciliation to forge ahead with a common destiny. Read more on this news related to 'Pentecost'