Pentecost Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
- seventh Sunday after Easter; commemorates the emanation of the Holy Spirit to the apostles; a quarter day in Scotland [syn: Whitsunday]
- (Judaism) Jewish holy day celebrated on the sixth of Sivan to celebrate Moses receiving the Ten Commandments [syn: Shavous, Shabuoth, Shavuoth, Shavuot, Feast of Weeks]
- Pentecost \Pen"te*cost\, n. [L. pentecoste, Gr. ? (sc. ?) the
fiftieth day, Pentecost, fr. ? fiftieth, fr. ? fifty, fr. ?
five. See Five, and cf. Pingster.]
- A solemn festival of the Jews; -- so called because celebrated on the fiftieth day (seven weeks) after the second day of the Passover (which fell on the sixteenth of the Jewish month Nisan); -- hence called, also, the Feast of Weeks}. At this festival an offering of the first fruits of the harvest was made. By the Jews it was generally regarded as commemorative of the gift of the law on the fiftieth day after the departure from Egypt.
- A festival of the Roman Catholic and other churches in commemoration of the descent of the Holy Spirit on the apostles; which occurred on the day of Pentecost; -- called also Whitsunday. --Shak.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Pentecost'?
Pentecost Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Pentecost (πεντηκοστή , "the fiftieth day") is an important feast in the Christian liturgical year, celebrated the fiftieth day after Easter Sunday (the tenth day after Ascension Thursday), Historically and symbolically related to the Jewish harvest festival of Shavuot, it commemorates the descent of the Holy Spirit upon the Apostles and other followers of Jesus as described in the Acts of the Apostles, Chapter 2. Pentecost is also called Whitsun, Whitsunday, or Whit Sunday in the United Kingdom and other English-speaking areas.
The Christian term "Pentecost" simply means "fiftieth" from the Greek, Πεντηκοστή, and has become the more common term in English, particularly in the United States.
Catholic: Roman Catholic · Eastern Catholic · Independent Catholic · Old Catholic Protestant: Lutheran · Reformed · Anabaptist · Baptist · Anglican · Methodist · Adventist · Evangelical · Holiness · Pentecostal Eastern: Eastern Orthodox · Oriental Orthodox · Assyrian Nontrinitarian: Jehovah's Witness · Latter Day Saint · Unitarian · Christadelphian · Oneness Pentecostal · Iglesia ni Cristo[See more about Pentecost at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Pentecost'
'Pentecost' example sentence in quotations
Click here for more related quotations on 'Pentecost'
Pentecost Sample Sentences in News
- NZ aviation experts improving airfield safety in Vanuatu
Just a stone’s throw from Vanuatu’s tiny Lonorore Airport, on Pentecost Island, an ancient ‘’land diving" tradition is attracting worldwide interest in this remote corner of the Pacific. New Zealand aviation experts Airways New Zealand and GroupEAD have been working with the Vanuatu civil aviation authority to develop a solution for the local airfield Read more on this news related to 'Pentecost'
- Internationalist Bookstore turns new page in Carrboro
Martha Pentecost is a volunteer, manager and events coordinator at Internationalist Books. Read more on this news related to 'Pentecost'
- Pentecost University calls for reduction in tax rate
The Pentecost University College Graduate School (PUCGS), has called on government to reduce the tax rate to encourage voluntary compliance. Read more on this news related to 'Pentecost'