Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Pensive'
- persistently or morbidly thoughtful [syn: brooding, broody, contemplative, meditative, musing, pondering, reflective, ruminative]
- showing pensive sadness; "the sensitive and wistful response of a poet to the gentler phases of beauty" [syn: wistful]
- Pensive \Pen"sive\, a. [F. pensif, fr. penser to think, fr. L.
pensare to weigh, ponder, consider, v. intens. fr. pendere to
weigh. See Pension, Poise.]
- Thoughtful, sober, or sad; employed in serious reflection; given to, or favorable to, earnest or melancholy musing. The pensive secrecy of desert cell. --Milton. Anxious cares the pensive nymph oppressed. --Pope.
- Expressing or suggesting thoughtfulness with sadness; as, pensive numbers. --Prior.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Pensive'
Pensive (1941-49) was a bright chestnut thoroughbred racehorse who in 1944 came closer than any other horse at the time to winning the U.S. Triple Crown. He was also the first to win the first two legs and then lose the third.
A son of England's Hyperion (who himself had won two thirds of England's Triple Crown), out of Penicuik II (by Buchan), Pensive, ridden by Conn McCreary, won the Kentucky Derby going away by four and a half lengths. A week later, he took the Preakness. The Belmont Stakes looked to be Pensive's for the taking. That year, the Belmont (at the time the least of the three races), had finally upped its purse to $50,000. Pensive was in the lead and headed for the wire and the winner's circle, when seemingly out of the blue, Bounding Home inched by to take the race by less than half a length.[See more about Pensive at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Pensive'
Pensive Sample Sentences in News
- Hear Cataldo's Pensive, Majestic Indie-Pop on 'Other Side'
Seattle's Eric Anderson is the heartbeat of compelling indie-pop project Cataldo . With three tuneful, daydream-inducing LPs under his belt, Anderson will next release Gilded Oldies , mixed by Tucker Martine ( Read more on this news related to 'Pensive'
- PICTURED: Ian the seal in pensive mood as he looks out over River Great Ouse
Maybe he was thinking of his family back home or quite how he managed to find himself in Hemingford Grey. A seal, dubbed Ian by locals, was photographed some 50 miles inland in seemingly thoughtful mood looking out over the River Great Ouse as dusk fell on Thursday. Read more on this news related to 'Pensive'
- Kelela Skypes With the Void in Bok Bok's Peachy 'Melba's Call' Video
Absence is crucial to the new video for Night Slugs chieftain Bok Bok 's gorgeously pensive collaboration with Read more on this news related to 'Pensive'