Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Penguin'
n : short-legged flightless birds of cold southern especially
Antarctic regions having webbed feet and wings modified
- Penguin \Pen"guin\, n. [Perh. orig. the name of another bird,
and fr. W. pen head + gwyn white; or perh. from a native
South American name.]
- (Zo["o]l.) Any bird of the order Impennes, or Ptilopteri. They are covered with short, thick feathers, almost scalelike on the wings, which are without true quills. They are unable to fly, but use their wings to aid in diving, in which they are very expert. See King penguin, under Jackass. Note: Penguins are found in the south temperate and antarctic regions. The king penguins (Aptenodytes Patachonica, and A. longirostris) are the largest; the jackass penguins (Spheniscus) and the rock hoppers (Catarractes) congregate in large numbers at their breeding grounds.
- (Bot.) The egg-shaped fleshy fruit of a West Indian plant (Bromelia Pinguin) of the Pineapple family; also, the plant itself, which has rigid, pointed, and spiny-toothed leaves, and is used for hedges. [Written also pinguin.] Arctic penguin (Zo["o]l.), the great auk. See Auk.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Penguin'
Aptenodytes Eudyptes Eudyptula Megadyptes Pygoscelis Spheniscus For prehistoric genera, see Systematics
Penguins (order Sphenisciformes, family Spheniscidae) are a group of aquatic, flightless birds living almost exclusively in the southern hemisphere, especially in Antarctica. Highly adapted for life in the water, penguins have countershaded dark and white plumage, and their wings have become flippers. Most penguins feed on krill, fish, squid, and other forms of sealife caught while swimming underwater. They spend about half of their lives on land and half in the oceans.
Although all penguin species are native to the southern hemisphere, they are not found only in cold climates, such as Antarctica. In fact, only a few species of penguin live so far south. Several species are found in the temperate zone, and one species, the Galápagos Penguin, lives near the equator.[See more about Penguin at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Penguin'
'Penguin' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Penguin'
Penguin Sample Sentences in News
- Penguin Computing Replaces SAP R/3 With NetSuite
SAN MATEO, Calif., July 24, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- NetSuite Inc. (NYSE:N), the industry's leading provider of cloud-based financials / ERP and omnichannel commerce suites, today announced that Penguin Computing, one of the largest private suppliers of Linux-based enterprise and high performance computing solutions in North America with more than 18,000 sys Read more on this news related to 'Penguin'
- ‘Gotham’: Penguin actor takes our bird-brained questions
Those who have seen the pilot of Gotham agree: TV fans are going to be tweeting about Robin Lord Taylor this fall. Read more on this news related to 'Penguin'
- Has the last march of the emperor penguin begun? (+video)
The emperor penguin, the world's largest penguin, faces a dramatic population decline over the next 85 years, researchers say. Shrinking Antarctic ice sheets threaten the habitat and food sources of the emperor penguin. Read more on this news related to 'Penguin'