Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Peach'
- cultivated in temperate regions [syn: peach tree, Prunus persica}]
- a very attractive or seductive looking woman [syn: smasher, stunner, knockout, beauty, ravisher, sweetheart, lulu, looker, mantrap, dish]
- downy juicy fruit with sweet yellowish or whitish flesh
- a shade of pink tinged with yellow [syn: yellowish pink, apricot, salmon pink] v : divulge confidential information or secrets; "Be careful--his secretary talks" [syn: spill the beans, let the cat out of the bag, talk, tattle, blab, babble, sing, babble out, blab out] [ant: keep quiet]
- Peach \Peach\, v. i.
To turn informer; to betray one's accomplice. [Obs. or
If I be ta'en, I'll peach for this. --Shak.
- Peach \Peach\, n. [OE. peche, peshe, OF. pesche, F. p[^e]che,
fr. LL. persia, L. Persicum (sc. malum) a Persian apple, a
peach. Cf. Persian, and Parsee.] (Bot.)
A well-known high-flavored juicy fruit, containing one or two
seeds in a hard almond-like endocarp or stone; also, the tree
which bears it (Prunus, or Amygdalus Persica). In the wild
stock the fruit is hard and inedible.
Guinea, or Sierra Leone, peach, the large edible berry
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Peach'
The peach tree (Prunus persica) is a species of Prunus native to China that bears an edible juicy fruit called a peach. It is a deciduous tree growing to 4–10 m (13–33 ft) tall, belonging to the subfamily Prunoideae of the family Rosaceae. It is classified with the almond in the subgenus Amygdalus within the genus Prunus, distinguished from the other subgenera by the corrugated seed shell.
The leaves are lanceolate, 7–16 cm (2.8–6.3 in) long, 2–3 cm (0.79–1.2 in) broad, pinnately veined. The flowers are produced in early spring before the leaves; they are solitary or paired, 2.5–3 cm diameter, pink, with five petals. The fruit has yellow or whitish flesh, a delicate aroma, and a skin that is either velvety (peaches) or smooth (nectarines) in different cultivars. The flesh is very delicate and easily bruised in some cultivars, but is fairly firm in some commercial varieties, especially when green. The single, large seed is red-brown, oval shaped, approximately 1.3–2 cm long, and is surrounded by a wood-like husk. Peaches, along with cherries, plums and apricots, are stone fruits (drupes).[See more about Peach at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Peach'
'Peach' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Peach'
Peach Sample Sentences in News
- Peach, yellow, red: No one’s color blind
A battle between yellow and peach on the red carpet of the House of Representatives marked the President’s State of the Nation Address (Sona) on Monday, delivered as he faced an impeachment threat and all-time low public approval ratings. Read more on this news related to 'Peach'
- Tucson Peach Acquires Sonoran Air
Kenneth D. Goodrich, managing partner of Tucson Peach, LLC and Goettl Air Conditioning, announced today Tucson Peach, LLC has acquired Phoenix-based HVAC company Sonoran Air. The c Read more on this news related to 'Peach'
- Peach Festival to celebrate sports
The 77th Peach Festival will be this weekend in Cobden. Read more on this news related to 'Peach'