Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Peach'
- cultivated in temperate regions [syn: peach tree, Prunus persica}]
- a very attractive or seductive looking woman [syn: smasher, stunner, knockout, beauty, ravisher, sweetheart, lulu, looker, mantrap, dish]
- downy juicy fruit with sweet yellowish or whitish flesh
- a shade of pink tinged with yellow [syn: yellowish pink, apricot, salmon pink] v : divulge confidential information or secrets; "Be careful--his secretary talks" [syn: spill the beans, let the cat out of the bag, talk, tattle, blab, babble, sing, babble out, blab out] [ant: keep quiet]
- Peach \Peach\, v. i.
To turn informer; to betray one's accomplice. [Obs. or
If I be ta'en, I'll peach for this. --Shak.
- Peach \Peach\, n. [OE. peche, peshe, OF. pesche, F. p[^e]che,
fr. LL. persia, L. Persicum (sc. malum) a Persian apple, a
peach. Cf. Persian, and Parsee.] (Bot.)
A well-known high-flavored juicy fruit, containing one or two
seeds in a hard almond-like endocarp or stone; also, the tree
which bears it (Prunus, or Amygdalus Persica). In the wild
stock the fruit is hard and inedible.
Guinea, or Sierra Leone, peach, the large edible berry
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Peach'
The peach tree (Prunus persica) is a species of Prunus native to China that bears an edible juicy fruit called a peach. It is a deciduous tree growing to 4–10 m (13–33 ft) tall, belonging to the subfamily Prunoideae of the family Rosaceae. It is classified with the almond in the subgenus Amygdalus within the genus Prunus, distinguished from the other subgenera by the corrugated seed shell.
The leaves are lanceolate, 7–16 cm (2.8–6.3 in) long, 2–3 cm (0.79–1.2 in) broad, pinnately veined. The flowers are produced in early spring before the leaves; they are solitary or paired, 2.5–3 cm diameter, pink, with five petals. The fruit has yellow or whitish flesh, a delicate aroma, and a skin that is either velvety (peaches) or smooth (nectarines) in different cultivars. The flesh is very delicate and easily bruised in some cultivars, but is fairly firm in some commercial varieties, especially when green. The single, large seed is red-brown, oval shaped, approximately 1.3–2 cm long, and is surrounded by a wood-like husk. Peaches, along with cherries, plums and apricots, are stone fruits (drupes).[See more about Peach at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Peach'
'Peach' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Peach'
Peach Sample Sentences in News
- Turning the Peach Can on Its Head: Oregon State University Study Concludes California Cling Peaches are Nutritionally ...
DINUBA, Calif., May 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The California Cling Peach Board announced today what growers and home canning enthusiasts have known for generations: canned peaches are nutritious, wholesome ... Read more on this news related to 'Peach'
- Peach Street eatery to pay $600 fine
The owners of a Peach Street restaurant pleaded guilty to 13 citations of the Pennsylvania Food Code during an appearance Monday before Greene Township District Judge Susan Strohmeyer. Read more on this news related to 'Peach'
- Peach of a draw
Wellcome celebrates its 68th anniversary with a new brand campaign spearheaded by actors Wong Cho-lam, Louis Yuen Siu-cheung and Johnson Lee Sze-chit. Read more on this news related to 'Peach'