Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Peach'
- cultivated in temperate regions [syn: peach tree, Prunus persica}]
- a very attractive or seductive looking woman [syn: smasher, stunner, knockout, beauty, ravisher, sweetheart, lulu, looker, mantrap, dish]
- downy juicy fruit with sweet yellowish or whitish flesh
- a shade of pink tinged with yellow [syn: yellowish pink, apricot, salmon pink] v : divulge confidential information or secrets; "Be careful--his secretary talks" [syn: spill the beans, let the cat out of the bag, talk, tattle, blab, babble, sing, babble out, blab out] [ant: keep quiet]
- Peach \Peach\, v. i.
To turn informer; to betray one's accomplice. [Obs. or
If I be ta'en, I'll peach for this. --Shak.
- Peach \Peach\, n. [OE. peche, peshe, OF. pesche, F. p[^e]che,
fr. LL. persia, L. Persicum (sc. malum) a Persian apple, a
peach. Cf. Persian, and Parsee.] (Bot.)
A well-known high-flavored juicy fruit, containing one or two
seeds in a hard almond-like endocarp or stone; also, the tree
which bears it (Prunus, or Amygdalus Persica). In the wild
stock the fruit is hard and inedible.
Guinea, or Sierra Leone, peach, the large edible berry
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Peach'
The peach tree (Prunus persica) is a species of Prunus native to China that bears an edible juicy fruit called a peach. It is a deciduous tree growing to 4–10 m (13–33 ft) tall, belonging to the subfamily Prunoideae of the family Rosaceae. It is classified with the almond in the subgenus Amygdalus within the genus Prunus, distinguished from the other subgenera by the corrugated seed shell.
The leaves are lanceolate, 7–16 cm (2.8–6.3 in) long, 2–3 cm (0.79–1.2 in) broad, pinnately veined. The flowers are produced in early spring before the leaves; they are solitary or paired, 2.5–3 cm diameter, pink, with five petals. The fruit has yellow or whitish flesh, a delicate aroma, and a skin that is either velvety (peaches) or smooth (nectarines) in different cultivars. The flesh is very delicate and easily bruised in some cultivars, but is fairly firm in some commercial varieties, especially when green. The single, large seed is red-brown, oval shaped, approximately 1.3–2 cm long, and is surrounded by a wood-like husk. Peaches, along with cherries, plums and apricots, are stone fruits (drupes).[See more about Peach at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Peach'
'Peach' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Peach'
Peach Sample Sentences in News
- PHOTO CALL: Mike Spee, Kendra Kassebaum, Diana Huey and More in Benj Pasek, Justin Paul and Timothy Allen McDonald's ...
The Seattle Children's Theatre presents a retooled version of James and the Giant Peach, the musical version of the Roald Dahl work of the same name that features a score by Tony Award nominees Benj Pasek and Justin Paul (A Christmas Story, the Musical; Dogfight) and a book by Timothy Allen McDonald (The Musical Adventures of Flat Stanley). The production offi Read more on this news related to 'Peach'
- Royals tame Cats on home ice
DEER LAKE Chris Peach had two goals and linemate Matthew Thomey had a goal an an assist to lead the Western Royals to a 6-3 triumph over the Grand Falls-Windsor Cataracts Sunday afternoon. Peach, who had a power-play goal to get the Royals on the scoresheet in the second stanza, and Thomey had ... Read more on this news related to 'Peach'
- M&M'S® Peanut Chocolate Candies Powers 25th Annual Peach Drop New Year's Eve Celebration
HACKETTSTOWN, N.J., Dec. 6, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- New Year's Eve in Atlanta is going to be nuts – deliciously so. Today, Mars Chocolate North America and Underground Atlanta announced M&M'S® Peanut will be the presenting sponsor of the "25th Annual Peach Drop," an Atlanta tradition and the largest New Year's Eve celebration in the southeast Read more on this news related to 'Peach'