Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Peaceful'
- not disturbed by strife or turmoil or war; "a peaceful nation"; "peaceful times"; "a far from peaceful Christmas"; "peaceful sleep" [ant: unpeaceful]
- peacefully resistant in response to injustice; "passive resistance" [syn: passive]
- (of groups) not violent or disorderly; "the right of peaceful assembly" [syn: law-abiding]
- Peaceful \Peace"ful\, a.
- Possessing or enjoying peace; not disturbed by war, tumult, agitation, anxiety, or commotion; quiet; tranquil; as, a peaceful time; a peaceful country; a peaceful end.
- Not disposed or tending to war, tumult or agitation; pacific; mild; calm; peaceable; as, peaceful words. Syn: See Peaceable. --Peace"ful*ly, adv.. -- Peace"ful*ness, n.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Peaceful'
"Peaceful" is a song written by Kenny Rankin best known as a 1973 hit single for Helen Reddy.
Introduced by Rankin on his 1967 debut album Mind Dusters on Mercury Records, "Peaceful" was recorded by Bobbie Gentry for the 1968 album Local Gentry on Capitol Records and a 1969 single by Georgie Fame - produced by Mike Smith and arranged/conducted by Keith Mansfield for CBS - reached #16 UK that summer. Fame's version of "Peaceful" had a concurrent single release in the US by Epic Records, prompting Mercury to issue Rankin's original track as a single but neither single charted. "Peaceful" was also recorded in 1969 by the Friends of Distinction for their Grazin' album on RCA.
In 1972 "Peaceful" was recorded by Rankin himself in a new version which appeared on the album Like a Seed, his Atlantic Records debut and first chart appearance. That same year Helen Reddy recorded "Peaceful" her 1972 I Am Woman album. Issued as the follow-up to the #1 hit "I Am Woman" in February 1973. Rising as high as #3 in St. Louis and #2 in Chicago, Reddy's version of "Peaceful" peaked at #12 on the Billboard Hot 100 that May. "Peaceful" also became Reddy's second consecutive #2 Easy Listening hit: the follow-up "Delta Dawn" would be Reddy's first Easy Listening #1 (the first of six consecutive and eight overall).[See more about Peaceful at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Peaceful'
'Peaceful' in famous quotation sentence
* If we want a free and peaceful world, if we want to make the deserts bloom and man grow to greater dignity as a human being -- we can do it. - Roosevelt, Eleanor
* Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violen trevolution inevitable. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy
Click here for more related quotations on 'Peaceful'
Peaceful Sample Sentences in News
- Peaceful Asembly Act protects rights of all
FMT LETTER: From Thomas Samuel, via e-mail We are all aware that excess is more often not a choice in dealing with creating unity and providing a fair platform for communities to live, work and stay together in a multi-racial country like ours. This is essentially the spirit in which the Peaceful Assembly Act 2012 was presented and gazetted in parliament on Feb 9, Read more on this news related to 'Peaceful'
- Peaceful anti-G8 protest takes place outside security cordon
PSNI estimates about 700 protesters are taking part in the demonstration Read more on this news related to 'Peaceful'
- Top Ten Most Peaceful Countries in the World in 2013 [SLIDESHOW]
Like last year, Europe continues to dominate as the most peaceful region in the world with 13 out of the 20 most peaceful countries in the world. Read more on this news related to 'Peaceful'