Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Peaceful'
- not disturbed by strife or turmoil or war; "a peaceful nation"; "peaceful times"; "a far from peaceful Christmas"; "peaceful sleep" [ant: unpeaceful]
- peacefully resistant in response to injustice; "passive resistance" [syn: passive]
- (of groups) not violent or disorderly; "the right of peaceful assembly" [syn: law-abiding]
- Peaceful \Peace"ful\, a.
- Possessing or enjoying peace; not disturbed by war, tumult, agitation, anxiety, or commotion; quiet; tranquil; as, a peaceful time; a peaceful country; a peaceful end.
- Not disposed or tending to war, tumult or agitation; pacific; mild; calm; peaceable; as, peaceful words. Syn: See Peaceable. --Peace"ful*ly, adv.. -- Peace"ful*ness, n.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Peaceful'
"Peaceful" is a song written by Kenny Rankin best known as a 1973 hit single for Helen Reddy.
Introduced by Rankin on his 1967 debut album Mind Dusters on Mercury Records, "Peaceful" was recorded by Bobbie Gentry for the 1968 album Local Gentry on Capitol Records and a 1969 single by Georgie Fame - produced by Mike Smith and arranged/conducted by Keith Mansfield for CBS - reached #16 UK that summer. Fame's version of "Peaceful" had a concurrent single release in the US by Epic Records, prompting Mercury to issue Rankin's original track as a single but neither single charted. "Peaceful" was also recorded in 1969 by the Friends of Distinction for their Grazin' album on RCA.
In 1972 "Peaceful" was recorded by Rankin himself in a new version which appeared on the album Like a Seed, his Atlantic Records debut and first chart appearance. That same year Helen Reddy recorded "Peaceful" her 1972 I Am Woman album. Issued as the follow-up to the #1 hit "I Am Woman" in February 1973. Rising as high as #3 in St. Louis and #2 in Chicago, Reddy's version of "Peaceful" peaked at #12 on the Billboard Hot 100 that May. "Peaceful" also became Reddy's second consecutive #2 Easy Listening hit: the follow-up "Delta Dawn" would be Reddy's first Easy Listening #1 (the first of six consecutive and eight overall).[See more about Peaceful at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Peaceful'
'Peaceful' in famous quotation sentence
* If we want a free and peaceful world, if we want to make the deserts bloom and man grow to greater dignity as a human being -- we can do it. - Roosevelt, Eleanor
* Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violen trevolution inevitable. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy
Click here for more related quotations on 'Peaceful'
Peaceful Sample Sentences in News
- Feuding but peaceful protests on Westheimer
Westheimer was the dividing line Friday as the Palestinian-Israel conflict played out in feuding but peaceful demonstrations on a busy Houston intersection near the Galleria usually populated with shoppers. In the pro-Palestine rally, about 2,000 people seen lining both sides of Post Oak had the largest and loudest presence with chant leaders on bullhorns proclaim Read more on this news related to 'Peaceful'
- Afghans offer Eid prayers in peaceful environment
Kabul, July 28 (IANS) Afghan civilians Monday offered Eid prayers to celebrate the end of the fasting month of Ramadan amidst tight security but in a peaceful environment across the country. President Hamid Karzai offered Eid prayer in the mosque of the Presidential Palace or the Arg in Kabul, which was also attended by civil and military officials, Xinhua reporte Read more on this news related to 'Peaceful'
- Muslims hold peaceful anti-Israel protest in Bangalore
Muslims in Bangalore today held a peaceful protest to condemn Israel's attacks on Palestine that does not even spare women and children. They also criticised the United Nations and America for what they alleged " turning a blind eye" towards the ongoing crisis. "We just want to ask the UN to take a stringent action against the terror which is ha Read more on this news related to 'Peaceful'