Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Pattern'
- a perceptual structure; "the composition presents problems for students of musical form"; "a visual pattern must include not only objects but the spaces between them" [syn: form, shape]
- a customary way of operation or behavior; "it is their practice to give annual raises"; "they changed their dietary pattern" [syn: practice]
- a decorative or artistic work; "the coach had a design on the doors" [syn: design, figure]
- something regarded as a normative example; "the convention of not naming the main character"; "violence is the rule not the exception"; "his formula for impressing visitors" [syn: convention, normal, rule, formula]
- a model considered worthy of imitation; "the American constitution has provided a pattern for many republics"
- something intended as a guide for making something else; "a blueprint for a house"; "a pattern for a skirt" [syn: blueprint, design]
- the path that is prescribed for an airplane that is preparing to land at an airport; "the traffic patterns around O'Hare are very crowded"; "they stayed in the pattern until the fog lifted" [syn: traffic pattern, approach pattern}]
- graphical representation (in polar or cartesian coordinates) of the spatial distribution of radiation from an antenna as a function of angle [syn: radiation pattern, radiation diagram}] v
- plan or create according to a model or models [syn: model]
- form a pattern; "These sentences pattern like the ones we studied before"
- Pattern \Pat"tern\, n. (Gun.)
A diagram showing the distribution of the pellets of a
shotgun on a vertical target perpendicular to the plane of
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Pattern'
A pattern, from the French patron, is a type of theme of recurring events or objects, sometimes referred to as elements of a set of objects.
These elements repeat in a predictable manner. It can be a template or model which can be used to generate things or parts of a thing, especially if the things that are created have enough in common for the underlying pattern to be inferred, in which case the things are said to exhibit the unique pattern.
The most basic patterns, called Tessellations, are based on repetition and periodicity. A single template, tile, or cell, is combined with duplicates without change or modification. For example, simple harmonic oscillators produce repeated patterns of movement.
Other patterns, such as Penrose tiling and Pongal or Kolam patterns from India, use symmetry which is a form of finite repetition, instead of translation which can repeat to infinity. Fractal patterns also use magnification or scaling giving an effect known as self-similarity or scale invariance. Some plants, like Ferns, even generate a pattern using an affine transformation which combines translation, scaling, rotation and reflection![See more about Pattern at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Pattern'
'Pattern' in famous quotation sentence
* In seven different Scriptures God has dogmatically stated 'build all things according to the pattern (blueprint) shown to you.' You don't repair a Chevrolet from the Ford repair manual. In like manner, Body truth is not found in Hebrew doctrine. It's like trying to mix oil with water--it just can't be mixed - Ron Garner
* You look at where you're going and where you are and it never makes sense, but then you look back at where you've been and a pattern seems to emerge. And if you project forward from that pattern, then sometimes you can come up with something. - Robert M. Pirsig
Click here for more related quotations on 'Pattern'
Pattern Sample Sentences in News
- Pattern Energy to Host First Quarter 2014 Results Conference Call
SAN FRANCISCO -- Pattern Energy Group Inc. today announced that it will release its first quarter 2014 financial results on Friday, May 2, 2014, prior to market open. The Company will subsequently hold ... Read more on this news related to 'Pattern'
- Finavera Completes Sale of Wind Assets to Pattern Energy
Finavera Completes Sale of Wind Assets to Pattern Energy Read more on this news related to 'Pattern'
- Beware of This Pattern Before “Buying Low” on USDJPY
Beware of This Pattern Before “Buying Low” on USDJPY Read more on this news related to 'Pattern'