Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Patriotism'
n : love of country and willingness to sacrifice for it [syn: nationalism]
- Patriotism \Pa"tri*ot*ism\, n. [Cf. F. patriotisme.]
Love of country; devotion to the welfare of one's country;
the virtues and actions of a patriot; the passion which
inspires one to serve one's country. --Berkley.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Patriotism'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Patriotism'
Patriotism is a love and devotion to one's country. It has had different meanings over time and its meaning is highly dependent upon context, geography, and philosophy.
It is a related sentiment to nationalism, but nationalism is not necessarily an inherent part of patriotism.
The English term patriot is first attested in the Elizabethan era, via Middle French from Late Latin (6th century) patriota "fellow countryman", ultimately from Greek πατριώτης (patriōtēs) "fellow countryman".
During the 19th century, patriotism became increasingly conflated with nationalism, but when used in contrast with nationalism, the term may still express the more constructive, less antagonistic or aggressive ideal.[See more about Patriotism at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Patriotism'
'Patriotism' in famous quotation sentence
* When a whole nation is roaring Patriotism at the top of its voice, I am fain to explore the cleanness of its hands and purity of its heart. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
* One of the great attractions of patriotism -- it fulfills our worst wishes. In the person of our nation we are able, vicariously, to bully and cheat. Bully and cheat, what's more, with a feeling that we are profoundly virtuous. - Aldous Huxley
Click here for more related quotations on 'Patriotism'
Patriotism Sample Sentences in News
- The Fix: ‘Economic patriotism’: Explaining the vague, finger-wagging, immortal phrase
It more-or-less started with Dukakis, but now has another, very specific meaning. Read more on this news related to 'Patriotism'
- The myth of 'economic patriotism'
U.S. companies seeking to flee their home country are starting to feel the heat. Read more on this news related to 'Patriotism'
- Déjà Vu: Misplaying The Patriotism Card Again
Moving offshore isn’t a matter of executives being anti-American, but simply one of economic viability. In a competitive global marketplace, expecting a business to compete at a significant cost disadvantage is asking a lot. Read more on this news related to 'Patriotism'