Patriotism Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- love of country and willingness to sacrifice for it
Definitions from Wiktionary
- love of country and willingness to sacrifice for it; "they rode the same wave of popular patriotism"; "British nationalism was in the air and patriotic sentiments ran high"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Patriotism'?
Patriotism Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Patriotism means loyalty of person to his/her own nation or the leaders of nation. A patriot is a person who is on the side of his/her own nation or its leaders. Patriotism is different from nationalism. Nationalist thinks that every ethnic group should have its own nation, so nations are to serve the people. In other words in nationalism the nation is just a tool to have freedom for an ethnic group, while in patriotism the nation itself is the highest value.
A patriot may also be loyal to imperialist or colonialist nations, while nationalism is opposed to imperialism or colonialism.
The English term "patriot" is first known from the Elizabethan era, via Middle French from Late Latin (6th century) patriota "countryman", ultimately from Greek πατριώτης (patriōtēs) "countryman", from πατρίς (patris), "fatherland". The abstract noun patriotism appears in the early 18th century..
'Patriotism' example sentence in quotations
* When a whole nation is roaring Patriotism at the top of its voice, I am fain to explore the cleanness of its hands and purity of its heart. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
* One of the great attractions of patriotism -- it fulfills our worst wishes. In the person of our nation we are able, vicariously, to bully and cheat. Bully and cheat, what's more, with a feeling that we are profoundly virtuous. - Aldous Huxley
Click here for more related quotations on 'Patriotism'
Patriotism Sample Sentences in News
- Ms. Armed Forces Winning Essay
Patriotism, it means something different to each and every one of us. The dictionary defines it as a love and devotion for one’s country. However, patriotism is much more. It is courage, honor, loyalty, dedication, and a sacrifice only few have made. read more Read more on this news related to 'Patriotism'
- Column: Patriotism, freedom need each other
Dissent important part of what makes country work Read more on this news related to 'Patriotism'
- WWII vets returning from DC receive hero's welcome at Midway Airport
It was a celebration of patriotism Wednesday night honoring nearly 100 World War II veterans returning to Midway Airport. Read more on this news related to 'Patriotism'