Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Patriotism'
n : love of country and willingness to sacrifice for it [syn: nationalism]
- Patriotism \Pa"tri*ot*ism\, n. [Cf. F. patriotisme.]
Love of country; devotion to the welfare of one's country;
the virtues and actions of a patriot; the passion which
inspires one to serve one's country. --Berkley.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Patriotism'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Patriotism'
Patriotism is a love and devotion to one's country. It has had different meanings over time and its meaning is highly dependent upon context, geography, and philosophy.
It is a related sentiment to nationalism, but nationalism is not necessarily an inherent part of patriotism.
The English term patriot is first attested in the Elizabethan era, via Middle French from Late Latin (6th century) patriota "fellow countryman", ultimately from Greek πατριώτης (patriōtēs) "fellow countryman".
During the 19th century, patriotism became increasingly conflated with nationalism, but when used in contrast with nationalism, the term may still express the more constructive, less antagonistic or aggressive ideal.[See more about Patriotism at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Patriotism'
'Patriotism' in famous quotation sentence
* When a whole nation is roaring Patriotism at the top of its voice, I am fain to explore the cleanness of its hands and purity of its heart. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
* One of the great attractions of patriotism -- it fulfills our worst wishes. In the person of our nation we are able, vicariously, to bully and cheat. Bully and cheat, what's more, with a feeling that we are profoundly virtuous. - Aldous Huxley
Click here for more related quotations on 'Patriotism'
Patriotism Sample Sentences in News
- Patriotism Is The Solution To Nigerian Problems And Not National Conference
This is one thing that many people do not talk about. Each time we look at our situation, it appears corruption or poverty is the root cause of our problems in Nigeria. It was while I was trying to find out which one has been more devastating between the two that i discovered that the duo are just symptoms of our problem and not the problem. I remembered that when Read more on this news related to 'Patriotism'
- Why Ghana is Kissing Patriotism Goodbye after Independence
I have decided to write on this for two reasons: 1. Liberation Day – 6th March is just around the corner; 2. President Mahama bemoaned on fallen sense of patriotism in his State of the Nation Address. Read more on this news related to 'Patriotism'
- What Patriotism means most
Editorial Read more on this news related to 'Patriotism'