Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Patriotism'
n : love of country and willingness to sacrifice for it [syn: nationalism]
- Patriotism \Pa"tri*ot*ism\, n. [Cf. F. patriotisme.]
Love of country; devotion to the welfare of one's country;
the virtues and actions of a patriot; the passion which
inspires one to serve one's country. --Berkley.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Patriotism'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Patriotism'
Patriotism is a love and devotion to one's country. It has had different meanings over time and its meaning is highly dependent upon context, geography, and philosophy.
It is a related sentiment to nationalism, but nationalism is not necessarily an inherent part of patriotism.
The English term patriot is first attested in the Elizabethan era, via Middle French from Late Latin (6th century) patriota "fellow countryman", ultimately from Greek πατριώτης (patriōtēs) "fellow countryman".
During the 19th century, patriotism became increasingly conflated with nationalism, but when used in contrast with nationalism, the term may still express the more constructive, less antagonistic or aggressive ideal.[See more about Patriotism at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Patriotism'
'Patriotism' in famous quotation sentence
* When a whole nation is roaring Patriotism at the top of its voice, I am fain to explore the cleanness of its hands and purity of its heart. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
* One of the great attractions of patriotism -- it fulfills our worst wishes. In the person of our nation we are able, vicariously, to bully and cheat. Bully and cheat, what's more, with a feeling that we are profoundly virtuous. - Aldous Huxley
Click here for more related quotations on 'Patriotism'
Patriotism Sample Sentences in News
- Patriotism resonates with RMS writers
During a Veterans Day observance program at the Rockford Middle School – Center for Environmental Studies, three students discovered that they were being recognized for their winning entries in the area’s “Patriot Pen Essay Contest,” sponsored by the Veterans of Foreign Wars for students in grades six to eight. This competition gives students an opportunit Read more on this news related to 'Patriotism'
- A place to renew patriotism
A visit to New England provides reminders of history that have relevance today. Read more on this news related to 'Patriotism'
- Croatia national team player leads fans in controversial salute: Patriotism, or hate speech?
If you're not from the Balkans, this video likely makes little sense to you. Šimunić is leading the Croatia supporters -- or a vocal segment, anyway -- in a controversial salute called "Za dom spremni". Roughly translated, it's "For the homeland -- ready!" Read more on this news related to 'Patriotism'