Patriotism Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- love of country and willingness to sacrifice for it
Definitions from Wiktionary
- love of country and willingness to sacrifice for it; "they rode the same wave of popular patriotism"; "British nationalism was in the air and patriotic sentiments ran high"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Patriotism'?
Patriotism Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Patriotism means loyalty of person to his/her own nation or the leaders of nation. A patriot is a person who is on the side of his/her own nation or its leaders. Patriotism is different from nationalism. Nationalist thinks that every ethnic group should have its own nation, so nations are to serve the people. In other words in nationalism the nation is just a tool to have freedom for an ethnic group, while in patriotism the nation itself is the highest value.
A patriot may also be loyal to imperialist or colonialist nations, while nationalism is opposed to imperialism or colonialism.
The English term "patriot" is first known from the Elizabethan era, via Middle French from Late Latin (6th century) patriota "countryman", ultimately from Greek πατριώτης (patriōtēs) "countryman", from πατρίς (patris), "fatherland". The abstract noun patriotism appears in the early 18th century..
'Patriotism' example sentence in quotations
* When a whole nation is roaring Patriotism at the top of its voice, I am fain to explore the cleanness of its hands and purity of its heart. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
* One of the great attractions of patriotism -- it fulfills our worst wishes. In the person of our nation we are able, vicariously, to bully and cheat. Bully and cheat, what's more, with a feeling that we are profoundly virtuous. - Aldous Huxley
Click here for more related quotations on 'Patriotism'
Patriotism Sample Sentences in News
- Patriotism is in my DNA
About a year ago, I told members of the Escondido Rotary Club that I was a 11th-generation American, a descendant of English immigrants who crossed the Atlantic in the early 1600s in search of better lives. After my speech, a cheerful Rotarian asked whether the name Samuel Roberts meant anything to me. He was one of my great-grandparents, I said. He lived in the c Read more on this news related to 'Patriotism'
- Canadians across the country urged to show patriotism at local cenotaphs
In light of the recent events in Ottawa, a Facebook page called The Canadian Soldier/Le Soldat Canadien is calling for Canadians, coast to coast, to show their pride. Read more on this news related to 'Patriotism'
- Colorado Protesters Promise to Keep Fighting ‘Pro-Patriotism’ Curriculum Changes
The board’s conservative majority is likely to review AP History curriculum to ensure it promotes patriotism Read more on this news related to 'Patriotism'