Patriotic Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- inspired by love for your country
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Patriotic'?
Patriotic Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Patriotism means loyalty of person to his/her own nation or the leaders of nation. A patriot is a person who is on the side of his/her own nation or its leaders. Patriotism is different from nationalism. Nationalist thinks that every ethnic group should have its own nation, so nations are to serve the people. In other words in nationalism the nation is just a tool to have freedom for an ethnic group, while in patriotism the nation itself is the highest value.
A patriot may also be loyal to imperialist or colonialist nations, while nationalism is opposed to imperialism or colonialism.
The English term "patriot" is first known from the Elizabethan era, via Middle French from Late Latin (6th century) patriota "countryman", ultimately from Greek πατριώτης (patriōtēs) "countryman", from πατρίς (patris), "fatherland". The abstract noun patriotism appears in the early 18th century..
'Patriotic' example sentence in quotations
* Sometimes I wonder if I'm patriotic enough. Yes, I want to kill people, but on both sides. - Jack Handey Deep Thoughts
* Those who misrepresent the normal experiences of life, who decry being controversial, who shun risk, are the enemies of the American way of life, whatever the piety of their vocal professions and the patriotic flavor of their platitudes. - Henry M. Wriston
Click here for more related quotations on 'Patriotic'
Patriotic Sample Sentences in News
- George Mpombo advises PF to Restore Guy Scott’s dignity
The ruling Patriotic Front (PF) has been advised to acknowledge the political pedigree former vice president Guy Scott still posses by restoring him to the dignified position of party Vice President. Read more on this news related to 'Patriotic'
- Karen Paget’s ‘Patriotic Betrayal’ is a monumental work
If you’re old enough, think back to the 1960s, that decade of endless turmoil and revelation. Though the CIA had been established in 1947, it wasn’t until 1962 that the agency came to the attention of most Americans, as a result of its disastrous handling of the US-backed Bay of Pigs invasion of Cuba. Five years later, another CIA scandal broke: a carefully re Read more on this news related to 'Patriotic'
- Local VFW receives massive patriotic gift from New York artist
SAVANNAH, Ga. (WJCL) — A New York man is on a mission to spread his patriotic works of art around the nation. And his latest project was rig… Read more on this news related to 'Patriotic'