Patriotic Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- inspired by love for your country
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Patriotic'?
Patriotic Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Patriotism means loyalty of person to his/her own nation or the leaders of nation. A patriot is a person who is on the side of his/her own nation or its leaders. Patriotism is different from nationalism. Nationalist thinks that every ethnic group should have its own nation, so nations are to serve the people. In other words in nationalism the nation is just a tool to have freedom for an ethnic group, while in patriotism the nation itself is the highest value.
A patriot may also be loyal to imperialist or colonialist nations, while nationalism is opposed to imperialism or colonialism.
The English term "patriot" is first known from the Elizabethan era, via Middle French from Late Latin (6th century) patriota "countryman", ultimately from Greek πατριώτης (patriōtēs) "countryman", from πατρίς (patris), "fatherland". The abstract noun patriotism appears in the early 18th century..
'Patriotic' example sentence in quotations
* Sometimes I wonder if I'm patriotic enough. Yes, I want to kill people, but on both sides. - Jack Handey Deep Thoughts
* Those who misrepresent the normal experiences of life, who decry being controversial, who shun risk, are the enemies of the American way of life, whatever the piety of their vocal professions and the patriotic flavor of their platitudes. - Henry M. Wriston
Click here for more related quotations on 'Patriotic'
Patriotic Sample Sentences in News
- City celebrates Republic Day with patriotic fervour
Patriotic fervour and gaiety marked the Republic Day celebrations across the district. At the Tamil Nadu Foodgrains Merchants Association, president S.P. Jeyapragasam hoisted the national flag and... Read more on this news related to 'Patriotic'
- China's CCTV to Serve Up Patriotic Fare for Children Over Lunar New Year
Kids can expect cartoons about patriotic leaders during the biggest Chinese holiday, part of a campaign to return to socialist values. read more Read more on this news related to 'Patriotic'
- Copper Quandary Risks Zambian Leader’s ‘Crusade’ Against Poverty
Zambia's ruling party Patriotic Front presidential candidate Edgar Lungu, center, dances prior to his final speech during his final presidential campaign rally on Jan. 19, 2015 in Lusaka. Read more on this news related to 'Patriotic'