Patriotic Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- inspired by love for your country
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Patriotic'?
Patriotic Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Patriotism means loyalty of person to his/her own nation or the leaders of nation. A patriot is a person who is on the side of his/her own nation or its leaders. Patriotism is different from nationalism. Nationalist thinks that every ethnic group should have its own nation, so nations are to serve the people. In other words in nationalism the nation is just a tool to have freedom for an ethnic group, while in patriotism the nation itself is the highest value.
A patriot may also be loyal to imperialist or colonialist nations, while nationalism is opposed to imperialism or colonialism.
The English term "patriot" is first known from the Elizabethan era, via Middle French from Late Latin (6th century) patriota "countryman", ultimately from Greek πατριώτης (patriōtēs) "countryman", from πατρίς (patris), "fatherland". The abstract noun patriotism appears in the early 18th century..
'Patriotic' example sentence in quotations
* Sometimes I wonder if I'm patriotic enough. Yes, I want to kill people, but on both sides. - Jack Handey Deep Thoughts
* Those who misrepresent the normal experiences of life, who decry being controversial, who shun risk, are the enemies of the American way of life, whatever the piety of their vocal professions and the patriotic flavor of their platitudes. - Henry M. Wriston
Click here for more related quotations on 'Patriotic'
Patriotic Sample Sentences in News
- GERB, Patriotic Front Agree On Coalition Support For Government
The right-centre GERB and the nationalist Patriotic Front reached an agreement on coalition support for the new government. During the three-hour meeting between GERB leader Boyko Borisov and Patriotic Front leaders Valeri Simeonov and Krasimir Karakachanov on Thursday afternoon the parties agreed that the Front will support the GERB programme without necessarily Read more on this news related to 'Patriotic'
- Russians hand in Western T-shirts in patriotic fashion drive
By Alessandra Prentice MOSCOW (Reuters) - Looking to put a patriotic spin on international sanctions over Ukraine, a local group is touring Moscow, urging passers-by to swap their Western-branded T-shirts for homegrown tops sporting pro-Russian slogans. "Sanctions? Don't make my Iskanders laugh," reads one T-shirt, referring to a Russian missile syst Read more on this news related to 'Patriotic'
- PATRIOTIC SCARECROW
read more Read more on this news related to 'Patriotic'