Patriotic Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- inspired by love for your country
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Patriotic'?
Patriotic Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Patriotism means loyalty of person to his/her own nation or the leaders of nation. A patriot is a person who is on the side of his/her own nation or its leaders. Patriotism is different from nationalism. Nationalist thinks that every ethnic group should have its own nation, so nations are to serve the people. In other words in nationalism the nation is just a tool to have freedom for an ethnic group, while in patriotism the nation itself is the highest value.
A patriot may also be loyal to imperialist or colonialist nations, while nationalism is opposed to imperialism or colonialism.
The English term "patriot" is first known from the Elizabethan era, via Middle French from Late Latin (6th century) patriota "countryman", ultimately from Greek πατριώτης (patriōtēs) "countryman", from πατρίς (patris), "fatherland". The abstract noun patriotism appears in the early 18th century..
'Patriotic' example sentence in quotations
* Sometimes I wonder if I'm patriotic enough. Yes, I want to kill people, but on both sides. - Jack Handey Deep Thoughts
* Those who misrepresent the normal experiences of life, who decry being controversial, who shun risk, are the enemies of the American way of life, whatever the piety of their vocal professions and the patriotic flavor of their platitudes. - Henry M. Wriston
Click here for more related quotations on 'Patriotic'
Patriotic Sample Sentences in News
- Ukraine to remove Great Patriotic War mentions from textbooks
Kiev, Nov 25 (IANS/TASS) Mentions of the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945 will be removed from Ukrainian history textbooks, director of the Ukrainian National Memory Institute Vladimir Vyatovich told Ukrainian media. Read more on this news related to 'Patriotic'
- Monday-Thursday, 5 PM ET
The most patriotic feast involves consuming aliens. Read more on this news related to 'Patriotic'
- Bulgaria Deputy DefMin 'Threat to National Security' - Patriotic Front
Orhan Ismailov, an ethnic Turk who has been appointed Deputy Minister of Defense, could disclose secret information to the Turkish intelligence, a nationalist leader has said. Orhan Ismailov owes his "heady career" to the Movement for Rights and Freedoms (DPS), Valeri Simeonov, who co-chairs the nationalist coalition Patriotic Front, told the Bulgarian N Read more on this news related to 'Patriotic'