Patriotic Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- inspired by love for your country
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Patriotic'?
Patriotic Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Patriotism means loyalty of person to his/her own nation or the leaders of nation. A patriot is a person who is on the side of his/her own nation or its leaders. Patriotism is different from nationalism. Nationalist thinks that every ethnic group should have its own nation, so nations are to serve the people. In other words in nationalism the nation is just a tool to have freedom for an ethnic group, while in patriotism the nation itself is the highest value.
A patriot may also be loyal to imperialist or colonialist nations, while nationalism is opposed to imperialism or colonialism.
The English term "patriot" is first known from the Elizabethan era, via Middle French from Late Latin (6th century) patriota "countryman", ultimately from Greek πατριώτης (patriōtēs) "countryman", from πατρίς (patris), "fatherland". The abstract noun patriotism appears in the early 18th century..
'Patriotic' example sentence in quotations
* Sometimes I wonder if I'm patriotic enough. Yes, I want to kill people, but on both sides. - Jack Handey Deep Thoughts
* Those who misrepresent the normal experiences of life, who decry being controversial, who shun risk, are the enemies of the American way of life, whatever the piety of their vocal professions and the patriotic flavor of their platitudes. - Henry M. Wriston
Click here for more related quotations on 'Patriotic'
Patriotic Sample Sentences in News
- Saudi patriotic song composed in Urdu
Madinah-based journalist Yusuf Mohammed has released a song in Urdu to celebrate Saudi Arabia's National Day. Read more on this news related to 'Patriotic'
- 'Spirit of America' is patriotic celebration
Called "Spirit of America," the two-hour-plus show boasts more than 250 performers and crew, including orchestra, band, fife-and-drums corps, drill team, singers, narrators, period-costumed soldiers to re-enact moments from key Army conflicts over the centuries, one electric guitarist and a dapple-gray horse. Structured as a broad chronological outline f Read more on this news related to 'Patriotic'
- Maywood fire chief: Patriotic sticker controversy blown out of proportion
Maywood's fire chief said the controversy over his order to have all patriotic and personal stickers removed from firefighters' helmets and lockers — including American flags and 9/11 memorials — was blown out of proportion. Read more on this news related to 'Patriotic'