Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Pastor'
- a person authorized to conduct religious worship [syn: curate, minister, parson, rector]
- only the rose-colored starlings; in some classifications considered a separate genus [syn: subgenus Pastor]
- Pastor \Pas"tor\, n. [L., fr. pascere, pastum, to pasture, to
feed. Cf. Pabulum, Pasture, Food.]
- A shepherd; one who has the care of flocks and herds.
- A guardian; a keeper; specifically (Eccl.), a minister having the charge of a church and parish.
- (Zo["o]l.) A species of starling (Pastor roseus), native of the plains of Western Asia and Eastern Europe. Its head is crested and glossy greenish black, and its back is rosy. It feeds largely upon locusts.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Pastor'
The word pastor usually refers to an ordained leader of a Christian congregation.
In some countries the term is used in relation to Protestant churches. It can also be used in reference to priests and bishops within the Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, and Oriental Orthodox churches. The word itself is derived from the Latin word pastor which means "shepherd". The term "pastor" is also related to the role of elder within the New Testament, but is not synonymous with the biblical understanding of minister.
Present-day usage of the word is rooted in the Bible. The Hebrew Bible (or Old Testament) uses the Hebrew word רעה (roʿeh). It is mentioned 173 times and describes the feeding of sheep, as in Genesis 29:7, or the spiritual feeding of human beings, as in Jeremiah 3:15, "Then I will give you shepherds after My own heart, who will feed you on knowledge and understanding" (NASB).[See more about Pastor at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Pastor'
'Pastor' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Pastor'
Pastor Sample Sentences in News
- Hillside pastor sets eyes on Calif.
The senior pastor of the largest church in Amarillo might soon call Northern California home. Read more on this news related to 'Pastor'
- Johnson to leave as Bright Hope Baptist pastor
The Rev. Kevin R. Johnson, pastor of Bright Hope Baptist Church, told his congregation Sunday that he will leave the historic North Philadelphia church, formerly led by U.S. Rep. William H. Gray 3d, in October. Read more on this news related to 'Pastor'
- Higher Calling, Lower Wages: The Vanishing of the Middle-Class Clergy
For someone seeking a full-time job as a church pastor, Justin Barringer would seem to have the perfect résumé. So he splits his time among three jobs, working as a freelance editor, an employee at a nonprofit for the homeless, and a part-time assistant pastor at a United Methodist Church. “I am not mad at the church,” Barringer says. Barringer’s story is Read more on this news related to 'Pastor'