Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Passenger'
n : a traveler riding in a vehicle (a boat or bus or car or
plane or train etc) who is not operating it [syn: rider]
- Passenger \Pas"sen*ger\, n. [OE. & F. passager. See Passage,
and cf. Messenger.]
- A passer or passer-by; a wayfarer. --Shak.
- A traveler by some established conveyance, as a coach, steamboat, railroad train, etc. Passenger falcon (Zo["o]l.), a migratory hawk. --Ainsworth. Passenger pigeon (Zo["o]l.), the common wild pigeon of North America (Ectopistes migratorius), so called on account of its extensive migrations.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Passenger'
A passenger is a term broadly used to describe any person who travels in a vehicle, but bears little or no responsibility for the tasks required for that vehicle to arrive at its destination.
Crew members (if any), as well as the driver or pilot of the vehicle, are usually not considered to be passengers. For example, a flight attendant on an airline would not be considered a "passenger" while on duty, but an employee riding in a company car being driven by another person would be considered a passenger, even if the car was being driven on company business.
In railway parlance, 'passenger', as well as being the end user of a service, is also a categorisation of the type of rolling stock used. These categories include:[See more about Passenger at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Passenger'
Passenger Sample Sentences in News
- Growth In China's Passenger Vehicle Sales Stayed Brisk In November
Sales of passenger vehicles in China, the world?s largest auto market, rose by 14.9% in November to 1.63 million units, the government-published China Daily said on Saturday, citing China Passenger Car Association figures. Read more on this news related to 'Passenger'
- Passenger locked on plane after falling asleep
An American air passenger has revealed how he found himself locked in a passenger plane after dozing off on a flight to Houston. Read more on this news related to 'Passenger'
- Passenger dies in wrong-way collision near Frederick
The head-on crash late Saturday was on Interstate 70 and involved two SUVs. Read more on this news related to 'Passenger'