Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Passenger'
n : a traveler riding in a vehicle (a boat or bus or car or
plane or train etc) who is not operating it [syn: rider]
- Passenger \Pas"sen*ger\, n. [OE. & F. passager. See Passage,
and cf. Messenger.]
- A passer or passer-by; a wayfarer. --Shak.
- A traveler by some established conveyance, as a coach, steamboat, railroad train, etc. Passenger falcon (Zo["o]l.), a migratory hawk. --Ainsworth. Passenger pigeon (Zo["o]l.), the common wild pigeon of North America (Ectopistes migratorius), so called on account of its extensive migrations.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Passenger'
A passenger is a term broadly used to describe any person who travels in a vehicle, but bears little or no responsibility for the tasks required for that vehicle to arrive at its destination.
Crew members (if any), as well as the driver or pilot of the vehicle, are usually not considered to be passengers. For example, a flight attendant on an airline would not be considered a "passenger" while on duty, but an employee riding in a company car being driven by another person would be considered a passenger, even if the car was being driven on company business.
In railway parlance, 'passenger', as well as being the end user of a service, is also a categorisation of the type of rolling stock used. These categories include:[See more about Passenger at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Passenger'
Passenger Sample Sentences in News
- Passenger Ship Carrying 447 Is Sinking Off S. Korean Coast
The passenger ship “Sewol” is sinking off 20 kilometers north of Jindo, South Korea on April 16, 2014. Close The passenger ship “Sewol” is sinking off 20 kilometers north of Jindo, South Korea on April 16, 2014. Read more on this news related to 'Passenger'
- Global Passenger Cars Industry
LONDON, April 16, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Reportbuyer.com has added a new market research report: Global Passenger Cars Industry http://www.reportbuyer.com/automotive/cars/global_passenger_cars_industry.html ... Read more on this news related to 'Passenger'
- Hundreds Missing After Passenger Ferry Sinks Off South Korean Coast
Tragedy unfolded across South Korea Wednesday as a passenger vessel with 459 persons aboard sank in the Yellow Sea off the southwest coast of the peninsula. Reports were confused, but latest information indicates four people confirmed dead, with 291 unaccounted for. The cause of the disaster is unknown. The Sewol (“Time and [...] Read more on this news related to 'Passenger'