Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Parietal'
Parietal Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
adj : of or relating to or associated with the parietal bones in
the cranium; "parietal lobe"
- Parietal \Pa*ri"e*tal\, a. [L. parietalis, fr. paries, -ietis, a
wall: cf. F. pari['e]tal. Cf. Parietary, Pellitory.]
- Of or pertaining to a wall; hence, pertaining to buildings or the care of them.
- Resident within the walls or buildings of a college. At Harvard College, the officers resident within the college walls constitute a permanent standing committee, called the Parietal Committee. --B. H. Hall (1856).
- (Anat.) (a) Of pertaining to the parietes. (b) Of, pertaining to, or in the region of, the parietal bones, which form the upper and middle part of the cranium, between the frontals and occipitals.
- (Bot.) Attached to the main wall of the ovary, and not to the axis; -- said of a placenta.
- Parietal \Pa*ri"e*tal\, n.
- (Anat.) One of the parietal bones.
- (Zo["o]l.) One of the special scales, or plates, covering the back of the head in certain reptiles and fishes.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Parietal'
- Parietal: Parietal may refer to: Parietal placentation Parietal lobe of the brain. Parietal bone of the skull. Parietal scales of a snake lie in the ...
- Parietal lobe: The parietal lobe is a part of the brain positioned above (superior to) the occipital lobe and behind (posterior to) the frontal lobe ...
- Parietal bone: The parietal bones are bones in the human skull and form, by their union, the sides and roof of the cranium . Each bone is irregularly ...
- Parietal scales: Parietal scale refers to the scales of a snake which are on the head of the snake and are connected to the frontals towards the posterior ...
- Parietal pleura: covers the diaphragm , and is reflected over the structures occupying the middle of the thorax ; this portion is termed the parietal pleura. ...
- Parietal branch of superficial temporal artery: The parietal branch of superficial temporal artery (posterior temporal), larger than the frontal, curves upward and backward on the side ...
- Parietal cell: Parietal cells, or oxyntic cells, are the stomach epithelium cell s that secrete gastric acid and intrinsic factor . Acid production ...
- Parietal eye: A parietal eye, also known as a parietal organ or third-eye or (often but less correctly) pineal eye, is a part of the epithalamus present ...
- Parietal foramen: At the back part of the parietal bone and close to the upper or sagittal border is the parietal foramen, which transmits the parietal ...
Words and phrases related to 'Parietal'
Parietal Sample Sentences in News
- How kids' brain structures grow as memory develops
Our ability to store memories improves during childhood, associated with structural changes in the hippocampus and its connections with prefrontal and parietal cortices. New research is exploring how these brain regions develop at this crucial time. Eventually, that could give insights into disorders that typically emerge in the transition into and during adolesce Read more on this news related to 'Parietal'
- Structural changes in hippocampus region improve memory function in children
Our ability to store memories improves during childhood, associated with structural changes in the hippocampus and its connections with prefrontal and parietal cortices. Read more on this news related to 'Parietal'