Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Parental'
- designating the generation of organisms from which hybrid offspring are produced [ant: filial]
- relating to or characteristic of or befitting a parent; "parental guidance" [syn: maternal, paternal] [ant: filial]
- Parental \Pa*ren"tal\, a. [L. parentalis.]
- Of or pertaining to a parent or to parents; as, parental authority; parental obligations.
- Becoming to, or characteristic of, parents; tender; affectionate; devoted; as, parental care. The careful course and parental provision of nature. --Sir T. Browne.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Parental'
A parent (from Latin: parēns = parent) is a caretaker of the offspring in their own species. In humans, a parent is the mother or the father figure of a child (NOTE: "child" refers to offspring, not necessarily age). Children can have one or more parents, but they must have two biological parents. Biological parents consist of the male who sired the child and the female who gave birth to the child. In all human societies, the biological mother and father are both responsible for raising their young. However, some parents may not be biologically related to their children. An adoptive parent is one who nurtures and raises the offspring of the biological parents but is not actually biologically related to the child. Children without adoptive parents can be raised by their grandparents or other family members.[See more about Parental at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Parental'
'Parental' in famous quotation sentence
* The brown bag, of course, had its imperfections. While some kids carried roast beef sandwiches, others had peanut butter. I have no way of knowing if all of those brown bags contained 'nutritionally adequate diets.' But I do know that those brown bags and those lunch pails symbolized parental love and responsibility. - Charles Mathias, Jr.
* Children whose curiosity survives parental discipline and who manage to grow up before they blow up are invited to join the Yale faculty. Within the university they go on asking their questions and trying to find the answers ... it is a place where the world's hostility to curiosity can be defied. - Edmund S. Morgan
Click here for more related quotations on 'Parental'
Parental Sample Sentences in News
- Parental controls for kid tablets that protect your child
Have you been thinking of getting your child her very own tablet? As a parent, you'll want to make sure she isn't able to visit the more unsavory parts of the Web. You may also want to restrict c... Read more on this news related to 'Parental'
- Senate OKs bill to terminate parental rights of rapists
Terminating the parental rights of a rapist would be easier for the victim under a bill the Senate approved unanimously Thursday. Read more on this news related to 'Parental'
- Consumer Reports examines PS4 parental controls
Consumer Reports and 7 On Your Side examine parental controls on the PlayStation 4. Read more on this news related to 'Parental'