Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Pare'
Pare Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- decrease gradually or bit by bit [syn: pare down]
- cut small bits or pare shavings from; "whittle a piece of wood" [syn: whittle]
- strip the skin off; "pare apples" [syn: skin, peel]
- remove the edges from and cut down to the desired size; "pare one's fingernails"; "trim the photograph"; "trim lumber" [syn: trim]
- Pare \Pare\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Pared; p. pr. & vb. n.
Paring.] [F. parer to pare, as a horse's hoofs, to dress or
curry, as, leather, to clear, as anchors or cables, to parry,
ward off, fr. L. parare to prepare. Cf. Empire, Parade,
Pardon, Parry, Prepare.]
- To cut off, or shave off, the superficial substance or extremities of; as, to pare an apple; to pare a horse's hoof.
- To remove; to separate; to cut or shave, as the skin, ring, or outside part, from anything; -- followed by off or away; as; to pare off the ring of fruit; to pare away redundancies.
- Fig.: To diminish the bulk of; to reduce; to lessen. The king began to pare a little the privilege of clergy. --Bacon.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Pare'
- Pare: Pare may refer to: Pare people , members of an ethnic group indigenous to the Pare Mountains of northern Tanzania. Pare language , a Bantu ...
- Pare Mountains: The Pare Mountains are a mountain range in north eastern Tanzania , north west of the Usambara Mountains . North and South Pare ranges, ...
- Pare people: The Pare (pronounced “Pahray”) people are members of an ethnic group indigenous to the Pare Mountains of northern Tanzania , which are ...
- Pare language: Pare, also known as Kipare, Asu, Chasu, Athu or Chathu, is a Bantu language (Northeast Coast Bantu , geographic group G.22) closely related ...
- PARE (aviation): In aviation , PARE is a mnemonic for a generic spin recovery technique applicable to many types of fixed-wing aircraft . Overview ...
Words and phrases related to 'Pare'
Pare Sample Sentences in News
- South Korean shares pare gains to end flat, won steady as intervention eyed
South Korean shares pare gains to end flat, won steady as intervention eyed Read more on this news related to 'Pare'
- Stock futures pare losses further after jobs report
Stock futures pare losses further after jobs report Read more on this news related to 'Pare'
- GLOBAL MARKETS-Shares, dollar pare losses after Iraq sell-off
* Shares cut losses, Bunds pare gains as Iraq concerns settle * U.S. stock futures turn positive, Treasury yields near 14-month low * Oil trims gains, gold near highest since July 18 By Marc Jones LONDON, Aug 8 (Reuters) - World shares and the dollar fell on Friday and oil and gold rose after President Barack Obama authorised targeted air strikes in Iraq, stoking Read more on this news related to 'Pare'