Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Pare'
Pare Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- decrease gradually or bit by bit [syn: pare down]
- cut small bits or pare shavings from; "whittle a piece of wood" [syn: whittle]
- strip the skin off; "pare apples" [syn: skin, peel]
- remove the edges from and cut down to the desired size; "pare one's fingernails"; "trim the photograph"; "trim lumber" [syn: trim]
- Pare \Pare\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Pared; p. pr. & vb. n.
Paring.] [F. parer to pare, as a horse's hoofs, to dress or
curry, as, leather, to clear, as anchors or cables, to parry,
ward off, fr. L. parare to prepare. Cf. Empire, Parade,
Pardon, Parry, Prepare.]
- To cut off, or shave off, the superficial substance or extremities of; as, to pare an apple; to pare a horse's hoof.
- To remove; to separate; to cut or shave, as the skin, ring, or outside part, from anything; -- followed by off or away; as; to pare off the ring of fruit; to pare away redundancies.
- Fig.: To diminish the bulk of; to reduce; to lessen. The king began to pare a little the privilege of clergy. --Bacon.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Pare'
- Pare: Pare may refer to: Pare people , members of an ethnic group indigenous to the Pare Mountains of northern Tanzania. Pare language , a Bantu ...
- Pare Mountains: The Pare Mountains are a mountain range in north eastern Tanzania , north west of the Usambara Mountains . North and South Pare ranges, ...
- Pare people: The Pare (pronounced “Pahray”) people are members of an ethnic group indigenous to the Pare Mountains of northern Tanzania , which are ...
- Pare language: Pare, also known as Kipare, Asu, Chasu, Athu or Chathu, is a Bantu language (Northeast Coast Bantu , geographic group G.22) closely related ...
- PARE (aviation): In aviation , PARE is a mnemonic for a generic spin recovery technique applicable to many types of fixed-wing aircraft . Overview ...
Words and phrases related to 'Pare'
Pare Sample Sentences in News
- Bond Report: Treasury yields pare losses as Fed mulls action
Treasury bonds pare modest gains on Monday, as investors consider whether the strong jobs report for November may push the Federal Reserve to scale back its bond-buying program later this month. Read more on this news related to 'Pare'
- U.K. Stocks Pare Gains, Leaving FTSE 100 Little Changed
U.K. stocks pared earlier gains, leaving the benchmark FTSE 100 Index little changed, as investors weighed a bipartisan budget deal in the U.S. to limit automatic spending cuts and avoid another government shutdown. Read more on this news related to 'Pare'
- GLOBAL MARKETS-Shares pare gains after Fed; euro falls on ECB report
* Stocks pare gains on speculation Fed tapering could start * Euro falls after report of possible ECB deposit rate * Gold prices fall on Fed, Brent rises prices fell on Wednesday while U.S. Treasury yields shot higher Read more on this news related to 'Pare'