Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Paean'
- a formal expression of praise [syn: encomium, eulogy, panegyric, pean]
- (ancient Greece) a hymn of praise (especially one sung in ancient Greece to invoke or thank a deity) [syn: pean]
- Paean \P[ae]"an\ (p[=e]`an), n. [L. paean, Gr. paia`n, fr.
Paia`n the physician of the gods, later, Apollo. Cf.
P[ae]on, Peony.] [Written also pean.]
- An ancient Greek hymn in honor of Apollo as a healing deity, and, later, a song addressed to other deities.
- Any loud and joyous song; a song of triumph. --Dryden. ``Public p[ae]ans of congratulation.'' --De Quincey.
- See P[ae]on.
- Paeon \P[ae]"on\ (p[=e]"[o^]n), n. [L. paeon, Gr. paiw`n a
solemn song, also, a p[ae]on, equiv. to paia`n. See
P[ae]an.] (Anc. Poet.)
A foot of four syllables, one long and three short, admitting
of four combinations, according to the place of the long
syllable. [Written also, less correctly, p[ae]an.]
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Paean'
A paean (pronounced /ˈpiːən/, as in "European") is a song or lyric poem expressing triumph or thanksgiving. In classical antiquity, it is usually performed by a chorus, but some examples seem intended for an individual voice (monody). It comes from the Greek παιάν (also παιήων or παιών), "song of triumph, any solemn song or chant." "Paeon" was also the name of a divine physician and an epithet of Apollo.
In Homer, Paeon
The earliest appearances of a paean or hymn of thanksgiving also appear in the Iliad. After the prayer to avert evil from the Achaeans, a paean is sung. In an almost identical line (X.391) that suggests a formulaic expression, Achilles tells the Myrmidons to sing the paean after the death of Hector.
To discover the relation between Paean or Paeon the healer-god and paean in the sense of "song" it is necessary to identify the connection between ritual chant and the shaman's healing arts. Martin Nilsson observed:[See more about Paean at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Paean'
Paean Sample Sentences in News
- 'When the Game Stands Tall': Annoying, dramatic paean to a football coach
This curious, cloistered film builds a dramatic shrine to Bob Ladouceur, the football coach who took De La Salle, a tiny all-boys Catholic school in northern California, on a decadelong unbeaten streak that reached 151 games. Read more on this news related to 'Paean'
- Friday five-a-side: this week's new bike gear
Another Friday, another paean to the towering cyclo-industrial monolith. Yes ladies and gents, it's Friday five-a-side time. New road cycling gear Hawte 53/11 jersey Are you a taller than average chap? Do regular cycling jerseys end somewhere north of your navel? Hawte has a solution in the form of the longer-than-standard 53/11 jersey, aimed at riders over 5 Read more on this news related to 'Paean'
- Don’t expect any real stuff in W’s late paean to Dad
Is Bush biography a bid to exorcise the ghosts of all who died for no reason? Read more on this news related to 'Paean'