Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Paean'
- a formal expression of praise [syn: encomium, eulogy, panegyric, pean]
- (ancient Greece) a hymn of praise (especially one sung in ancient Greece to invoke or thank a deity) [syn: pean]
- Paean \P[ae]"an\ (p[=e]`an), n. [L. paean, Gr. paia`n, fr.
Paia`n the physician of the gods, later, Apollo. Cf.
P[ae]on, Peony.] [Written also pean.]
- An ancient Greek hymn in honor of Apollo as a healing deity, and, later, a song addressed to other deities.
- Any loud and joyous song; a song of triumph. --Dryden. ``Public p[ae]ans of congratulation.'' --De Quincey.
- See P[ae]on.
- Paeon \P[ae]"on\ (p[=e]"[o^]n), n. [L. paeon, Gr. paiw`n a
solemn song, also, a p[ae]on, equiv. to paia`n. See
P[ae]an.] (Anc. Poet.)
A foot of four syllables, one long and three short, admitting
of four combinations, according to the place of the long
syllable. [Written also, less correctly, p[ae]an.]
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Paean'
A paean (pronounced /ˈpiːən/, as in "European") is a song or lyric poem expressing triumph or thanksgiving. In classical antiquity, it is usually performed by a chorus, but some examples seem intended for an individual voice (monody). It comes from the Greek παιάν (also παιήων or παιών), "song of triumph, any solemn song or chant." "Paeon" was also the name of a divine physician and an epithet of Apollo.
In Homer, Paeon
The earliest appearances of a paean or hymn of thanksgiving also appear in the Iliad. After the prayer to avert evil from the Achaeans, a paean is sung. In an almost identical line (X.391) that suggests a formulaic expression, Achilles tells the Myrmidons to sing the paean after the death of Hector.
To discover the relation between Paean or Paeon the healer-god and paean in the sense of "song" it is necessary to identify the connection between ritual chant and the shaman's healing arts. Martin Nilsson observed:[See more about Paean at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Paean'
Paean Sample Sentences in News
- Lindholm: A Paean To Spring Training
Spring training's here, and we can see coming that which we love: baseball. Read more on this news related to 'Paean'
- What Does the Supreme Court Really Think About the Right to Counsel?
The chief justice pens a paean to criminal defense attorneys, never mentioning the national crisis the Court has helped perpetuate. Read more on this news related to 'Paean'
- The Wind Rises
Hayao Miyazaki's latest film is about pursuing dreams and creating a legacy by Al Hoff "Airplanes are beautiful dreams," says a character in Hayao Miyazaki's anime, a loose biography of Japanese airplane-designer Jiro Horikoshi. It's probably no coincidence that in this paean to aeronautics, everybody constantly travels by all means of earthb Read more on this news related to 'Paean'