Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Ostentation'
- a showy outward display [syn: fanfare]
- lack of elegance as a consequence of being pompous and puffed up with vanity [syn: ostentatiousness, pomposity, pompousness, pretentiousness, splashiness, inflation]
- pretentious or showy or vulgar display
- Ostentation \Os`ten*ta"tion\, n. [L. ostentatio: cf. F.
- The act of ostentating or of making an ambitious display; unnecessary show; pretentious parade; -- usually in a detractive sense. ``Much ostentation vain of fleshly arm.'' --Milton. He knew that good and bountiful minds were sometimes inclined to ostentation. --Atterbury.
- A show or spectacle. [Obs.] --Shak. Syn: Parade; pageantry; show; pomp; pompousness; vaunting; boasting. See Parade.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Ostentation'
Boasting is the act of making an ostentatious speech.
Boasting can be seen as a form of the message "Look at me, now. Aren't I wonderful?" Feeling satisfaction about an achievement, overcoming a challenge, a difficult accomplishment, and other similar events is to be expected. The feelings of satisfaction are pleasant and contribute positively to our self-concept and our self-esteem. We can and do feel good about ourselves. There is also the urge to share some of this satisfaction with others and the hope that they will feel a sense of pride and accomplishment with us. These are all expected feelings that any of us can identify with and probably have acted on. As described this is not boasting.
Boasting occurs when someone not only feels a sense of satisfaction but also feels that whatever occurred proves their superiority, and is recounting accomplishments that so that others will feel admiration and envy. The accomplishment is not enough; there must be admiration and envy from others, Which is a form of aggression. Also, boasting can involve magnifying an accomplishment out of proportion to its importance.[See more about Ostentation at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Ostentation'
'Ostentation' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Ostentation'