Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Ordinal'
Ordinal Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- of or relating to a taxonomic order; "family and ordinal names of animals and plants"
- being or denoting a numerical order in a series; "ordinal numbers"; "held an ordinal rank of seventh" [ant: cardinal] n : the number designating place in an ordered sequence [syn: ordinal number, no.]
- Ordinal \Or"di*nal\, a. [L. ordinalis, fr. ordo, ordinis, order.
- Indicating order or succession; as, the ordinal numbers, first, second, third, etc.
- Of or pertaining to an order.
- Ordinal \Or"di*nal\, n.
- A word or number denoting order or succession.
- (Ch. of Eng.) The book of forms for making, ordaining, and consecrating bishops, priests, and deacons.
- (R. C. Ch.) A book containing the rubrics of the Mass. [Written also ordinale.]
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Ordinal'
- Ordinal: Ordinal may refer to: Ordinal number (linguistics), a word representing the rank of a number. Ordinal indicator , the sign adjacent to a ...
- Ordinal number: In set theory , an ordinal number, or just ordinal, is the order type of a well-ordered set . They are usually identified with ...
- Large countable ordinal: In the mathematical discipline of set theory , there are many ways of describing specific countable ordinals . The smallest ones can be ...
- Ordinal number (linguistics): In linguistics, ordinal numbers are the words representing the rank of a number with respect to some order, in particular order or position ...
- Monarchical ordinal: Ordinal numbers or regnal numbers are used to distinguish among persons with the same name who held the same office. Most importantly, ...
- Ordinal utility: Ordinal utility theory states that while the utility of a particular good or service cannot be measured using a numerical scale bearing ...
Words and phrases related to 'Ordinal'
Ordinal Sample Sentences in News
- Where Weird Celebrity Baby Names Come From
Some celebrities name their babies after fruits and prophets, others after ordinal directions, others still after California beaches. Fergie and Josh Duhamel's unusual baby name, Axl Jack, came to Fergie in a dream, she revealed yesterday. “I was in the audience at this festival,” she told Ellen DeGeneres. “It was ... More » Read more on this news related to 'Ordinal'