Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Observed'
adj : discovered or determined by scientific observation;
"variation in the ascertained flux depends on a number
of factors"; "the discovered behavior norms";
"discovered differences in achievement"; "no
explanation for the observed phenomena" [syn: ascertained,
- Observe \Ob*serve"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Observed; p. pr. &
vb. n. Observing.] [L. observare, observatum; ob (see
Ob-) + servare to save, preserve, keep, heed, observe:
cf.F. observer. See Serve.]
- To take notice of by appropriate conduct; to conform one's action or practice to; to keep; to heed; to obey; to comply with; as, to observe rules or commands; to observe civility. Ye shall observe the feast of unleavened bread. --Ex. xii. 17. He wolde no such cursedness observe. --Chaucer. Must I budge? Must I observe you? --Shak. With solemn purpose to observe Immutably his sovereign will. --Milton.
- To be on the watch respecting; to pay attention to; to notice with care; to see; to perceive; to discover; as, to observe an eclipse; to observe the color or fashion of a dress; to observe the movements of an army.
- To express as what has been noticed; to utter as a remark; to say in a casual or incidental way; to remark.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Observed'
Observation is either an activity of a living being (such as a human), consisting of receiving knowledge of the outside world through the senses, or the recording of data using scientific instrument. The term may also refer to any data collected during this activity. An observation can also be the way you look at things or when you look at something.
The scientific method requires observations of nature to formulate and test hypotheses. It consists of these steps:
Observation plays a role in the second and fifth steps. However the need for reproducibility requires that observations by different observers be comparable. Human sense impressions are subjective and qualitative making them difficult to record or compare. The idea of measurement evolved to allow recording and comparison of observations made at different times and places by different people. Measurement consists of using observation to compare the thing being measured to a standard; an artifact, process or definition which can be duplicated or shared by all observers, and counting how many of the standard units are comparable to the object. Measurement reduces an observation to a number which can be recorded, and two observations which result in the same number are equal within the resolution of the process.[See more about Observed at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Observed'
'Observed' in famous quotation sentence
* Man, being the servant and interpreter of nature, can do and understand so much and so much only as he has observed in fact or in thought of the course of nature beyond this he neither knows anything nor can do anything. - Francis Bacon
* It has been observed that a pure democracy if it were practicable would be the most perfect government. Experience has proved that no position is more false than this. The ancient democracies in which the people themselves deliberated never possessed one good feature of government. Their very character was tyranny their figure deformity. - Alexander Hamilton
Click here for more related quotations on 'Observed'
Observed Sample Sentences in News
- Scientists observe quantum vortices in cold helium droplets
Illustration only. An international research team including DESY scientists has observed tiny quantum vortices in cold droplets of liquid helium. The team reports in the journal Science that the exotic vortices arrange themselves as densely packed lattices inside the nanodroplets. Read more on this news related to 'Observed'
- Four Sharks Observed ‘Circling’ Swimmers Off Manhattan Beach Pier
Four white sharks were observed “circling” swimmers off Los Angeles County’s Manhattan Beach pier Sunday morning, the same spot where a man was attacked earlier in the summer. The sharks were believed to be juvenile great whites, according to The Huffington Post. No attacks were reported, and the predators were monitored by lifeguards for 30 Read more on this news related to 'Observed'
- Boise State University Physicist Helps Unravel Mystery of Death Valley's Sailing Stones
Scientists have visited the playa for decades but the sailing stones had never been observed in motion. Until now. Read more on this news related to 'Observed'