Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Observed'
adj : discovered or determined by scientific observation;
"variation in the ascertained flux depends on a number
of factors"; "the discovered behavior norms";
"discovered differences in achievement"; "no
explanation for the observed phenomena" [syn: ascertained,
- Observe \Ob*serve"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Observed; p. pr. &
vb. n. Observing.] [L. observare, observatum; ob (see
Ob-) + servare to save, preserve, keep, heed, observe:
cf.F. observer. See Serve.]
- To take notice of by appropriate conduct; to conform one's action or practice to; to keep; to heed; to obey; to comply with; as, to observe rules or commands; to observe civility. Ye shall observe the feast of unleavened bread. --Ex. xii. 17. He wolde no such cursedness observe. --Chaucer. Must I budge? Must I observe you? --Shak. With solemn purpose to observe Immutably his sovereign will. --Milton.
- To be on the watch respecting; to pay attention to; to notice with care; to see; to perceive; to discover; as, to observe an eclipse; to observe the color or fashion of a dress; to observe the movements of an army.
- To express as what has been noticed; to utter as a remark; to say in a casual or incidental way; to remark.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Observed'
Observation is either an activity of a living being (such as a human), consisting of receiving knowledge of the outside world through the senses, or the recording of data using scientific instrument. The term may also refer to any data collected during this activity. An observation can also be the way you look at things or when you look at something.
The scientific method requires observations of nature to formulate and test hypotheses. It consists of these steps:
Observation plays a role in the second and fifth steps. However the need for reproducibility requires that observations by different observers be comparable. Human sense impressions are subjective and qualitative making them difficult to record or compare. The idea of measurement evolved to allow recording and comparison of observations made at different times and places by different people. Measurement consists of using observation to compare the thing being measured to a standard; an artifact, process or definition which can be duplicated or shared by all observers, and counting how many of the standard units are comparable to the object. Measurement reduces an observation to a number which can be recorded, and two observations which result in the same number are equal within the resolution of the process.[See more about Observed at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Observed'
'Observed' in famous quotation sentence
* Man, being the servant and interpreter of nature, can do and understand so much and so much only as he has observed in fact or in thought of the course of nature beyond this he neither knows anything nor can do anything. - Francis Bacon
* It has been observed that a pure democracy if it were practicable would be the most perfect government. Experience has proved that no position is more false than this. The ancient democracies in which the people themselves deliberated never possessed one good feature of government. Their very character was tyranny their figure deformity. - Alexander Hamilton
Click here for more related quotations on 'Observed'
Observed Sample Sentences in News
- Fate Therapeutics Announces Observed Effects of Pharmacologic Modulation on T Cell Compartment From Its Phase 1b Study ...
SAN DIEGO -- Fate Therapeutics, Inc. , a biopharmaceutical company engaged in the discovery and development of adult stem cell modulators to treat orphan diseases, announced today the release of new data ... Read more on this news related to 'Observed'
- MISSING MH370: Moment of silence observed in Parliament
KUALA LUMPUR: The parliament today observed a moment of silence in prayer for the passengers, crew and their families of flight MH370 at the beginning of the second session of the 13th Parliament here. Read more on this news related to 'Observed'
- Fewer are behaving badly at work, survey finds. What changed?
Observed misconduct in American workplaces is at its lowest point in almost two decades, an achievement that appears to be related to companies’ increasing investment in ethics and compliance initiatives. A survey of about 6,400 part- and full-time workers in the for-profit sector found that 41 percent had observed misconduct in their offices last year, accordin Read more on this news related to 'Observed'