Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Observatory'
- a building designed and equipped to observe astronomical phenomena
- a structure commanding a wide view of its surroundings [syn: lookout, observation tower, lookout station]
- Observatory \Ob*serv"a*to*ry\, n.; pl. Observatories. [Cf. F.
- A place or building for making observations on the heavenly bodies. The new observatory in Greenwich Park. --Evelyn.
- A building fitted with instruments for making systematic observations of any particular class or series of natural phenomena.
- A place, as an elevated chamber, from which a view may be observed or commanded.
- (Mil.) A lookout on a flank of a battery whence an officer can note the range and effect of the fire. --Farrow.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Observatory'
An observatory is a location used for observing terrestrial and/or celestial events. Astronomy, climatology/meteorology, geology, oceanography and volcanology are examples of disciplines for which observatories have been constructed. Historically, observatories were as simple as containing an astronomical sextant (for measuring the distance between stars) or Stonehenge (which has some alignments on astronomical phenomena).
Ground-based observatories, located on the surface of Earth, are used to make observations in the radio and visible light portions of the electromagnetic spectrum. Most optical telescopes are housed within a dome or similar structure, to protect the delicate instruments from the elements. Telescope domes have a slit or other opening in the roof that can be opened during observing, and closed when the telescope is not in use. In most cases, the entire upper portion of the telescope dome can be rotated to allow the instrument to observe different sections of the night sky. Radio telescopes usually do not have domes.[See more about Observatory at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Observatory'
Observatory Sample Sentences in News
- The Griffith Observatory: Where Fun And Science Meet
As one of the most historic observatories in the country, the Griffith Observatory is an amazing place to visit for a glimpse at the stars. Load up the whole family for this educational and exciting trip. Read more on this news related to 'Observatory'
- Observatory moving to Air & Space Museum in Ashland
The telescopes and astronomy programs at the Millard Observatory can now be found at the museum in Ashland. Read more on this news related to 'Observatory'
- Plea over suffragette bomb mystery
Information on the bomber who 100 years ago attacked the Royal Observatory in Edinburgh during a suffragette campaign is sought. Read more on this news related to 'Observatory'