Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Observatory'
- a building designed and equipped to observe astronomical phenomena
- a structure commanding a wide view of its surroundings [syn: lookout, observation tower, lookout station]
- Observatory \Ob*serv"a*to*ry\, n.; pl. Observatories. [Cf. F.
- A place or building for making observations on the heavenly bodies. The new observatory in Greenwich Park. --Evelyn.
- A building fitted with instruments for making systematic observations of any particular class or series of natural phenomena.
- A place, as an elevated chamber, from which a view may be observed or commanded.
- (Mil.) A lookout on a flank of a battery whence an officer can note the range and effect of the fire. --Farrow.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Observatory'
An observatory is a location used for observing terrestrial and/or celestial events. Astronomy, climatology/meteorology, geology, oceanography and volcanology are examples of disciplines for which observatories have been constructed. Historically, observatories were as simple as containing an astronomical sextant (for measuring the distance between stars) or Stonehenge (which has some alignments on astronomical phenomena).
Ground-based observatories, located on the surface of Earth, are used to make observations in the radio and visible light portions of the electromagnetic spectrum. Most optical telescopes are housed within a dome or similar structure, to protect the delicate instruments from the elements. Telescope domes have a slit or other opening in the roof that can be opened during observing, and closed when the telescope is not in use. In most cases, the entire upper portion of the telescope dome can be rotated to allow the instrument to observe different sections of the night sky. Radio telescopes usually do not have domes.[See more about Observatory at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Observatory'
Observatory Sample Sentences in News
- The Holiday Spirit Soars at Sky View Observatory
SEATTLE, Dec. 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The 2013 Holiday Season soars to new heights thanks to the Sky View Observatory, located on Floor 73 of the Columbia Center at 701 Fifth Avenue. Centrally located in the heart of Seattle's downtown, the Columbia Center is pleased to announce that the fully renovated and upgraded SVO will be decorated and open throughout t Read more on this news related to 'Observatory'
- New director of Weston Observatory named
The Weston Observatory of Earth & Environmental Sciences at Boston College welcomed geophysicist Alan L. Kafka, Ph.D., as its new director. He brings a fresh and exciting approach to the mission of the Weston Observatory. Read more on this news related to 'Observatory'
- An Icy Observatory Detects Neutrinos From Far, Far Away
Over two years, the IceCube Neutrino observatory in Antarctica detected 28 neutrinos from outside our solar system, the first detected since 1987. Read more on this news related to 'Observatory'