Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Nutrition'
- (physiology) the organic process of nourishing or being nourished; the processes by which an organism assimilates food and uses it for growth and maintenance
- a source of materials to nourish the body [syn: nutriment, nourishment, sustenance, aliment, alimentation, victuals]
- the scientific study of food and drink (especially in humans)
- Nutrition \Nu*tri"tion\, n. [Cf. F. nutrition. See
- (Physiol.) In the broadest sense, a process or series of processes by which the living organism as a whole (or its component parts or organs) is maintained in its normal condition of life and growth. Note: In this wide sense it comprehends digestion, absorption, circulation, assimilation, etc., in fact all of the steps by which the nutritive matter of the food is fitted for incorporation with the different tissues, and the changes which it undergoes after its assimilation, prior to its excretion. See Metabolism.
- (Physiol.) In a more limited sense, the process by which the living tissues take up, from the blood, matters necessary either for their repair or for the performance of their healthy functions.
- That which nourishes; nutriment. Fixed like a plant, on his peculiar spot, To draw nutrition, propagate, and rot. --Pope.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Nutrition'
Nutrition (also called nourishment or aliment) is the provision, to cells and organisms, of the materials necessary (in the form of food) to support life. Many common health problems can be prevented or alleviated with a healthy diet.
Nutrition science investigates the metabolic and physiological responses of the body to diet. With advances in the fields of molecular biology, biochemistry, and genetics, the study of nutrition is increasingly concerned with metabolism and metabolic pathways: the sequences of biochemical steps through which substances in living things change from one form to another.
Nitrogen is needed by animals to build proteins. Carnivore and herbivore diets vary in their source of nitrogen, which is a limiting nutrient for both. Herbivores consume plants to get nitrogen and carnivores consume other animals to obtain nitrogen. Nitrogen is a common element in the atmosphere but exists in a state that is not usable by most living organisms. Certain fungi and bacteria are able to convert atmospheric nitrogen into a form plants can absorb and utilize via nitrogen fixation.[See more about Nutrition at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Nutrition'
Nutrition Sample Sentences in News
- Herbalife Returns as Official Nutrition Sponsor of the 2014 Billboard Latin Music Conference and Awards
Herbalife announced its participation for a second consecutive year as the exclusive nutrition sponsor for Latin music's premier event, the Billboard Latin Music Confer Read more on this news related to 'Nutrition'
- CEN Biotech Appoints John A. Germinario as Chairman of the Board
Creative Edge Nutrition, Inc. , CEN Biotech, announced today the appointment of John A. Germinario as Chairman of the Board of Directors effective immediately. Read more on this news related to 'Nutrition'
- Alcresta Announces Agreement with Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Therapeutics to Develop Point-of-Care Nutritional Products
Alcresta®, a leading medical nutrition company developing innovative enzyme-based products for individuals with unique nutritional needs battling acute conditions or chronic diseases, today announced the company has signed an agreement with Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Therapeutics to accelerate the development of Alcresta’s enzyme-based point-of-care products to Read more on this news related to 'Nutrition'