Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Nutrition'
- (physiology) the organic process of nourishing or being nourished; the processes by which an organism assimilates food and uses it for growth and maintenance
- a source of materials to nourish the body [syn: nutriment, nourishment, sustenance, aliment, alimentation, victuals]
- the scientific study of food and drink (especially in humans)
- Nutrition \Nu*tri"tion\, n. [Cf. F. nutrition. See
- (Physiol.) In the broadest sense, a process or series of processes by which the living organism as a whole (or its component parts or organs) is maintained in its normal condition of life and growth. Note: In this wide sense it comprehends digestion, absorption, circulation, assimilation, etc., in fact all of the steps by which the nutritive matter of the food is fitted for incorporation with the different tissues, and the changes which it undergoes after its assimilation, prior to its excretion. See Metabolism.
- (Physiol.) In a more limited sense, the process by which the living tissues take up, from the blood, matters necessary either for their repair or for the performance of their healthy functions.
- That which nourishes; nutriment. Fixed like a plant, on his peculiar spot, To draw nutrition, propagate, and rot. --Pope.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Nutrition'
Nutrition (also called nourishment or aliment) is the provision, to cells and organisms, of the materials necessary (in the form of food) to support life. Many common health problems can be prevented or alleviated with a healthy diet.
Nutrition science investigates the metabolic and physiological responses of the body to diet. With advances in the fields of molecular biology, biochemistry, and genetics, the study of nutrition is increasingly concerned with metabolism and metabolic pathways: the sequences of biochemical steps through which substances in living things change from one form to another.
Nitrogen is needed by animals to build proteins. Carnivore and herbivore diets vary in their source of nitrogen, which is a limiting nutrient for both. Herbivores consume plants to get nitrogen and carnivores consume other animals to obtain nitrogen. Nitrogen is a common element in the atmosphere but exists in a state that is not usable by most living organisms. Certain fungi and bacteria are able to convert atmospheric nitrogen into a form plants can absorb and utilize via nitrogen fixation.[See more about Nutrition at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Nutrition'
Nutrition Sample Sentences in News
- Danone could spend Medical Nutrition cash on baby food, dairy deals
If French food group Danone decides to sell its slowing medical nutrition business, it is most likely to invest the proceeds in its faster growth baby food and dairy businesses, targeting acquisitions in Asia and Africa. While Danone has declined to comment, analysts see it spending any proceeds on bolt-on acquisitions where it is achieving higher growth, higher p Read more on this news related to 'Nutrition'
- Creative Edge Nutrition Inc. (FITX) Signs Agreement to Acquire Hemp Technologies Ltd.
MADISON HEIGHTS, MI / ACCESSWIRE / March 7, 2014 / Creative Edge Nutrition, Inc. (PINKSHEETS: FITX), is proud to announce that it has acquired the assets of the global holdings of Hemp Technologies Ltd. ... Read more on this news related to 'Nutrition'
- Nutrition News: Leafy greens are nutrition rockstars
We could pick a lot of food to fit this category, but when it comes to nutrition, leafy greens are rockstars, according to the latest issue of Food & Nutrition magazine. Read more on this news related to 'Nutrition'