Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Nose'
- the organ of smell and entrance to the respiratory tract; the prominent part of the face of man or other mammals; "he has a cold in the nose" [syn: olfactory organ]
- a front that resembles a human nose (especially the front of an aircraft); "the nose of the rocket heated up on reentry"
- the front or forward projection of a tool or weapon; "he ducked under the nose of the gun"
- a small distance; "my horse lost the race by a nose"
- the sense of smell (especially in animals); "the hound has a good nose"
- a natural skill; "he has a nose for good deals"
- a projecting spout from which a fluid is discharged [syn: nozzle] v
- search or inquire in a meddlesome way; "This guy is always nosing around the office" [syn: pry, poke]
- advance the forward part of with caution; "She nosed the car into the left lane"
- catch the scent of; get wind of; "The dog nosed out the drugs" [syn: scent, wind]
- push or move with the nose
- rub noses [syn: nuzzle]
- defeat by a narrow margin
- Nose \Nose\, n. [AS. nosu; akin to D. neus, G. nase, OHG. nasa,
Icel. n["o]s, Sw. n["a]sa, Dan. n["a]se, Lith. nosis, Russ.
nos', L. nasus, nares, Skr. n[=a]s[=a], n[=a]s. ? Cf.
Nasal, Nasturtium, Naze, Nostril, Nozzle.]
- (Anat.) The prominent part of the face or anterior extremity of the head containing the nostrils and olfactory cavities; the olfactory organ. See Nostril, and Olfactory organ under Olfactory.
- The power of smelling; hence, scent. We are not offended with a dog for a better nose than his master. --Collier.
- A projecting end or beak at the front of an object; a snout; a nozzle; a spout; as, the nose of a bellows; the nose of a teakettle. Nose bit (Carp.), a bit similar to a gouge bit, but having a cutting edge on one side of its boring end. Nose hammer (Mach.), a frontal hammer. Nose hole (Glass Making), a small opening in a furnace,
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Nose'
Physically a nose is an organ on the face. Anatomically, a nose is a protuberance in vertebrates that houses the nostrils, or nares, which admit and expel air for respiration in conjunction with the mouth. Behind the nose are the olfactory mucosa and the sinuses. Behind the nasal cavity, air next passes through the pharynx, shared with the digestive system, and then into the rest of the respiratory system. In humans, the nose is located centrally on the face; on most other mammals, it is on the upper tip of the snout.
As an interface between the body and the external world, the nose and associated structures frequently perform additional functions concerned with conditioning entering air (for instance, by warming and/or humidifying it, also for flicking if moving and by mostly reclaiming moisture from the air before it is exhaled (as occurs most efficiently in camels). The nose often has inner hairs whose function is to stop unwanted particles from entering the lungs.[See more about Nose at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Nose'
'Nose' in famous quotation sentence
* The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins. - Oliver Wendell Holmes
* All men are born with a nose and ten fingers, but no one was born with a knowledge of God. - Voltaire
Click here for more related quotations on 'Nose'
Nose Sample Sentences in News
- Man Sues After Nose Job Nightmare
Vishal Thakkar says his cosmetic surgeon 'cut off' his nose after a series of failed surgeries. Read more on this news related to 'Nose'
- Did Amanda Bynes Follow Through With Her Nose Job?
In case you didn't believe her the first time she tweeted about it, Amanda Bynes is reiterating that she indeed did commit to her decision to get a nose job. Then again, these days with Bynes, the Stephen Colbert concept … Continue reading → Read more on this news related to 'Nose'
- Rhinoplasty, or Nose Reshaping, Provides Most Cosmetic and Emotional Benefit when Expectations are Clear and Realistic
TARRYTOWN, N.Y., June 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Rhinoplasty, or a "nose job," is the second most commonly performed cosmetic surgical procedure in the United States, but is also a complex surgery ... Read more on this news related to 'Nose'