Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Newspaper'
- a daily or weekly publication on folded sheets; contains news and articles and advertisements; "he read his newspaper at breakfast" [syn: paper]
- a business firm that publishes newspapers; "Murdoch owns many newspapers" [syn: paper, newspaper publisher]
- a newspaper as a physical object; "when it began to rain he covered his head with a newspaper" [syn: paper]
- cheap paper made from wood pulp and used for printing newspapers; "they used bales of newspaper every day" [syn: newsprint]
- Newspaper \News"pa`per\, n.
A sheet of paper printed and distributed, at stated
intervals, for conveying intelligence of passing events,
advocating opinions, etc.; a public print that circulates
news, advertisements, proceedings of legislative bodies,
public announcements, etc.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Newspaper'
A newspaper is a regularly scheduled publication containing news, information, and advertising. By 2007 there were 6580 daily newspapers in the world (including 1456 in the U.S.) selling 395 million copies a day (55 million in the U.S).
General-interest newspapers typically publish stories on local and national political events and personalities, crime, business, entertainment, society and sports. Most traditional papers also feature an editorial page containing editorials written by an editor and columns that express the personal opinions of writers. Other features include display and classified advertising, comics, and inserts from local merchants.
The newspaper is typically funded by paid subscriptions and advertising.
A wide variety of material has been published in newspapers, including editorial opinions, criticism, persuasion and op-eds; obituaries; entertainment features such as crosswords, sudoku and horoscopes; weather news and forecasts; advice, food and other columns; reviews of movies, plays and restaurants; classified ads; display ads, editorial cartoons and comic strips.[See more about Newspaper at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Newspaper'
'Newspaper' in famous quotation sentence
* Th' newspaper does ivrything f'r us. It runs th' polis foorce an' th' banks, commands th' milishy, controls th'ligislachure, baptizes th' young, marries th' foolish, comforts th' afflicted, afflicts th' comfortable, buries th' dead an' roasts thim aftherward. - Finley Peter Dunne
* Once a newspaper touches a story, the facts are lost forever, even to the protagonists. - Norman Mailer
Click here for more related quotations on 'Newspaper'
Newspaper Sample Sentences in News
- Jack Griffin picked to lead Tribune newspaper group
Veteran New York-based publisher Jack Griffin has landed a big newspaper job in Chicago. The former short-term chief executive of Time Inc. and 20-year magazine veteran has been tapped to... Read more on this news related to 'Newspaper'
- Newspaper apologizes for cartoon comparing Harper government to Nazis
A community newspaper in Nova Scotia has issued an apology for publishing an editorial cartoon, this week, which included a Nazi flag flying over Parliament Hill. @Dakneez @cr8tiveCandy pic.twitter.com/TOlYTCefBM — Tyler Cameron (@tylercameron) March 6, 2014 After national media attention … Continue reading → Read more on this news related to 'Newspaper'
- Venezuelan court will hear case against newspaper
CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) — A Venezuelan newspaper says a court has agreed to hear a defamation suit against it brought by the national assembly president. Read more on this news related to 'Newspaper'