Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Nest'
- a structure in which animals lay eggs or give birth to their young
- a kind of gun emplacement; "a machine-gun nest"; "a nest of snipers"
- a cosy or secluded retreat
- a gang of people (criminals or spies or terrorists) assembled in one locality; "a nest of thieves"
- furniture pieces made to fit close together v
- inhabit a nest, usually after building; "birds are nesting outside my window every Spring"
- fit together or fit inside; "nested bowls"
- move or arrange oneself in a comfortable and cozy position; "We cuddled against each other to keep warm"; "The children snuggled into their sleeping bags" [syn: cuddle, snuggle, nestle, nuzzle, draw close]
- gather nests
- Nest \Nest\, n. [AS. nest; akin to D. & G. nest, Sw. n["a]ste,
L. nidus, for nisdus, Skr. n[=i]?a resting place, nest; cf.
Lith. lizdas, Arm. neiz, Gael. & Ir. nead. Prob. from the
particle ni down, Skr. ni + the root of E. sit, and thus
orig., a place to sit down in. [root] 26
- See Nether, and Sit, and cf. Eyas, Nidification, Nye.]
- The bed or receptacle prepared by a fowl for holding her eggs and for hatching and rearing her young. The birds of the air have nests. --Matt. viii. 20.
- Hence: the place in which the eggs of other animals, as insects, turtles, etc., are laid and hatched; a snug place in which young animals are reared. --Bentley.
- A snug, comfortable, or cozy residence or situation; a retreat, or place of habitual resort; hence, those who occupy a nest, frequent a haunt, or are associated in the same pursuit; as, a nest of traitors; a nest of bugs. A little cottage, like some poor man's nest. --Spenser.
- (Geol.) An aggregated mass of any ore or mineral, in an isolated state, within a rock.
- A collection of boxes, cases, or the like, of graduated size, each put within the one next larger.
- (Mech.) A compact group of pulleys, gears, springs, etc., working together or collectively. Nest egg, an egg left in the nest to prevent the hen from forsaking it, and to induce her to lay more in the same place; hence, figuratively, something laid up as the
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Nest'
A nest is a place of refuge to hold an animal's eggs and/or provide a place to live or raise offspring. They are usually made of some organic material such as twigs, grass, and leaves; or may simply be a depression in the ground, or a hole in a tree, rock or building. Human-made materials, such as string, plastic, cloth, hair or paper, may be used.
Generally each species has a distinctive style of nest. Nests can be found in many different habitats. They are built primarily by birds, but also by mammals (e.g. squirrels), fish, insects (e.g. wasps and termites) and reptiles (e.g. snakes and turtles).
The urge to prepare an area for the building of a nest is referred to as the nesting instinct and may occur in both mammals and birds.
Most species of birds build some sort of nest, though some lay their eggs directly onto rock ledges or bare soil without first modifying the area.[See more about Nest at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Nest'
'Nest' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Nest'
Nest Sample Sentences in News
- Spotify to acquire music recommendation service The Echo Nest
Ananth Baliga OSLO, Norway, March 6 (UPI) -- Spotify will acquire music intelligence company The Echo Nest, which the company says will improve user experience and the music discovery engine's performance. Read more on this news related to 'Nest'
- Spotify acquires The Echo Nest and its musical smarts
Streaming music service Spotify has acquired The Echo Nest and its graph of musical data spanning more than 35 million songs and 2 million artists. It's an easy way for Spotify to match companies like ... Read more on this news related to 'Nest'
- Missoula protects osprey nest from Canada goose
MISSOULA, Mont. (AP) - Workers in Missoula have made a high-profile osprey nest atop a pole next to a baseball park goose-proof in an effort to avoid the kind of drama that developed last spring. The Missoulian reports (http://bit.ly/1n5Rf5C) a metal mesh cone has been placed over the ... Read more on this news related to 'Nest'